Author Topic: Mel Gibson to make movie about a Jewish Hero  (Read 9055 times)

Mel Gibson to make movie about a Jewish Hero
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/09/mel-gibson-to-produce-movie-about-jewish-icon/

Seems a bit strange if you ask me given Gibson's anti-semetic rants in the past. 

The movie is about Judah Maccabi, who led the Hebrews to victory against the Greeks/Syrians in the 2nd century B.C. and for which the Jewish holiday of Channukah is based.  After Maccabi and the Hebrews finally took back their temple from the Greek occupation they found a jar of oil that should have lasted just one day, but instead lasted for 8 days.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Mel Gibson to make movie about a Jewish Hero
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sounds interesting.  I hope he directs; he's very talented behind the camera.  As for acting in it, I think he'd be way too much of a distraction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sounds interesting.  I hope he directs; he's very talented behind the camera.  As for acting in it, I think he'd be way too much of a distraction.

For this type of movie I hope he directs. I dont think his talents as an actor would showcase well in a film like this... Has anyone seen the Beaver? Ive been looking forward to seeing it but havent had the chance yet.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its interesting.  I hope his stupid, drunk remarks don't overshadow the actual movie too much.  For all his stupidity, I cannot think of a consistently better director of historical dramas like this. 

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
it’s a shame, i would love to see this movie, but as i am Jewish, i have stopped watching Mel Gibson movies when he showed his true racist face.
they should have found someone else to do this movie.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think Gibson the actor and director are both very talented people. I think Gibson the man is 2 sandwiches short of a picnic, that would've probably been fairly racist anyways, even with the sandwiches.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Talk about a publicity stunt, only thing worse would be someone like Hitler, directing Yentl.   Mel Gibson is a rabid anti-semite.  A good director and actor but this is a stunt and little more.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »

Offline paulcowens

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 79
Do any of you folks ever ask yourselves why certain people, like Gibson, Sheen, O'Donnell and Galliano are villified?   Taking Gibson and Galliano in particular, both of whom have rightly been excoriated for vicious anti-semitic rants, have you ever wondered, as you contemplated their awfulness, what your own drunken rants might sound like if they were caught on tape or otherwise publicized?  I think that most people, if they are honest, know darn well that they've said some truly awful things in their lives that they would NEVER want to see splashed all over the tabloids and Huffington Post.  Right?  Now consider worldshaking (mis)leaders in Hollywood, DC, NYC, and elsewhere, such as studio execs, bank CEOs, etc..    What kind of stuff do you think most of those folks have said while drunk?   Why aren't their drunken rants all over the internet and tabloids?   Or if they are, why are they downplayed and ignored?   Why was Helen Thomas dragged over the coals for what she said about Israel ('jews go home'), while Netanyahu's videotaped comments in which he basically said that the US is a stooge owned by Israel, and that Americans are basically putty in Israel's hands, was ignored?  Which was the more unspeakable thing to say? 

There are reasons why one person's skeleton is dragged out of the closet, and 100 other people's skeletons are not.  Why was Spitzer's dallying with a prostitute exposed, when thousands of other pols dallying with prostitutes are ignored or covered up?  These are the questions we ought to be asking.

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Do any of you folks ever ask yourselves why certain people, like Gibson, Sheen, O'Donnell and Galliano are villified?   Taking Gibson and Galliano in particular, both of whom have rightly been excoriated for vicious anti-semitic rants, have you ever wondered, as you contemplated their awfulness, what your own drunken rants might sound like if they were caught on tape or otherwise publicized?  I think that most people, if they are honest, know darn well that they've said some truly awful things in their lives that they would NEVER want to see splashed all over the tabloids and Huffington Post.  Right?  Now consider worldshaking (mis)leaders in Hollywood, DC, NYC, and elsewhere, such as studio execs, bank CEOs, etc..    What kind of stuff do you think most of those folks have said while drunk?   Why aren't their drunken rants all over the internet and tabloids?   Or if they are, why are they downplayed and ignored?   Why was Helen Thomas dragged over the coals for what she said about Israel ('jews go home'), while Netanyahu's videotaped comments in which he basically said that the US is a stooge owned by Israel, and that Americans are basically putty in Israel's hands, was ignored?  Which was the more unspeakable thing to say? 

There are reasons why one person's skeleton is dragged out of the closet, and 100 other people's skeletons are not.  Why was Spitzer's dallying with a prostitute exposed, when thousands of other pols dallying with prostitutes are ignored or covered up?  These are the questions we ought to be asking.

See: LINK

The questions we should be asking are, "Why can't Mel Gibson stop saying such horrible things about Jewish people?", or, "Is this a real attempt by Mel Gibson to atone for something, or is he genuinely interested in the project, or is this a whole other thing??"

...cuz you, know, this is a thread about Mel Gibson. Not about "Intense introspection about my own alleged drunken rants, as well as my own hypocrisy when condemning celebrities who do similar things."

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The questions we should be asking are, "Why can't Mel Gibson stop saying such horrible things about Jewish people?", or, "Is this a real attempt by Mel Gibson to atone for something, or is he genuinely interested in the project, or is this a whole other thing??"

...cuz you, know, this is a thread about Mel Gibson. Not about "Intense introspection about my own alleged drunken rants, as well as my own hypocrisy when condemning celebrities who do similar things."

Question (that I don't know the answer to): is Gibson's anti-semitism related to his one drunken rant?  Or have their been more than one occasion?

I'm more inclined to forgive Gibson, or to accept him as something than a true anti-semite, if this was a one-time thing.  (I'm aware of his other inappropriate comments directed toward his ex, which suggests that he's fairly prejudiced all the way around.)

The Gibson household probably would have been a crazy one to grow up in.  Mel no doubt has his share of demons, just based upon what he's said and who his father was.  If this movie is his attempt to find understanding and atonement -- rather than a cheap publicity stunt -- I don't think it should be condemned.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

For this type of movie I hope he directs. I dont think his talents as an actor would showcase well in a film like this... Has anyone seen the Beaver? Ive been looking forward to seeing it but havent had the chance yet.

I did see The Beaver.  OK movie -- not great. He did a decent job in the role but the movie was mediocre.  Jodie Foster, whose work I admire, had a very ordinary role as his wife.   

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
it’s a shame, i would love to see this movie, but as i am Jewish, i have stopped watching Mel Gibson movies when he showed his true racist face.
they should have found someone else to do this movie.

I guess I've seen only evidence of an apparent prejudice rather than racism.  Racism (to me) implies a purposeful act of power that in some way results in the mistreatment, oppressesion or abuse of the less powerful -- and is applied, at least in part, because of race.  Otherwise, we are talking about stereotyping, bigotry, prejudice, bias.  I can live that since I believe we all have prejudices influenced by our orientation to the world. His, by the way, involved a clearly sick parent.  He also has unquestionably suffered his own demons that I suspect have origin in mental illness. 

That said, I am Jewish and I watch his movies -- including Passion of the Christ which I did not find particularly offensive -- I guess in part because I think anything biblical is at best a loosely retold reflection of reality -- and he has the right to create his own story.

His rant was ugly, but not as ugly as having sex and marrying one's stepdaughter -- and I still watch Woody Allen.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This is about the weirdest career move the guy could make.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:34:06 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 10:29:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Question (that I don't know the answer to): is Gibson's anti-semitism related to his one drunken rant?  Or have their been more than one occasion?

I'm more inclined to forgive Gibson, or to accept him as something than a true anti-semite, if this was a one-time thing.  (I'm aware of his other inappropriate comments directed toward his ex, which suggests that he's fairly prejudiced all the way around.)

The Gibson household probably would have been a crazy one to grow up in.  Mel no doubt has his share of demons, just based upon what he's said and who his father was.  If this movie is his attempt to find understanding and atonement -- rather than a cheap publicity stunt -- I don't think it should be condemned.
http://www.tmz.com/2011/09/10/mel-gibson-jewish-movie-judah-maccabee-hero-writer-joe-eszterhas-2006-anti-semitic-tirade-dui-arrest-apology-jewish-community-jew-responsible-for-wars-in-the-world-warner-bros/#.TonGmuxnaQw

There is a link in there with his two public apologies in addition to his reasons for wanting to make the movie (which is not as an atonement).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
have to wonder what kind of reception Hollywood and the rest of the media will give it.