Other Discussions > Off Topic

Nike and Kaepernick

(1/27) > >>

JSD:
The commercial itself was good, it’s just the messenger I have a problem with. Kap pushes a false narrative that he cannot even properly articulate, and he causes more harm than good by creating a disconnect between police and the community they’re trying their hardest to keep safe. This climate has also caused some officers to hesitate, and it’s cost them their life. Take what happened to Weymouth Officer Michael Chesna, just a few months ago, as an example. That said, Kap has every right to speak out on a subject despite his ignorance, while the NFL, a private company, has every right to disapprove and disassociate themselves from him and that message. That’s freedom. Also, Kap was not doing this when he was on top, he began this action after he was benched. So I find his “sacrifice” a little disingenuous.

As far as how I feel about Nike’s decision, I personally will not tear off my patches or burn my sneakers, but I would be lying if I said this will not influence my future sneaker purchasing decisions. Hell, I have LeBron kicks I’ll never wear or buy again because he went the the Lakers. I’m curious if it affects Nike’s business going forward. Alienating, say, half of half the population, and that’s modest, will result in lower revenues and stock prices.  The marketing team took a chance with this and could pay dearly. My instincts tell me it was bad move. Just look at the ratings crash the NFL suffered after the kneeling, obviously there were other variables but the “disrespect” was definitely a factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mreQsQrDF-A

miraclejohan:

--- Quote from: JSD on September 06, 2018, 10:16:49 PM ---Heck, maybe their business goes up? My instincts tell me it was bad move. Just look at the ratings crash the NFL suffered after the kneeling, obviously there were other variables but the “disrespect” was definitely a factor.

--- End quote ---

I'm staying away from too much personal back and forth on purpose in order to drive conversation, but do you think the dip in ratings had to do with the fact that the "protests" were happening or the fact that the NFL was trying to strongarm the protestors into silence/non-action? I tend to the latter.

Also, millenials be whatever they may be, but here's a direct consequence of Nike's actions: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nike-apos-controversial-kaepernick-ad-200800254.html

I tend to think that these 2 points put "momentum/support" on Nike's side.  It's also telling that the NFL cam out with a psuedo-stance that supports Kap's choice/position here.  They know they can't even compete with Nike.  IMHO, anyway.

Roy H.:

If this is what Nike thinks the consumer wants, more power to them.

Roy H.:

--- Quote ---Nike just lost about $3.75 billion in market cap after announcing free agent NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick as the new face of its “Just Do It” ad campaign. It’s the 30th anniversary of the iconic TV and print spots.
--- End quote ---

JSD:

--- Quote from: miraclejohan on September 06, 2018, 10:24:36 PM ---
--- Quote from: JSD on September 06, 2018, 10:16:49 PM ---Heck, maybe their business goes up? My instincts tell me it was bad move. Just look at the ratings crash the NFL suffered after the kneeling, obviously there were other variables but the “disrespect” was definitely a factor.

--- End quote ---

I'm staying away from too much personal back and forth on purpose in order to drive conversation, but do you think the dip in ratings had to do with the fact that the "protests" were happening or the fact that the NFL was trying to strongarm the protestors into silence/non-action? I tend to the latter.

--- End quote ---

I think the anthem protest was a big factor, and so doesn't a league like the NBA, who saw what was happening in the NFL and proceeded to reinforce their own standing rule.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/09/29/nba-memo-makes-clear-players-and-coaches-must-stand-for-national-anthem/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4fb993685928

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version