Author Topic: I知 a Smart hater  (Read 24569 times)

Re: I知 a Smart hater
« Reply #150 on: January 02, 2018, 02:48:34 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

1) Scratch tickets are a tax on the poor [people who failed Math].
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I get why a lot of people like Smart. He doesn't really seem to hurt you too bad during the game and then comes up huge in absolute crunch time way more than his fair share.

To me he's more like the lottery scratch tickets.  You spend 10 bucks during the week on scratch tickets that come up blank.  Then at the end of the week you really really need 8 bucks and you hit it. So you do it again. And this consistently works for you and you get the idea you really need these scratch tickets in your life because they keep bailing you out.

Bad analogy, because over the long run scratchies are very likely to be a huge loss.  I think Smart certainly isn't that.

« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
All that Marcus Smart needs to improve significantly overnight is a Head Coach with enough balls to tell him to stop shooting so much !!! It's not that complicated.

LoL. I don't have a problem with him taking good shots, he seems to do "ok" with those but WAY to many bad shots. The other problem is he can't figure out when he's 1 for 9 to stop shooting, shooters shoot, bad shooters don't!

I know people love his defense but I see him make a LOT of bad fouls. Aggressive defense is great, hacking people or running into jump shooters is not.

Basically I've come to this conclusion. People that love Smart like college basketball games that are 55-58. I watch the pros cause I want to see high level talent see people do things I can't. Watching Smart is like watching a bad high school game!

I feel very confident that Smart does a dozen things every night that you could not do in an NBA game.

Well I'm 45 5'9" 160 lbs. so he's got a lot of advantages over me to say the least. At the Y I was a walking triple double though.  ;D

I'm a better shooter and passer than him and I'm willing to bet I have faster hands than him and I'm smarter than he is! But yes he would kill me on the court.

But I'll bet my life I'm a better skier than he is hahaha.

lol. The image of Marcus Smart skiing is now in my head and it is hilarious. Thanks.

Something tells me that Marcus would be the fastest skier on the Celtics. Not b/c he's technically a good skier- it would prob be real messy, but he seems like he'd rather sacrifice his body over the others.

« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2018, 10:05:53 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I get why a lot of people like Smart. He doesn't really seem to hurt you too bad during the game and then comes up huge in absolute crunch time way more than his fair share.

To me he's more like the lottery scratch tickets.  You spend 10 bucks during the week on scratch tickets that come up blank.  Then at the end of the week you really really need 8 bucks and you hit it. So you do it again. And this consistently works for you and you get the idea you really need these scratch tickets in your life because they keep bailing you out.

1) Scratch tickets are a tax on the poor
2) You're saying that Marcus Smart detracts value, overall? I think most would argue with this take.

1. I agree
2. Maybe the better way to put it is that I feel going forward in terms of return on investment there are probably better investments

Way to go out on a limb. I'm also confident that there will be better signings than Smart.

The question is whether Smart delivers enough value in all elements of the game to justify a re-signing. The FA market and Celtic's cap situation will dictate this.

The C's should be a top 3 player in signing Marcus. I don't think Danny will give him a number that prevents the team from bigger moves.

« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think a lot of Celtic fans are going to be very disappointed when for the third year in a row the Celtics let a former 1st round pick walk after their rookie contract expires. The LA pick will convey, consider me an optimist. Once it does that makes another $7 million +or - a year rookie contract to pay. With that happening, Smart will have to go as Rozier can do about 85% that Smart can do defensively and is a better scorer/shooter than Smart is.

My dream scenario is ending up with Doncic. Smart goes. They use the MLE on a quality big like Favors, Monroe, Baynes or Len

KI/Rozier/Larkin
Brown/Doncic/Nader
Hayward/Morris/Ojeleye
Tatum/Yabusele
Horford/Monroe/Theis

And add onto that a DPE resign for 120% of their DPE contract and the Boston 2018 1st rounder and that's a title contender

« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Ok some on here were asking me to back up my claims about Smart so last night I watched the game and took notes. I left out plays that I thought were ok and stuck to good and bad plays trying to be non-biased. Good shot doesn't mean he hit it and bad missed, I used these terms to describe what I think for his skill set, shot clock, plays being run IMO, etc. are good or bad. So here we go:

1st Quarter
3:29 good shot
2:49 good shot
2:22 good shot
1:19 bad shot

2nd Quarter
4:47 good shot
3:36 bad shot
3:37 good play
0:10 great steal followed by great pass to Rozier for a dunk

3rd Quarter
3:06 dumb foul
2:48 bad shot
2:33 bad call against him, don't think he traveled on that play
2:13 bad defense
1:29 bad shot
0:35 terrible play/bad shot

4th Quarter
8:31 good shot
7:30 bad turnover
7:22 bad foul

« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2018, 04:42:36 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Ok some on here were asking me to back up my claims about Smart so last night I watched the game and took notes. I left out plays that I thought were ok and stuck to good and bad plays trying to be non-biased. Good shot doesn't mean he hit it and bad missed, I used these terms to describe what I think for his skill set, shot clock, plays being run IMO, etc. are good or bad. So here we go:

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter

Thanks for doing that. Seems like, and last night felt like, a decent average game for Marcus.

As someone who was close to being a Smart hater last year and still believes a better shot selection leads to a better shooting percentage for Marcus and I also believe many people here, who want to love Marcus, overlook too much--nevertheless for me Marcus's decision making/play this year is much improved.  There may be light at the end of Marcus's tunnel.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think a lot of Celtic fans are going to be very disappointed when for the third year in a row the Celtics let a former 1st round pick walk after their rookie contract expires. The LA pick will convey, consider me an optimist. Once it does that makes another $7 million +or - a year rookie contract to pay. With that happening, Smart will have to go as Rozier can do about 85% that Smart can do defensively and is a better scorer/shooter than Smart is.

My dream scenario is ending up with Doncic. Smart goes. They use the MLE on a quality big like Favors, Monroe, Baynes or Len

KI/Rozier/Larkin
Brown/Doncic/Nader
Hayward/Morris/Ojeleye
Tatum/Yabusele
Horford/Monroe/Theis

And add onto that a DPE resign for 120% of their DPE contract and the Boston 2018 1st rounder and that's a title contender

I think we get one more year of Smart at his qualifying offer, but wont have a DPE resign.  Boston will have enough wiggle room to chase away teams from making him an offer in restricted fee agency.

Mind you, I love Smart and hope he signs a five-year deal this summer to stay in Boston for a long time.  But that痴 likely not happening.

« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2018, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

1st Quarter

2nd Quarter

3rd Quarter

4th Quarter
Now what you need to do is go back and re-watch all the plays you labeled as bad and view them with context (you can do so in the play by play on NBA.com).  Some of the shots you label as bad were plays designed to get the C's any available shot with the shot clock winding down.  The "terrible play/bad shot" with :35 seconds in the 3rd wasn't even Smart it was Rozier.  The "bad turnover" in the 4th was Smart getting sniped from behind by Wade, it can happen to anyone.

« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I've never been a Smart fan either. More polarizing than Rondo but thankfully without an oversized ego. Am a Rozier fan but have been skeptical of him ever being more than a decent bench player. However, I'm excited that they're playing better. I won't be starting any more trade idea threads involving either of them.  :)

« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Smart is a role player that can play very good D. If a team wants to overpay him, we should let them. Otherwise, I'd offer him 5 yrs/$75m and tell his agent to go out and find the best offer. I think I say no past $18m/year.

« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
All that Marcus Smart needs to improve significantly overnight is a Head Coach with enough balls to tell him to stop shooting so much !!! It's not that complicated.

LoL. I don't have a problem with him taking good shots, he seems to do "ok" with those but WAY to many bad shots. The other problem is he can't figure out when he's 1 for 9 to stop shooting, shooters shoot, bad shooters don't!

I know people love his defense but I see him make a LOT of bad fouls. Aggressive defense is great, hacking people or running into jump shooters is not.

Basically I've come to this conclusion. People that love Smart like college basketball games that are 55-58. I watch the pros cause I want to see high level talent see people do things I can't. Watching Smart is like watching a bad high school game!

I feel very confident that Smart does a dozen things every night that you could not do in an NBA game.

Well I'm 45 5'9" 160 lbs. so he's got a lot of advantages over me to say the least. At the Y I was a walking triple double though.  ;D

I'm a better shooter and passer than him and I'm willing to bet I have faster hands than him and I'm smarter than he is! But yes he would kill me on the court.

Im not sure if this is a joke or not, but you aren't better than Smart at anything basketball related  other than maybe free throws (and let's see you make those with thousands of people watching you).

I'll give an anecdote. Growing up in Orlando, I had the (luxury?) one day of playing a pickup game at the YMCA against then high schooler Amare Stoudamire. I didn't really know who he was at the time other than some huge guy. I'm a pretty good player (especially at defense) because I'm 6'2", long and quick. At some point in the game, I ended up guarding him in the post. He did a spin move and had already dunked and started walking down the court before I even knew what had happened. I also saw the 7 footer cross someone up and make him fall on his face among other things. Later someone told me that he was going to be drafted next year to the NBA and we had a good laugh. I should have gotten his autograph.

Point of the story is you have no idea how quick, strong and skilled even the worst NBA player is. You also have no idea what it feels like to shoot a 3 pointer or make a pass with Kahwi Leonard in your face. Marcus Smart is a top 100 player in the world. You don't get to that point and have deficiencies compared to an average person.

« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2018, 08:51:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart is a role player that can play very good D. If a team wants to overpay him, we should let them. Otherwise, I'd offer him 5 yrs/$75m and tell his agent to go out and find the best offer. I think I say no past $18m/year.
You are generous. I am not sure Smart is going to get anything above the MLE on next year's market.

Honestly, if the LA pick conveys, I think yougot to let Smart walk unless he picks up his qualifying offer.

« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2018, 10:00:13 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Im not sure if this is a joke or not, but you aren't better than Smart at anything basketball related  other than maybe free throws (and let's see you make those with thousands of people watching you).

I'll give an anecdote. Growing up in Orlando, I had the (luxury?) one day of playing a pickup game at the YMCA against then high schooler Amare Stoudamire. I didn't really know who he was at the time other than some huge guy. I'm a pretty good player (especially at defense) because I'm 6'2", long and quick. At some point in the game, I ended up guarding him in the post. He did a spin move and had already dunked and started walking down the court before I even knew what had happened. I also saw the 7 footer cross someone up and make him fall on his face among other things. Later someone told me that he was going to be drafted next year to the NBA and we had a good laugh. I should have gotten his autograph.

Point of the story is you have no idea how quick, strong and skilled even the worst NBA player is. You also have no idea what it feels like to shoot a 3 pointer or make a pass with Kahwi Leonard in your face. Marcus Smart is a top 100 player in the world. You don't get to that point and have deficiencies compared to an average person.

TP, this is exactly right. I went to college at a Big East school, one whose basketball program was middle of the road, and we would sometimes see the team scrimmaging. Even the walk-ons and bench warmers were so good and fast it was hard to believe. And these are guys who NEVER played on a middle of the road team, we're not even talking about the rotation players. They would have totally dominated any game at the Y or whatever gym people play at without breaking a sweat. For most of us, the worst player in the NBA is infinitely better than the best players we ever played with or against, obviously excepting those few who may have played with/against future pros.

« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
You are generous. I am not sure Smart is going to get anything above the MLE on next year's market.

Honestly, if the LA pick conveys, I think yougot to let Smart walk unless he picks up his qualifying offer.

If he only gets MLE level money, the Celts should certainly keep him, that's a bargain. I think he's got more respect around the league than you are giving him credit for. I'm not going to guess what he'll get, the market can be hard to predict, but I think it will be more than the MLE.