Author Topic: Last night's Hero Among Us Award (Please read)  (Read 9863 times)

Last night's Hero Among Us Award (Please read)
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
OK Guys,

This is serious and I truly hope you read this.

Last evening, I was deeply moved during the 2nd quarter presentation for the recipient of evening’s “Heroes Among Us Award” and would like to share the moment with all of you.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the program, “The Heroes Among Us Award is presented to an individual or individuals who, through their unique commitment and humanitarian spirit, have made exceptional and lasting contributions to our community. At each home game, the Celtics and their fans have saluted the exemplary efforts of these citizens during a special in-game presentation.” (Celtics.com)

Last night’s award was given to Kevin & Eileen Jones of Westminster MA on behalf of their son Ryan who was killed last May in Iraq.  Ryan was only 23 years old when his vehicle hit a roadside IED.

Ryan’s parents were there last night because “Before Army Lieutenant Ryan Jones left for Iraq, he gave his parents an envelope with instructions not to open it unless he lost his life in battle.   After Ryan was killed during active duty, his parents opened the letter to find out that Ryan left instructions to use his $400,000 life insurance policy to start a scholarship at his High School.

Ryan’s parents have not only established his scholarship, but also created the Ryan Patrick Jones Heart of a Hero Foundation to support the charities that Ryan cared about the most.   (Direct from last evening’s introduction)

23 years old, killed in Iraq.  23 years old, killed while thinking of others.  A true hero.

There wasn’t a dry eye in my section as Kevin & Eileen received a few minute standing ovation.

This morning I spoke with Boston Celtics Community Relations Manager, Matt Meyersohn.  Matt informed me that the Ryan Patrick Jones Heart of a Hero Foundation is accepting donations and that these donations would be considered tax deductible once the Foundation gets 501(c3) recognition.

I AM ASKING YOU TO JOIN ME IN SUPPORTING THIS
(And I am willing to put my money & Sox tickets where my mouth is)

I apologize if this sounds a bit hokey, but I believe this board is full of good people.  Obviously we all care deeply about the Celtics and I know from the level of passion in the previous political posts, this board is full of people who care deeply about our country’s soldiers (No matter what opinion of the war you have).

What better way for all of us on Celtics Blog to honor the team we love and the men & women who serve our country than to support the Ryan Jones Foundation which was honored by the Celtics? 

Ryan Patrick Jones Memorial Foundation
c/o IC Credit Union
124 Main St.
Westminster, MA  01473
Tax ID #26-1611030
All money received goes into this fund until the foundation is completely set-up (they are in process)

I am making a $100 dollar donation to the Foundation and ask all of you to join me in supporting the Celtics and the memory of Army Lieutenant Ryan Jones.

As I mentioned, I talked with Matt Meyersohn and he spoke with Ryan’s parents today.  I told him that not only was I going to donate $100, but that I was going to ask all of you to reach into your hearts and donate as well.  I told him that above and beyond my donation, I would match the first $150 to Ryan’s Foundation that came in referencing Celtics Blog.

Also, every donation of $20 or more referencing Celtics Blog that comes into the Foundation before 8/15 will be entered into a random drawing for two tickets to the 9/2/08 Red Sox game against the Orioles (If I had Celtics tickets, I'd offer those).  Someone at the Foundation will draw the name and hold onto the tickets.

I cannot imagine how difficult it was for Kevin & Eileen last night, but I can only imagine how proud they are of their son.  The Celtics have given us a tremendous amount of pleasure this year as has this board.  I ask you all to reach into your hearts and wallets and send $20 to the Ryan Patrick Jones Memorial Foundation.

Thank you.

Peace & Go Celtics
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

Re: Last night's Hero Among Us Award (Please read)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 01:25:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I have read the story of Ryan and his folks before ... great piece here, and thanks for bringing it to our attention ... TP. I am pleased to help out! Hope others will do the same. God Bless the Jones and their efforts, and you as well, SSF!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:38:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
there are many deserving hero among us stories that deserve our attention.  last night's was a very special one.  i could have easily gotten emotional if i didnt fight back the tears, as i listened to the story, saw the pictures, and to see his parents there. truly a sad, yet uplifting and inspirational story.

ssfan, thanks for doing the research for the address for the contributions. great work

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
SShoreFan, I missed the beginning of the story last night, so I didn't hear what these folks' kid had done.  Thanks for rehashing the announcement.  The ovation was hands down the loudest and longest of the night.  Very emotional indeed.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
so many have paid the ultimate price for me...what amount could a person give to ease the lose of a child brother mother husband a friend...kinda tuff not to be angry cause it's so many things unexplained..hidden

i pray that families that have lost a loved in the war or other wise God gives them that peace of mind that that loved one is alright...

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Everyone needs to remember, do not turn this thread into a political thread.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
The folks at the Celtics are extremely touched that we would even consider this.

They've asked for the link to read it and would like to share this with Ryan's parents.  I know this is a good -- no great community.  Let's support the Celts, our community and honor a true hero.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:12:37 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
there are many deserving hero among us stories that deserve our attention.  last night's was a very special one.  i could have easily gotten emotional if i didnt fight back the tears, as i listened to the story, saw the pictures, and to see his parents there. truly a sad, yet uplifting and inspirational story.

ssfan, thanks for doing the research for the address for the contributions. great work

D-Lord, our entire section was indeed weeping --- it was amazing, to my right there was a family w/ two young girls and they were all crying, behind me a bunch of drunk guys and they were all choked up and to my left some older folks and they too were crying. 

All touched by the strength of his parents to go forth. 

Thanks so much for the kind words.

peace