Author Topic: It's midnight  (Read 21950 times)

Re: It's midnight
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
All this money and no top agents even consider us, so much for "we have never had the money to get a top free agent" theory.   I would love to be wrong on it, and it is early, but signs point to us not being a top destination for players.   I think this makes the likelihood of a future trade more likely for us involving our guard surplus.

It's hard to be a top destination for free agents if you don't have anybody on your team who would be a major free agent himself if he were on the market.

That's just how it works.  Players want to join teams where they will have help.  Right or wrong, I think players look at the Celts and see a good coach and a bunch of role players.  Not an ideal situation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2015, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
All this money and no top agents even consider us, so much for "we have never had the money to get a top free agent" theory.   I would love to be wrong on it, and it is early, but signs point to us not being a top destination for players.   I think this makes the likelihood of a future trade more likely for us involving our guard surplus.

It's hard to be a top destination for free agents if you don't have anybody on your team who would be a major free agent himself if he were on the market.

That's just how it works.  Players want to join teams where they will have help.  Right or wrong, I think players look at the Celts and see a good coach and a bunch of role players.  Not an ideal situation.

Realistically only LA, NY, and perhaps Brooklyn have the ability to attract big-name free agents without pre-existing all-star talent. Nobody wants to go anywhere they have to be "the man" anymore. It's just the way things are.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

A trade and giving up a pick to get a player to me is what we have to do if we strike out in free agency. A three way trade is all I see. The only teams looking to trade our INDYBKN PHX, Den and Sac. Roy Hibbert Eric Bledose,  Rudy Gay, Ty Lawson, and Joe Johnson can all be had.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Realistically only LA, NY, and perhaps Brooklyn have the ability to attract big-name free agents without pre-existing all-star talent. Nobody wants to go anywhere they have to be "the man" anymore. It's just the way things are.
one as only to see LAs recent level of success in getting top free agents to see the power of this hypothesis.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva