24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 145621 times)

Re: The Kyrie Irving complaint and free agency thread
« Reply #1005 on: May 26, 2019, 06:32:32 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Tbh it really just seems like the people who do want Kyrie to stay just don’t want the Celtics to end up with nothing because of him. It’s not that they love his fit here or feel like it’s going to workout and that he will become the player we need him to be.

No, we want to keep him because he's had two excellent seasons in Boston, is a top-20 player, and he's coming off a super-efficient, All-NBA 2nd Team year. He should also help acquire and retain Anthony Davis.

Not wanting to lose an asset for nothing is another perfectly valid reason for wanting to stay, though.

I’m just 1 of the few who don’t believe Kyrie will have anything to do with AD staying or not. Just sign Rondo and everyone is happy, I know Davis missed Rondo.

Rondo is one of my all-time favorite players but if you want the Celtics to succeed in the next 3-5 years, Kyrie is a far superior PG and it's not even debatable.

Talent wise? Yes, team fit? No

« Reply #1006 on: May 26, 2019, 06:46:34 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Tbh it really just seems like the people who do want Kyrie to stay just don’t want the Celtics to end up with nothing because of him. It’s not that they love his fit here or feel like it’s going to workout and that he will become the player we need him to be.

No, we want to keep him because he's had two excellent seasons in Boston, is a top-20 player, and he's coming off a super-efficient, All-NBA 2nd Team year. He should also help acquire and retain Anthony Davis.

Not wanting to lose an asset for nothing is another perfectly valid reason for wanting to stay, though.

I’m just 1 of the few who don’t believe Kyrie will have anything to do with AD staying or not. Just sign Rondo and everyone is happy, I know Davis missed Rondo.

Rondo is one of my all-time favorite players but if you want the Celtics to succeed in the next 3-5 years, Kyrie is a far superior PG and it's not even debatable.

That's preposterous. Rondo was traded from Boston and unceremoniously dumped by Dallas in the middle of a playoff series because he was a bad fit in their respective systems. He's subsequently been let go by Sacramento, Chicago, New Orleans and LA after only one season because he wasn't in their plans moving forward.

Why on earth would Rondo be a better fit in Brad's system, when he wasn't the first time? Kyrie just earned second team All-NBA in this same system, something Rondo, even in his prime, never achieved.

« Reply #1007 on: May 26, 2019, 06:48:35 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Ok. The word “fit’ means nothing in the NBA talent conquers all, okay. 

« Reply #1008 on: May 26, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
people tend to forget that Rondo was not always 100% under Brad.

« Reply #1009 on: May 26, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

That's preposterous. Rondo was traded from Boston and unceremoniously dumped by Dallas in the middle of a playoff series because he was a bad fit in their respective systems. He's subsequently been let go by Sacramento, Chicago, New Orleans and LA after only one season because he wasn't in their plans moving forward.

Why on earth would Rondo be a better fit in Brad's system, when he wasn't the first time? Kyrie just earned second team All-NBA in this same system, something Rondo, even in his prime, never achieved.

Rondo wasn't "let go" by the Pelicans or the Kings. He only signed for one year deal with the Kings. The locker room certainly loved him there, as well as the younger guys in the Bulls and Pelicans as well.

He left the Kings because of the disfunction within the team:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16185384/rajon-rondo-tension-filled-sacramento-kings-never-jelled-team

Bulls waived him because the team will go full rebuild and have shipped Butler to the Wolves. He no longer fits their timeline. Let's not forget they also waived Wade.

Pelicans obviously wanted to sign him back but Laker's offer enticed him more.

I love how people forget that Rondo was once a top 10 player in the NBA. Kyrie wasn't even in the top 10 conversation this season. If All-NBA team is an argument, then might as well bring back IT instead. He was also a 2nd-All NBA team, have for more wins than this supposedly more talented team and went to the ECF. And he finished top 5 in MVP votings.

Rondo may not fit the Steven's team as the primary option, but neither is Kyrie as we saw this season. He could, however be secondary scorer next to guys like KD or AD if ever we get one of them. Rondo will not fit as the main option, but he could be a very good role player now that he's matured and knows that he's no longer a star.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:04:42 PM by mr. dee »

« Reply #1010 on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

Rondo wasn't "let go" by the Bulls, Pelicans or the Kings. He only signed for one year deal with the Kings. The locker room certainly loved him there, as well as the younger guys in the Bulls and Pelicans as well.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16185384/rajon-rondo-tension-filled-sacramento-kings-never-jelled-team

Bulls waived him because the team will go full rebuild and have shipped Butler to the Wolves.

I love how people forget that Rondo was once a top 10 player in the NBA. Kyrie wasn't even in the top 10 conversation this season. If All-NBA team is an argument, then might as well bring back IT instead. He was also a 2nd-All NBA team, have for more wins than this supposedly more talented team and went to the ECF. And he finished top 5 in MVP votings.

Rondo may not fit the Steven's team as the primary option, but neither is Kyrie as we saw this season. He could, however be secondary scorer next to guys like KD or AD if ever we get one of them. Rondo will not fit as the main option, but he could be a very good role player now that he's matured and knows that he's no longer a star.

I've already stated in this thread that Rondo is one of my all-time favorite players. That doesn't change the fact that he became a career journeyman the second he was traded to Dallas. Regardless of circumstance, if he was a "good fit" in any of those subsequent stops he would have been quickly re-signed.

And to claim that Kyrie is a bad fit in Steven's system when he's coming off his two best statistical years is to be at war with reality.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:23:40 PM by Never Nervous Pervis »

« Reply #1011 on: May 26, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Rondo wasn't "let go" by the Pelicans or the Kings. He only signed for one year deal with the Kings. The locker room certainly loved him there, as well as the younger guys in the Bulls and Pelicans as well.

Bulls waived him because the team will go full rebuild and have shipped Butler to the Wolves. He no longer fits their timeline. Let's not forget they also waived Wade.

I love Rondo, but he's "matured" into someone who still can't really shoot and rarely plays defence. He would be a fun backup though.

Also, did Kyrie not fit in Stevens' system last season, or did that just not happen? Kyrie clearly has thrived in CBS' system. Efficient high volume scoring, good playmaking and ever improving defence sounds alright to me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1012 on: May 26, 2019, 10:50:13 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I love Rondo, but he's "matured" into someone who still can't really shoot and rarely plays defence. He would be a fun backup though.

Also, did Kyrie not fit in Stevens' system last season, or did that just not happen? Kyrie clearly has thrived in CBS' system. Efficient high volume scoring, good playmaking and ever improving defence sounds alright to me

I just stopped replying because I never once mentioned “Brad Stevens system” but everyone just kept going off that narrative. We have a team full of scorers, so a point guard who is primarily a scorer wouldn’t be the right fit for this team. Rondo thrives when he is surrounded by scorers no one can argue that. Rondos last season in Boston he had no scorers, Mavs a lot of defenders no scorers, Kings he didn’t have much but had enough scorers to be somewhat effective, Pels he was extremely effective, Lakers was a team full of playmakers.

Of course I can go soooo much deeper with this discussion but it’s not the point I’m trying to make. The main point is I don’t feel like Kyrie was the right fit as far as has talent and skills for the roster that we had. Either the entire scheme needs to change or the roster needs to be built around him. Him turning into a facilitator/scorer kind of works but just didn’t work with this roster.

« Reply #1013 on: May 26, 2019, 10:55:16 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I just stopped replying because I never once mentioned “Brad Stevens system” but everyone just kept going off that narrative. We have a team full of scorers, so a point guard who is primarily a scorer wouldn’t be the right fit for this team. Rondo thrives when he is surrounded by scorers no one can argue that. Rondos last season in Boston he had no scorers, Mavs a lot of defenders no scorers, Kings he didn’t have much but had enough scorers to be somewhat effective, Pels he was extremely effective, Lakers was a team full of playmakers.

Of course I can go soooo much deeper with this discussion but it’s not the point I’m trying to make. The main point is I don’t feel like Kyrie was the right fit as far as has talent and skills for the roster that we had. Either the entire scheme needs to change or the roster needs to be built around him. Him turning into a facilitator/scorer kind of works but just didn’t work with this roster.

Without a doubt Kyrie is a better player than Rondo, but he was a better fit for the 2008 team then Kyrie is right now. Chris Paul would be a better fit for a roster full of scorers than Kyrie would be. Kyrie fits best on a team that wants a high powered offense, honestly a swap cp3 for Kyrie would benefit both teams. (If cp3 didn’t cost so much)

« Reply #1014 on: May 27, 2019, 01:00:04 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
there was consensus on Rondo and IT. Those two were not polarizing. There was consensus that Rondo was a headcase, and that IT was an awesome Celtic.
This is some weird revisionism, considering Rondo is the only one player many people here can recall causing similar levels of division in he fanbase

Oh Rondo was far far worse. The Kyrie dissension is mostly one season and feels low-key compared to that. Rondo threads were legion and often became very petty and pedantic as personal feuds ran deep (RIP BBallTim (strictly in the internet sense)).

But the worst divisiveness ever was the 2009-10 season which turned into a blog civil war between the "realists" (pessimists) and "optimists" (optimists) camps. The optimists turned out to be right but the realists had enough cause to amplify a brutal, unpleasant regular season where we still won more games from this year haha.

« Reply #1015 on: May 27, 2019, 04:26:16 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Kyrie thrived last year because the offense doesn't primary runs through him. It was a great distribution of touches and passes. Everyone was making hockey-assist. He can be a primary scorer but not necessarily the focal point of offense. 2009-2013, we saw Pierce as the leading scorer for the team but the offense ran through Rondo. Kyrie clearly shown he can be effective when he doesn't force his way.

I suggest he watch IT films and study how Brad utilize him. They clearly have different skillset but he should learn how IT use his body as a decoy when the ball is not on his hands.

"Efficient" is not something you can say about Kyrie this post season. Dude was shooting a brutal 38% on the field and 31% from 3. And his defense was nowhere to be seen in the Bucks series which is my biggest gripe. Otherwise, Connaughton and George Hill wouldn't have a field day with him.

And Rondo has been shooting around 36% on 3 the past 3 years. He may not be better than Kyrie, but he's a much better option than that cancer Rozier at this point. And he's proven to always turn a switch on in the playoffs. I say get him, especially if Danny plans to get AD.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 04:38:56 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #1016 on: May 27, 2019, 05:09:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kyrie thrived last year because the offense doesn't primary runs through him. It was a great distribution of touches and passes. Everyone was making hockey-assist. He can be a primary scorer but not necessarily the focal point of offense. 2009-2013, we saw Pierce as the leading scorer for the team but the offense ran through Rondo. Kyrie clearly shown he can be effective when he doesn't force his way.

I suggest he watch IT films and study how Brad utilize him. They clearly have different skillset but he should learn how IT use his body as a decoy when the ball is not on his hands.

"Efficient" is not something you can say about Kyrie this post season. Dude was shooting a brutal 38% on the field and 31% from 3. And his defense was nowhere to be seen in the Bucks series which is my biggest gripe. Otherwise, Connaughton and George Hill wouldn't have a field day with him.

And Rondo has been shooting around 36% on 3 the past 3 years. He may not be better than Kyrie, but he's a much better option than that cancer Rozier at this point. And he's proven to always turn a switch on in the playoffs. I say get him, especially if Danny plans to get AD.
That's just wrong. He had a higher usage percentage last season and he passed it less. We also have nobody who can neither score nor pass on his level at the moment, so I have no idea what you're proposing.

Yeah, he had a stinker of a series. So did almost every single player on our roster. That doesn't mean you can ignore his 3rd season in a row of being a borderline 50/40/90 player while being in the top 50 for assist:turnover ratio.

Yeah, Rondo has made 0.8 threes per game over the last 3 seasons at about a league average %. He also shoots worse than 60% from the FT line.

I just don't get what your point is. Rondo would be a backup guard that I'd be interested in, but there are definitely legitimate reasons why people wouldn't
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1017 on: May 27, 2019, 06:03:16 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

That's just wrong. He had a higher usage percentage last season and he passed it less. We also have nobody who can neither score nor pass on his level at the moment, so I have no idea what you're proposing.

Yeah, he had a stinker of a series. So did almost every single player on our roster. That doesn't mean you can ignore his 3rd season in a row of being a borderline 50/40/90 player while being in the top 50 for assist:turnover ratio.

Yeah, Rondo has made 0.8 threes per game over the last 3 seasons at about a league average %. He also shoots worse than 60% from the FT line.

I just don't get what your point is. Rondo would be a backup guard that I'd be interested in, but there are definitely legitimate reasons why people wouldn't

Horford can pass, Hayward can pass, Smart can pass. My point is he is more effective as an off guard than running the offense. Brad definitely had gameplans as Rozier pointed out, but Kyrie went his own way with the iso ball.

They are so effective running the Al-Kyrie pick n roll but they've opt for more isolation basketball. It didn't helped that both Tatum and Rozier also chucking dumb shots, killing the pace and rhythm even more.

This is more on Brad.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 06:15:41 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #1018 on: May 27, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
alot of worry here over somebody who most likey will play where KD signs

« Reply #1019 on: May 27, 2019, 09:13:52 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
If Rondo was wise, he wouldn't come anywhere near back here

And I can't wait until this summer is over, and I hope Kyrie does go with his boy somewhere and make the decision for everyone.

Another thing is Kyrie will be no "leader" on this team next year as he self-destructed and no one will listen to that guy or have patience for his moods.

Danny HAS to get rid of him if he has any sense of being a GM.

And i'm gonna be honest...the guy just has "quitter" written all over him.

Matter fact I hope he doesn't...then we can finally get another GM after this team turns into the Thunder.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:42:14 AM by Triplenickle »