Author Topic: Season over- Hayward breaks leg in 1st quarter (ankle fracture dislocation?)  (Read 26158 times)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The guy cna get 20 points in his sleep.
The guy averaged 20 ppg once in his career. CB is a funny place.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That doesn't take away from the fact that over the last 3 seasons (ignoring the 5 minutes he played this year) he's averaged 20/5/4 on 45/37/82 shooting %'s. For a guy who has never averaged 16 FGA's per game that's pretty good.

It's also a function of the incredibly slow offense Snyder ran last year in Utah. Per100 possessions Hayward was a beast.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That doesn't take away from the fact that over the last 3 seasons (ignoring the 5 minutes he played this year) he's averaged 20/5/4 on 45/37/82 shooting %'s. For a guy who has never averaged 16 FGA's per game that's pretty good.

It's also a function of the incredibly slow offense Snyder ran last year in Utah. Per100 possessions Hayward was a beast.
I agree with everything you said, just disagree with the idea that we lost some sort of walking scoring machine. Irving and Thomas are guys that can "give you 20 in their sleep", Hayward is probably not so much. But he is a very good player that will score a lot of points for us.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I was reading through many of these posts. Understandably, many are emotional.

After a day of thinking, do many of the posters that abide by the theory that this season is over still believe this?

If so, why? What has changed since Gordon Hayward is no longer available?

I'm an optimist and wear green goggles, but even I thought that this team would have their hands full with CLE and would lose to GSW in the finals.

After a day of reflection, I don't think the Celtics destiny this year will be all that different.

Yes, I'm bummed that I won't be able to watch Gordo play this year, but I'm also intrigued that I'll be able to see more Tatum and Brown.

Anyone think that either the Celtics would have beat the Warriors w/ Hayward, or now they won't even make the playoffs without him?

Elite 3pt shooting. 

Losing him means defenses colapsing on all Kyrie's action.  It's gonna be rough

My point is not to beat up on Hayward here.

However, he shot .398 from 3 last year, which is the exact same % as Jae Crowder. Do you consider Jae to be an elite 3 point shooter?

I think Hayward is a good overall bball player. He will be missed.

I just don't think that he pushed the Celtics over the goal line into a new category of winning. In his absence, I don't think that the Celtics will be dramatically different.
Then you must have not watched GH last year. He does everything this team gonna miss him so much. Kyrie gonna be trapped/doubled everytime now. Offense is going to be ugly and the defense we all knew was going to be a work in progress.

The Celtics beat a pretty good team tonight. Both the offense and defense have looked solid at times. I think there's plenty to play for this year. Might there be consensus that this season is, in fact, not over?
Of course we're going to look good and win some games.  But to think we're not going to miss an all star that is capable of taking over games is foolish.  The guy cna get 20 points in his sleep.  Guys Jaylen and Tatum have a lot of potential but they're going to be up and down and aren't quite ready to be go to guys and consistently take pressure off Kyrie.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Celtics won't miss Hayward. That is not the point.

My point is that I don't think the Celtics destiny will be impacted that much this year. Though the Cavs look like a mess, I believe they will put together a roster that is better by the playoffs. I think that they were a tough team to beat, even with Gordo.

I'm not yet buying into other teams in the East being significantly better than the Celtics. Milwaukee and Washington are very beatable, and I think Trouble 07 matches up well with Toronto. Besides Cle, Milwaukee, Tor, and Wash, who else could/would beat the Celtics in the playoffs?

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

After a day of thinking, do many of the posters that abide by the theory that this season is over still believe this?

I'm an optimist and wear green goggles, but even I thought that this team would have their hands full with CLE and would lose to GSW in the finals.

After a day of reflection, I don't think the Celtics destiny this year will be all that different.

Yes, I'm bummed that I won't be able to watch Gordo play this year, but I'm also intrigued that I'll be able to see more Tatum and Brown.

Anyone think that either the Celtics would have beat the Warriors w/ Hayward, or now they won't even make the playoffs without him?

Elite 3pt shooting. 

However, he shot .398 from 3 last year, which is the exact same % as Jae Crowder. Do you consider Jae to be an elite 3 point shooter?

I just don't think that he pushed the Celtics over the goal line into a new category of winning. In his absence, I don't think that the Celtics will be dramatically different.
Then you must have not watched GH last year. He does everything this team gonna miss him so much. Kyrie gonna be trapped/doubled everytime now. Offense is going to be ugly and the defense we all knew was going to be a work in progress.

The Celtics beat a pretty good team tonight. Both the offense and defense have looked solid at times. I think there's plenty to play for this year. Might there be consensus that this season is, in fact, not over?
Of course we're going to look good and win some games.  But to think we're not going to miss an all star that is capable of taking over games is foolish.  The guy cna get 20 points in his sleep.  Guys Jaylen and Tatum have a lot of potential but they're going to be up and down and aren't quite ready to be go to guys and consistently take pressure off Kyrie.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Celtics won't miss Hayward. That is not the point.

My point is that I don't think the Celtics destiny will be impacted that much this year. Though the Cavs look like a mess, I believe they will put together a roster that is better by the playoffs. I think that they were a tough team to beat, even with Gordo.

I'm not yet buying into other teams in the East being significantly better than the Celtics. Milwaukee and Washington are very beatable, and I think Trouble 07 matches up well with Toronto. Besides Cle, Milwaukee, Tor, and Wash, who else could/would beat the Celtics in the playoffs?

Great points.  Brad is the ultimate equalizer against the rest of the East.  Our raw talent is finally on par with Washington, Toronto, and Milwaukee.  I'm not sure how far we will go but I believe that Brad can mitigate our lack of experience once the playoffs arrive.   

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Elite 3pt shooting. 

We may well have lost to the Cavs this year with Hayward.  But his injury has significantly reduced whatever chancer we had.  I guess you didn’t need to watch the season play out since you already knew the outcome but I was looking forward to watching the team in the finals.  At least that’s the attitude I was taking and something much more enjoyable than watching the kids grow.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Elite 3pt shooting. 

We may well have lost to the Cavs this year with Hayward.  But his injury has significantly reduced whatever chancer we had.  I guess you didn’t need to watch the season play out since you already knew the outcome but I was looking forward to watching the team in the finals.  At least that’s the attitude I was taking and something much more enjoyable than watching the kids grow.

Just curious, how would you feel if this team made it to the Conference finals and pushed Cleveland to 6 or 7 games in a tightly contested series?  I know we all want to see a Finals run but I would have zero complaints if this ended up happening.  To me this result would represent a lot more than simply watching the kids grow.  A great conference finals appearance would only solidify my belief that this team has a chance to beat Golden State at some point in the future.  Obviously there are no guarantees but the core of Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Horford has a chance to be very special.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I hate saying this as I really like Hayward, but I had preferred Griffin over Hayward (before losing Crowder in the Irving trade). Griffin was thought of the more injury risk(go figure), but a higher upside.  He is off to a great start this year.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Elite 3pt shooting. 

Just curious, how would you feel if this team made it to the Conference finals and pushed Cleveland to 6 or 7 games in a tightly contested series?  I know we all want to see a Finals run but I would have zero complaints if this ended up happening.  To me this result would represent a lot more than simply watching the kids grow.  A great conference finals appearance would only solidify my belief that this team has a chance to beat Golden State at some point in the future.  Obviously there are no guarantees but the core of Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Horford has a chance to be very special.
Assuming no Hayward, I’d probably be at least somewhat upset because with Hayward we might well have beat them. I mean, it’d be exciting at the same time but you can’t ignore that we lost a significant opportunity here. 

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Elite 3pt shooting. 

So you basically put them on the fast express to the finals when they got Hayward and Irving? I did not anticipate a finals appearance. They got crushed by CLE in the ECF. Those fans that put them on par with CLE are, in my estimation, delusional.

I'm assuming that CLE improves between now and the playoffs. If this really is Lebron's last ride in CLE, they're going to make it a special trip.

The Celtics are not a clear #2 in the East after the Gordo injury, but they are still in the mix.

The Celtics can still beat Lebron's Cavs in the ECF, but they're not favored. They also weren't favored before the Hayward injury. We have to assume that there would be growing pains (even if not literally) with a nearly complete turnover.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Elite 3pt shooting. 

So you basically put them on the fast express to the finals when they got Hayward and Irving? I did not anticipate a finals appearance. They got crushed by CLE in the ECF. Those fans that put them on par with CLE are, in my estimation, delusional.

I'm assuming that CLE improves between now and the playoffs. If this really is Lebron's last ride in CLE, they're going to make it a special trip.

The Celtics are not a clear #2 in the East after the Gordo injury, but they are still in the mix.

The Celtics can still beat Lebron's Cavs in the ECF, but they're not favored. They also weren't favored before the Hayward injury. We have to assume that there would be growing pains (even if not literally) with a nearly complete turnover.
I gave them a chance, sure.  Did I think they were the favorite?  Not really but they had a chance.  Now, not so much.  So if the hayward injury doesn't move the needle for you, then you're probably in the minority.  The reality is it put a large dent in whatever chances we had.  You choose to believe the chances were virtually zero.  I don't agree.

And once we get close, I'm not a fan of throwing away chances.  Sure, we might get there in the future but what's wrong with the future being now?

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Elite 3pt shooting. 

You're underestimating how much Hayward's shooting, creation, and passing would dramatically improve this offense.  This team has won some games but hasn't been good on offense.  In addition to another long defender.

In the Playoffs especially, this Celtics team without his shooting and playmaking will struggle.  Teams can key in more on one or two guys.  That's where he is special.  The guy who gets the ball on the weak side after the defense keys in on the Horford/Iriving pick and roll and he can shoot or attack a rotating defense.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Elite 3pt shooting. 

You're underestimating how much Hayward's shooting, creation, and passing would dramatically improve this offense.  This team has won some games but hasn't been good on offense.  In addition to another long defender.

In the Playoffs especially, this Celtics team without his shooting and playmaking will struggle.  Teams can key in more on one or two guys.  That's where he is special.  The guy who gets the ball on the weak side after the defense keys in on the Horford/Iriving pick and roll and he can shoot or attack a rotating defense.

I agree. Losing Hayward stinks. When looking for a silver lining, the Brown/Tatum minutes will have an impact on future winning. If they get valuable playoff experience this year, they will be much better prepared to head into the 18/19 season. That being said, this season is not over.

Re: Season over- Hayward breaks leg in 1st quarter (ankle fracture dislocation?)
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Found some video of someone telling the Celtics their season is over.

https://youtu.be/hGC6C4vuOao?t=2s
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008