Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118270 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Why is it exactly that we were unable to keep Baynes ? He would have been a huge asset to this group.

We simply don't have any size to throw at Embiid, Giannis, the Lopez brothers, Davis and Lebron, Siakim or Vucevic.
Celts do manage to win some of these games, but we get eaten alive inside against the bigger contenders.
We are too dependent on our 3-point shooting to compete at the top of the league.

Um ... Siakam is 6-9, 230 lbs. Did you mean Ibaka?

« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2020, 09:18:54 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Why is it exactly that we were unable to keep Baynes ? He would have been a huge asset to this group.

We simply don't have any size to throw at Embiid, Giannis, the Lopez brothers, Davis and Lebron, Siakim or Vucevic.
Celts do manage to win some of these games, but we get eaten alive inside against the bigger contenders.
We are too dependent on our 3-point shooting to compete at the top of the league.

Also the Lopez brothers? Robin barely even plays, and Brook just chucks 3 pointers.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2020, 10:03:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
ESPN has Celtics taking Killian Hayes at 14 in its first mock draft since lottery draw tonight. Doubt he drops that far but would be sweet if he did!!

« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2020, 10:24:08 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Also the Lopez brothers? Robin barely even plays, and Brook just chucks 3 pointers.

Brook averages 12 & 5. Hardly an all-star, but his size, along with Ante, bothers us.

Siakim, at 6-9 is still bigger than two of our centers and Kanter can't guard his athleticism.

I think my overall point is obvious. If you want to pull out a couple of marginal examples, fine. But you see what I see, size bothers our team.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:30:13 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2020, 10:24:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
ESPN has Celtics taking Killian Hayes at 14 in its first mock draft since lottery draw tonight. Doubt he drops that far but would be sweet if he did!!

That would be crazy if that happens

I doubt that he drops that low

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'd rather just take the best talent available rather than get cute trying to pick for need. If the best player is a big, than pick him. If the best player is a point guard, you pick him.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2020, 10:44:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Brook averages 12 & 5. Hardly an all-star, but his size, along with Ante, bothers us.

Siakim, at 6-9 is still bigger than two of our centers and Kanter can't guard his athleticism.

I think my overall point is obvious. If you want to pull out a couple of marginal examples, fine. But you see what I see, size bothers our team.
Philly has size and doesn’t seem to bother us.

Same with Lakers.

If you can find a 7’ guy who can guard multiple positions who is available at 14, sign me up. Good luck.

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2020, 10:49:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'd rather just take the best talent available rather than get cute trying to pick for need. If the best player is a big, than pick him. If the best player is a point guard, you pick him.
This.

But I’d rather package picks/players for some solid vet role players who could help Cs win now. There’s too many young guys on this roster.

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2020, 11:07:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Jaylen has done a very good job guarding Siakam this season.

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2020, 02:54:28 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

That would be crazy if that happens

I doubt that he drops that low

It would be awesome. But I guess one of NY, Detroit or SA will take him before. I like a lot Maledon but Hayes has a biggest upside. We could hope he'll be our 3rd contender player option when Kemba deacrising... And another combo, good also for CBS coaching. But better not dreaming too much...

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2020, 03:01:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I haven't looked at draft stuff at all.

All I will say is I hope Danny drafts somebody who was highly productive in college and who projects as an impact player right away.

Tired of raw prospects who might do something a few years down the line.  This team needs productive supporting players to bolster Jay and Jay now, not a few years from now. 

You never know how long we will have Jay and Jay playing together like this.  Have to take advantage of it.

I don't mind trading the 14th pick. The time to win is now, not to develop rookies who might become the next Terry Rozier or Kelly Olynyk.

100%

This pick and another, maybe, for a quality vet big.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2020, 05:14:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

All I will say is I hope Danny drafts somebody who was highly productive in college and who projects as an impact player right away.

Tired of raw prospects who might do something a few years down the line.  This team needs productive supporting players to bolster Jay and Jay now, not a few years from now. 

You never know how long we will have Jay and Jay playing together like this.  Have to take advantage of it.

I don't mind trading the 14th pick. The time to win is now, not to develop rookies who might become the next Terry Rozier or Kelly Olynyk.

100%

Do you reckon Jarrett Allen could be pried away from Brooklyn for cheap? He’s not a vet, but he’s clearly out of favour there, as KD and Kyrie want their buddy DJ to start, and Jacques Vaughn seems to be on board. Allen also showed some really improved passing in the bubble.

We could also try and pry away John Collins, but I’m unsure of his fit and defence.

If we do go through the draft, I’d like Kira Lewis Jr. Guard who can score from all over, shoots the 3, plays passing lanes pretty well and is a solid passer. He’s lightning going to the rim - would make a great replacement for Wanamaker & could learn off Kemba
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2020, 06:49:16 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I hope this year we get lucky enough to trade out. I just don’t see any more young guys helping us out at this point.  I don’t even truly love any of the prospects. The closest I got to liking someone is Obi Toppin and he definitely has some major flaws.

Just hoping we can trade for a good player to a team who wants to load up on young guys. Like Sac, maybe Marvin Bagley? 14th + Langford + another pick/or young player (Rob Will, Tacko, Etc.)

He’s thin, but I’d see if he could bulk up and run the 5 and stay HEALTHY

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Bagley

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:07:35 AM by mrceltics2013 »

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2020, 07:47:29 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Latest ESPN Mock shows the C's sitting at 14 with Killian Hayes, Cole Anthony, Tyrese Maxey, Theo Maledon, and RJ Hampton sitting there still (to name a few.

My preference coming in this year is PG because of Walkers age and health.

I think if Hayes is there, he's the guy.  The wild card to me is Hampton.  Top five recruit, decided to play pro ball in Australia.  Some say he'll be a SG, I don't know, maybe he becomes another Avery Bradley type except bigger.

I might even deal 14 and 26 to move up around 9/10 (based on draft position points) just to get my guard I want.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

100%

Do you reckon Jarrett Allen could be pried away from Brooklyn for cheap? He’s not a vet, but he’s clearly out of favour there, as KD and Kyrie want their buddy DJ to start, and Jacques Vaughn seems to be on board. Allen also showed some really improved passing in the bubble.

We could also try and pry away John Collins, but I’m unsure of his fit and defence.

If we do go through the draft, I’d like Kira Lewis Jr. Guard who can score from all over, shoots the 3, plays passing lanes pretty well and is a solid passer. He’s lightning going to the rim - would make a great replacement for Wanamaker & could learn off Kemba

Please no to Jared Allen.  Low iq.

John Collins I would be on board for.

Dont think atl will trade him though