Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106704 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Yes celticsclay was right, MEM is gonna depend on ping pong balls

On a brighter note (or is it?), LAC blew out BOS last night

Kings lost to WAS
LAC aren't tanking so that's good for the pick conveying this year.
Also, Sacramento hasn't been the same since Bagley got hurt as he was just starting to bring it. Could be coincidental as they've lost a couple of close ones but a blessing none the less.
shame about Bagley but it does help us with the pick.  a kind bounce of the ping pong balls would help even more.  I'd be happy with jumping up to #2.

highly hypothetical question.  if the Kings pick did jump to the #2 or #3 spot (which could be just enough to push Memphis from 8 to 9 thus giving that one to us as well this year), would you (general 'you') prefer:
1.  keep it and grab another top young talent to add to this group?
2.  use it in a deal for Davis but use it as an excuse to hold on to one of the first rounders this year?
3.  use it in a deal for Davis but use it as an excuse to hold Tatum out of the trade and use that pick as the centerpiece of the deal?

Personally, I think if the C's do get the #2, it gives them a bit more leverage to use that as the trade centerpiece (no, it won't be Zion but #2 in any draft is a pretty big deal) as opposed to Tatum.   Question at that point is who would they need  to move (or be able to move since it doesn't look like Danny's using that MLE to sign a player for salary filler in that NO deal) to match salaries.  they don't really have much in the way of mid-range salaries to match AD's salary.  I think Smart's salary is needed as is any signed draft picks used in the deal (Smart, #2, #9 & #18 are a pretty good haul for NO.  possibly need to add Semi, Yabu and/or Williams for extra salary)

I’ll go with number 3 you listed.  Some may believe that Barrett may be a better pro than Tatum.  That may end up happening, but Tatum will be in year 3 next year verses rookie Barrett or Morant, and that could matter for how good we are next year at the very least, and maybe the next couple years. Tatum is the safer choice, and still has the upside to be maybe better than either of those 2.

Now if the Kings pick lands 2 or 3, and the Grizzlies pick doesn’t convey(I think it would then increase in value) I think that would do wonders for our chances of holding onto Tatum.

It would be great if the Kings slid back to around the 10th spot.  That would give us roughly 15%-20% lottery odds of a 2-4 pick.

I would argue to the opposite.

Tatum, I love him, but Barret has a better skillset IMO.

But talent aside, the BIg BIG difference, is that Barret is a rookie, and on a rookie deal for longer.

I would have no worries dealing Tatum if we kept the number 2 draft pick and had Barret coming off the bench

Irving/Wannamaker
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Barret
Horford/Theis
Davis/Baynes

That is a lethal team. LETHAL

« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2019, 10:03:01 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
I dont see anyway that Memphis pick doesnt convey this season IMO.

NOP needs to lose ALOT, Dallas doesnt want to lose pick this year either.

Not sure why Washington wants to win at this point...

And Lebron is claiming that LA need to finish season strong, so I think he is going to push them hard for wins, Minny hopefully goes on a run, as well as 1 of Orlando/Charlotte and that makes the Sacramento pick better.

I am hoping for the 9th and the 12th picks

« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

And Lebron is claiming that LA need to finish season strong, so I think he is going to push them hard for wins, Minny hopefully goes on a run, as well as 1 of Orlando/Charlotte and that makes the Sacramento pick better.

did you mean to say you didn't see a way it would convey instead?  that would jive with the rest of your comments.

« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

did you mean to say you didn't see a way it would convey instead?  that would jive with the rest of your comments.
Looks like wouldn't, because he is saying the other teams are more aggressive tanking

« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Looks like wouldn't, because he is saying the other teams are more aggressive tanking
Even if Dallas and Washington pass Memphis on the way to the bottom, that puts Memphis at 8.  would need some real lottery magic for a team at 9 or above to jump over Memphis to knock them back a slot.   Personally, I'm rooting for Sac to make the jump to #2  if that's the case.  gives us both those picks and a lot of ammo for a trade for Davis where we may not need to sacrifice Tatum - perhaps just a S&T of Rozier and this year's first rounders with a bit more salary and maybe Williams --> the #2 pick would be the centerpiece of the deal as opposed to Tatum or Brown.  wishful thinking

« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2019, 10:54:11 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Even if Dallas and Washington pass Memphis on the way to the bottom, that puts Memphis at 8.  would need some real lottery magic for a team at 9 or above to jump over Memphis to knock them back a slot.   Personally, I'm rooting for Sac to make the jump to #2  if that's the case.  gives us both those picks and a lot of ammo for a trade for Davis where we may not need to sacrifice Tatum - perhaps just a S&T of Rozier and this year's first rounders with a bit more salary and maybe Williams --> the #2 pick would be the centerpiece of the deal as opposed to Tatum or Brown.  wishful thinking

Dallas and NOP will both pass the Grizz on the way down. Good chance that Washington does as well, putting MEmphis at 9th with a 79.7% chance of pick landing in the 9-12 range.

at 8th the chances are 39.2% the pick conveys 9-11

« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Dallas and NOP will both pass the Grizz on the way down. Good chance that Washington does as well, putting MEmphis at 9th with a 79.7% chance of pick landing in the 9-12 range.

we shall see.  I think you're overly optimistic that all 3 of those teams are going to pass Memphis.

« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2019, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bagley cleared to play and listed as probable, big game tonight

« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

we shall see.  I think you're overly optimistic that all 3 of those teams are going to pass Memphis.

I think 2 will pass.

« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

If you take a look at the remaining strength of schedule from the tankathon site Memphis is sitting at 12, Dal 15, NO 27, and Was 28.  It’s not going to be easy for Memphis to pass these teams.

« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2019, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

If you take a look at the remaining strength of schedule from the tankathon site Memphis is sitting at 12, Dal 15, NO 27, and Was 28.  It’s not going to be easy for Memphis to pass these teams.

It less about Memphis passing them, and more about them tanking out.

NOP would be completely idiotic to not tank right now. Davis is leaving at the end of season, so help youorself out.

And Dallas will lose their pick if it is 6th or worse, so they need to tank out as well. and are.

Memphis on the other hand would be MUCH better served to give up their pick THIS year, and then trade conley in the offseason and tank out next year on when they dont have to worry about losing an unprotected pick

« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

NOP would be completely idiotic to not tank right now. Davis is leaving at the end of season, so help youorself out.

And Dallas will lose their pick if it is 6th or worse, so they need to tank out as well. and are.

Memphis on the other hand would be MUCH better served to give up their pick THIS year, and then trade conley in the offseason and tank out next year on when they dont have to worry about losing an unprotected pick
the pick is top 6 protected next year.  it's not unprotected until the following year.

they did say they would prefer it to convey this year but as the strength of schedule indicates, it will be difficult for them to pass 3 teams above them in the standings to put them in the 9 slot and you still aren't cleared because they still have a small chance of jumping to the top 4 in the lottery. 

I'm torn on whether I want the pick this year or not.  if it conveys, it's likely part of the AD trade but a lesser asset in the deal.  however, it does allow us to sign that pick and use the salary for matching purposes in the deal.  On the flip side, if it carries over, it's a much more attractive trade piece for NO for next year or the year after with decreasing protections.   there's not a lot of reasons to expect them to be decent next year to it'll be a high pick.  question is will they be bottom-6 bad to keep it another year.

« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

the pick is top 6 protected next year.  it's not unprotected until the following year.

they did say they would prefer it to convey this year but as the strength of schedule indicates, it will be difficult for them to pass 3 teams above them in the standings to put them in the 9 slot and you still aren't cleared because they still have a small chance of jumping to the top 4 in the lottery. 

I'm torn on whether I want the pick this year or not.  if it conveys, it's likely part of the AD trade but a lesser asset in the deal.  however, it does allow us to sign that pick and use the salary for matching purposes in the deal.  On the flip side, if it carries over, it's a much more attractive trade piece for NO for next year or the year after with decreasing protections.   there's not a lot of reasons to expect them to be decent next year to it'll be a high pick.  question is will they be bottom-6 bad to keep it another year.

TP

Great point about the pick being another salary in the deal. I never thought of that angle
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2019, 02:33:33 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
If Memphis pick conveys, I would hope that Boston keeps either that one or the Sacramento one at the worst.

No one else can offer a top 10 pick and tatum. no one.

so why should we bid against ourselves

« Reply #194 on: March 15, 2019, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If Memphis pick conveys, I would hope that Boston keeps either that one or the Sacramento one at the worst.

No one else can offer a top 10 pick and tatum. no one.

so why should we bid against ourselves
I think that's a fair point -- particularly since the Knicks got rid of Zinger who would have made a heck of a package with the Knicks pick.

if NO is determined not to trade with the Lakers, C's would be in the driver's seat and it's going to take some finagling by Danny not to overpay or bid against himself to get Davis.  I would be tickled pink if Danny can keep at least 2 of the following: Tatum, Brown, Mem pick or Sac pick.   I think no matter what happens, Smart's included with the deal due to the money matching and he's got the only contract that can fill most of that gap.  if it costs us Tatum, Smart, Williams and the Mem pick (plus whatever's needed for salary matching), that'll probably be what Danny pays
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:25:17 PM by slamtheking »