Author Topic: Everybody, I have a very, very, URGENT annoucement! (Movies)  (Read 16240 times)

Re: Everybody, I have a very, very, URGENT annoucement! (Movies)
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
As far as modern comedies go, I'd go something like:

40 Year Old Virgin
Anchorman
Zoolander
---
Old School
Talladega Nights
Napoleon Dynamite
Superbad
Borat
Hangover
Bruno
---
Wedding Crashers
(this would've been a lot higher if they cut out the 45 unnecessary minutes of crap)
Forgetting Sara Marshall
Step Brothers
---
Role Models
I Love You, Man
Road Trip

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but I don't really care all that much and I'm just trying to kill time before I get to leave work.

Uggggg, Zoolander, Stepbrothers and Old School are so absurdly overrated.

Eh, besides 'I love you, man' I'd guess I've seen each of these movies at least 5 times each in their entirety. Some A LOT more. You might disagree with the list, but I don't think hype has much to do with my rankings. Laziness, maybe.

'Old School' is probably a good example of a movie that got over quoted (speaking of which, I left 'napoleon dynamite' off the list), and it kinda ruined that for a little. But I watched it a little while back and was reminded how pretty much every Will Ferrell and/or Vince Vaughn scene is absolutely hilarious.

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Swingers. you missed swingers.

If you're talking critically sound comedies, Superbad, Swingers, Zoolander, Old School and Anchorman would be my ideal top tier.

As long as we stop pretending 'I Love You Man' and 'Role Models' are on par with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'm willing to let this go.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

If you're talking critically sound comedies, Superbad, Swingers, Zoolander, Old School and Anchorman would be my ideal top tier.

As long as we stop pretending 'I Love You Man' and 'Role Models' are on par with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'm willing to let this go.

'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' suffers from the same problem 'Wedding Crashers' does. It's got like 45 minutes of boring, non-comedy stuff that's really unnecessary.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' suffers from the same problem 'Wedding Crashers' does. It's got like 45 minutes of boring, non-comedy stuff that's really unnecessary.

Yeah, cuz Mila Kunis isn't just about the most adorable girl ever captured on film.

It goes

1) Michael's first italian wife in 'The Godfather' (not a comedy, I don't care she is beautiful)
2) Katy from Animal House (you know her as Marion from Raiders Of The Lost Arc)
3) Mila Kunis in Forgetting Sarah Marshal.

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

Bill Simmons said this about Wedding Crashers as well.  There was like 15 minutes of Owen Wilson trying to get the girl back.  You couldn't sit through that?  Will Ferrel saved any lapse in comedy. 

Step Brothers was underated.   

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 10:46:42 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Word.  Where as Role Models Jane Lynch and Ken Jeong who kill any chance of that movie being boring.

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Forgetting Sarah Marshall>Role Models, I Love You, Man, and all the other movies K-Cat likes

Top 10 Favorite Movies

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) The Two Towers
3) Searching for Bobby Fischer
4) American History X
5) Henry V
6) Shakespeare in Love
7) Chasing Amy
8) Indiana Jones and The Lost Crusade
9) Casablanca
10) Big Fish

Like I said.

See now, you can't just pretend to put Forgetting Sarah Marshall over Empire just for the sake of being a contrarian.

I'd put it over Chasing Amy 57 times out of 60.

with a 5% margin of error.

This is just out and out wrong. Chasing Amy is a brilliant screenplay and one of three movies in which it is acceptable to say, " Ben Affleck was really good in that movie". One of the other two is on that list also.

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This doesn't further the conversation at hand (which is how awesome Forgettig Sarah Marshall is), but Ben Affleck's best performances, in order:

1) The Town
2) extract (this was for Affleck what dazed and confused was for mcgoneghy)
3) good will hunting
4) mallrats (see #2, but less)

Also, since we is also discussing Paul Rudd movies, wet hot American summer is my favorite Rudd performance, and slides beyond Pootie tang for most underappreciated comedy

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 02:36:34 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
This doesn't further the conversation at hand (which is how awesome Forgettig Sarah Marshall is), but Ben Affleck's best performances, in order:

1) The Town
3) good will hunting

Also, since we is also discussing Paul Rudd movies, wet hot American summer is my favorite Rudd performance, and slides beyond Pootie tang for most underappreciated comedy

This list is so wrong  it literally pains me.

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 04:07:05 AM »

Kiorrik

I hardly care about any comedy at all... but this had me jumping out of my seat.

Even posted it to some other forums before I replied here, so I could "bring the news" there :] Har!

Ps.: I wish *my* apartment smelled of rich mahogany :(

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 04:14:28 AM »

Kiorrik

Btw, this better not be an April fools joke :p

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 04:31:59 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

40 Year Old Virgin
Anchorman
Zoolander
---
Old School
Talladega Nights
Superbad
Borat
Hangover
Bruno
---
Forgetting Sara Marshall
Step Brothers
---
Role Models
I Love You, Man
Road Trip

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch, but I don't really care all that much and I'm just trying to kill time before I get to leave work.

Movies can't be overrated because their 'goodness' is fully dependent upon the viewers. It isn't like basketball where there is a competition to decide things and where the teams actually decide their fate.

Zoolander was brilliant.

If that list is tiered, Borat deserves to be at the top tier.

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 04:33:21 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

1) The Town
3) good will hunting

The Town was the best I've seen him. Good Will Hunting is the better movie, but Damon carries that movie.

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

40 Year Old Virgin
Anchorman
Zoolander
---
Old School
Talladega Nights
Superbad
Borat
Hangover
Bruno
---
Forgetting Sara Marshall
Step Brothers
---
Role Models
I Love You, Man
Road Trip

Movies can't be overrated because their 'goodness' is fully dependent upon the viewers. It isn't like basketball where there is a competition to decide things and where the teams actually decide their fate.

That doesn't make any sense. If many people really enjoy those movies and I think they're fairly bland, doesn't that make them overrated. My perspective on their "goodness" is that they're overrated.

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 08:38:21 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah, cuz Mila Kunis isn't just about the most adorable girl ever captured on film.

It goes

1) Michael's first italian wife in 'The Godfather' (not a comedy, I don't care she is beautiful)
2) Katy from Animal House (you know her as Marion from Raiders Of The Lost Arc)
3) Mila Kunis in Forgetting Sarah Marshal.

Not going to argue Mila Kunis' looks, I will argue that the hiking scene was enough.

Still, next time you watch the movie (it's probably on FX right now) think about it. Movie stops being funny about 2/3rds of the way through it. Still, that first 2/3rds is awesome. And yes, Mila Kunis looks 'adorable.'

(calling Mila Kunis 'adorable' has to be the biggest gap between what you'd say in a bar room and what you say on Celticsblog, right?)