Author Topic: Baynes starting, Hayward off the bench  (Read 8333 times)

Re: Baynes starting, Hayward off the bench
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 10:28:03 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
A bigger issue then whether he starts or not might be that he probably shouldn't play over thirty minutes if he is clearly not playing well.

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 12:53:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I floated this in I believe the preseason, with a few others, and got ragged on.

How... the turntables.

I did as well.

But we shot 28% from three.

I also suggested that they end each practice with a three point shooting contest.
Same here, and the Top Greens absolutely crucified us.

True.

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 01:01:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
A bigger issue then whether he starts or not might be that he probably shouldn't play over thirty minutes if he is clearly not playing well.

He's inconsistent. There are times when he plays well, like vs Toronto, Detroit and Milwaukee, then he has games where he looks lost and hesitant. I think missing shots is really getting to him and affecting his confidence, which is then affecting his ability to be aggressive (which is hard enough for him to re-learn given what happened to him last year).

I think part of the extended time that Brad is giving him is to try and give him some confidence and game time so he can get back into game shape. But yes at some point you have to be pragmatic and do what is best for the team before what's good for any one player.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 02:53:58 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Yes, what a great move.

Everyone looked so energetic and happy. Not.

Only this time the defense was also bad.

The players obviously have their heads up their asses. And the decision to do this tonight was very questionable (as Baynes only played 7 minutes).

Kyrie has been great. Morris has been good. Everyone else has been performing below expectations, and now that includes Brad.

Yikes. This team needs to wake up. We’ve already played over 20% of the season, so the sample size is growing larger and larger.

While I do believe this team can “turn it on” against quality teams... do they really want to end up with the 3-4 seed and have to play all but the first round without HCA?

Looks like that playoff run last season was fools gold.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 05:42:59 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Yes, what a great move.

The players obviously have their heads up their asses. And the decision to do this tonight was very questionable (as Baynes only played 7 minutes).

Kyrie has been great. Morris has been good. Everyone else has been performing below expectations, and now that includes Brad.

Yikes. This team needs to wake up. We’ve already played over 20% of the season, so the sample size is growing larger and larger.

While I do believe this team can “turn it on” against quality teams... do they really want to end up with the 3-4 seed and have to play all but the first round without HCA?

Defense was bad, but the offense was good. And you said yourself that Baynes only played 7 minutes so I hardly think he can be blamed for our bad D. I’ve got no problem with trying new things at this point, and we’ve seen the Kyrie-JB-JT-Al-Baynes 5 be successful over last year already.  It might not work out, but 1 game where Kemba drops 40 isn’t enough to evaluate.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 06:43:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Our guys seem to have trouble adjusting to some of the new defensive rules and also I will point out that they get in foul trouble more often as a result.   Though, it is getting better in that regard.

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I don't have stats to back me up, but to me it look like Theis is playing better than Baynes (in his limited minutes), specially on offense, where he looks like  better finisher close to the rim.   
I would prefer if he starts over Byanes (i know its not going to happen...)

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yes, what a great move.

Defense was bad, but the offense was good. And you said yourself that Baynes only played 7 minutes so I hardly think he can be blamed for our bad D. I’ve got no problem with trying new things at this point, and we’ve seen the Kyrie-JB-JT-Al-Baynes 5 be successful over last year already.  It might not work out, but 1 game where Kemba drops 40 isn’t enough to evaluate.

He was pulled early because he was getting killed on switches. He also is not finishing well on pick and roles.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I too was a preseason Hayward off the Bench proponent but the game last night is not exactly vindicating anything.  I actually now think that Brown should be playing off the bench but it is still not clear who that 5th starter should be.  Baynes is just not that good.  Neither is Theis, Ojeleye, Yabusele, or Williams.  Morris could start but he is not really a big and seems to be well suited to come off the bench.

I don't know the answer.  I think the team will collectively shoot better and that will make a lot of things look better but we need another starting caliber big.  Then keep two bigs on the floor as much as possible (or at least a big and Morris) and let Hayward, Brown, and Tatum share the wing minutes, maybe taking turns as to who starts.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I've always believed Brown is better off the bench. It just allows him to come in and play freely.

Stevens said he may not be done and Brown sat out the 4th last night.

Stevens calm demeanor also may be playing a part in all of this malaise. Let's pick up the intensity Brad. LOL

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It was just the Hawks, but I really liked last night's starting unit.

Horford is our playoff guru, let's keep him rested and with healthy knees for the postseason with an occasional night off and an occasional light night minutes wise...by using last night's starting lineup now and then. 

-Keep Baynes in the starting lineup, whether or not he's going to play big minutes on a particular night. 
-Hayward playing well is an incredibly dangerous weapon off the bench. 
-Irving and Brown have good chemistry. 
-Tatum at SF is just right. 
-Smart has good chemistry with Theis and so did Hayward last night (small sample).

Starting Lineup:

Baynes
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Irving

Bench Mob: 

Theis
Morris
Hayward
Rozier
Smart

R. Williams, Semi O. as needed.

Horford next year or the one after could be the best bench big in the league.  Overall, I'm sure this year when healthy enough to play he'll want to start, but I'd watch his regular season minutes pretty carefully.  He's an MVP candidate of any given playoff series.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It was just the Hawks, but I really liked last night's starting unit.

Horford is our playoff guru, let's keep him rested and with healthy knees for the postseason with an occasional night off and an occasional light night minutes wise...by using last night's starting lineup now and then. 

-Keep Baynes in the starting lineup, whether or not he's going to play big minutes on a particular night. 
-Hayward playing well is an incredibly dangerous weapon off the bench. 
-Irving and Brown have good chemistry. 
-Tatum at SF is just right. 
-Smart has good chemistry with Theis and so did Hayward last night (small sample).

Starting Lineup:

Baynes
Horford
Tatum
Brown
Irving

Bench Mob: 

Theis
Morris
Hayward
Rozier
Smart

R. Williams, Semi O. as needed.

Horford next year or the one after could be the best bench big in the league.  Overall, I'm sure this year when healthy enough to play he'll want to start, but I'd watch his regular season minutes pretty carefully.  He's an MVP candidate of any given playoff series.

That bench should NEVER lose a lead. Amazing talent from 6 to 10 — could beat Atlanta on their own.   
Yes, GH, DT and MS may have something there

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 10:49:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This thread misses a point that Brad is making:  It's not who starts, it's how many minutes plus finding the right lineup combinations.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2018, 11:05:11 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This thread misses a point that Brad is making:  It's not who starts, it's how many minutes plus finding the right lineup combinations.

But might as well start the game with one of those "right lineup" combos..

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

But might as well start the game with one of those "right lineup" combos..
Not necessarily.  I think match-ups are more important and I predict we'll see changes from night to night.