Author Topic: Ender's Game  (Read 6853 times)

Re: Ender's Game
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The confrontation between Ender and Bonzo is exponentially less filmable the younger the cast is.
I know, I'm just throwing a purist tantrum.

At least Bean is a couple of years younger than most of the other kids.  Hopefully he is equally as small.  Bean is by far my favorite character in Battle School and I absolutely loved his individual story that was told in sequels.  Great read. 
Same. I don't know if this is a minority position, but 'Game and 'Shadow are the only two books in the series that I enjoyed. The others are almost completely unreadable for me.
It took me awhile to get used to the time warp on the Ender sequels, but once I did I found those story lines to be interesting and good reads, Ender just wasn't as likeable as Bean was for me and I just don't know why.

I have not yet read Shadows In Flight, which is the latest Bean book.  Nor have I read Earth Unaware which is the first of a three-part prequel to Ender's Game about the first Formic war.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
I hope I'm wrong but I see this film being a massive failure.  Hollywood is garbage lately.  I see this Enders Game film getting watered down and homogenized by focus groups and marketers. 

It's a Gavin Hood film, he's directing and co-writing with Card.  I'm not a fan of Hood's and I think he will fail to capture the book's atmosphere.  I also doubt he will be able to coax good performances out of his cast--especially the child actors. 

This thing is going to be gutted to sell Happy Meals.

Harrison Ford's is cynically cast in that role to get the older folks in the seats.  An independent minded director wanting to create their own vision wouldnt use someone from a canonical sci fi franchise in their film.  Someone got some Han Solo in my Enders Game.

EDIT:  When I say that I think this film will be a failure I mean artistically.  I think it will be a success in theaters and make huge bucks in licensing. 

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 05:03:41 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Ben Kingsley was a pretty obvious choice for mazer rackham, especially considering all the Hugo people involved.

In my head, though, it has always been Nick Nolte.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 06:00:31 AM »

Offline Caribbean

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
"Ender's Game" is a classic. One of my favourite books of all time. Every person I've recommended it to has enjoyed it - even the non sci-fi fans.