Author Topic: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment  (Read 16026 times)

Re: OKC announcer suspended 1 game for offensive comment
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 10:39:41 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I always thought of it as an old sayingaused as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?

this is kinda where im at.  Ive heard the phrase a ton of times over the years whether it be someone saying it or hearing it on tv.  Its one of those things you just never think of the meaning behind it, its just a saying people have said
Yeah, I am pretty sure the first time I heard it was on television, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon or an old western movie or something like that.

Yeah, TP - totally Bugs Bunny. I was coming on here to write exactly the same thing.

This is the type of situation that makes conservatives hate liberals even more. I get being PC, but this seems like the stretchiest of stretches.
Lol this isn't liberal vs conservative...
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 10:49:25 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I always thought of it as an old saying used as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?
it might to people whose ancestors were slaves just over 150 years ago.
Did some research. Apparently the saying "No can do" was a way to mock Asians in America during the mid 1800s. Does that saying really mean what it was started as? What about "Sold down the river"? which nowadays has a completely different meaning than that first used?

I am a pretty liberal guy and think highly of being politically correct. But is this going too far when meanings of sayings completely change their meaning hundreds of years later? I think maybe so.
Are you onboard with the expression “tar baby”?

But more to the point,who gets to declare the acceptability of such phrases that emerge from a time of rancid racism?

If you call somebody a tar baby, you’re racist.

If you refer to a situation as a tar baby, you were probably read Br’er Rabbit as a kid.

C'mon guys.  A little sensitivity for our other users, please?!  (just kidding)   :)

I’ve gotta say, I have no idea what a Tar Heel is.

It's a term given to terrible basketball players....j/k

It's mainly because tar was one of NC's earliest and most lucrative exports, and well, lots of people were barefoot back then.  During the Civil War people from the north used it as derogatory term to describe North Carolinian Confederate soldiers, but later on North Carolinians took it on as a term of pride.

I guess somehow that must make it racist.  Slaves once lived in NC, and worked in the tar industry, so.....

Also, while we're at it, no more calling potatoes 'red skin'.  That's racist too.

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2018, 10:53:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I always thought of it as an old sayingaused as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?

this is kinda where im at.  Ive heard the phrase a ton of times over the years whether it be someone saying it or hearing it on tv.  Its one of those things you just never think of the meaning behind it, its just a saying people have said
Yeah, I am pretty sure the first time I heard it was on television, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon or an old western movie or something like that.

Yeah, TP - totally Bugs Bunny. I was coming on here to write exactly the same thing.

This is the type of situation that makes conservatives hate liberals even more. I get being PC, but this seems like the stretchiest of stretches.
Lol this isn't liberal vs conservative...
Very true, as I might be one of the longtime, most liberal voices on this site and even I consider this over the top political correctness.

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I always thought of it as an old saying used as a substitute for swearing and never considered it racist. I guess it must be of southern origin and probably started as a slight to slaves. Still, over 300 years later, does it really mean the same thing?
it might to people whose ancestors were slaves just over 150 years ago.
Did some research. Apparently the saying "No can do" was a way to mock Asians in America during the mid 1800s. Does that saying really mean what it was started as? What about "Sold down the river"? which nowadays has a completely different meaning than that first used?

I am a pretty liberal guy and think highly of being politically correct. But is this going too far when meanings of sayings completely change their meaning hundreds of years later? I think maybe so.
Are you onboard with the expression “tar baby”?

But more to the point,who gets to declare the acceptability of such phrases that emerge from a time of rancid racism?

If you call somebody a tar baby, you’re racist.

If you refer to a situation as a tar baby, you were probably read Br’er Rabbit as a kid.

C'mon guys.  A little sensitivity for our other users, please?!  (just kidding)   :)

I’ve gotta say, I have no idea what a Tar Heel is.

It's a term given to terrible basketball players....j/k

It's mainly because tar was one of NC's earliest and most lucrative exports, and well, lots of people were barefoot back then.  During the Civil War people from the north used it as derogatory term to describe North Carolinian Confederate soldiers, but later on North Carolinians took it on as a term of pride.

I guess somehow that must make it racist.  Slaves once lived in NC, and worked in the tar industry, so.....

Also, while we're at it, no more calling potatoes 'red skin'.  That's racist too.

That's about it.  Originally a derogatory term based on the type of manual labor, though I think UNC adopted it because North Carolinians used it in a prideful way during the Civil War.

From there, the term has developed an extremely positive connotation and generally refers to the best collegiate athletes and human beings in the country.  Particularly along Tobacco Road.  :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Let's be 100% honest here....is anyone REALLY shocked that someone turned this into an issue with the over-the-top PC culture we live in?  If certain people (extreme Liberals) can't find something to be offended about they don't really have a purpose in life.  People this easily offended should be ashamed of themselves.

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 11:09:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Let's be 100% honest here....is anyone REALLY shocked that someone turned this into an issue with the over-the-top PC culture we live in?  If certain people (extreme Liberals) can't find something to be offended about they don't really have a purpose in life.  People this easily offended should be ashamed of themselves.
I am extremely liberal and find this wrong. Let's not label all people as being the same. Its actually quite against site rules.

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 11:15:30 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
I am extremely liberal and find this wrong. Let's not label all people as being the same. Its actually quite against site rules.

Either this was a really funny joke to validate my point (and if it was then touche) or you missed where I specifically said EXTREME Liberals.  I'm Liberal on certain issues myself but this was absolutely ridiculous.

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 11:29:05 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
To me it sounded like he was just cracking corn.  I don't care.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:25:59 AM by Mencius »

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Either this was a really funny joke to validate my point (and if it was then touche) or you missed where I specifically said EXTREME Liberals.  I'm Liberal on certain issues myself but this was absolutely ridiculous.
You labeled extreme liberals as the type of people that would be extremely offended by this because otherwise they don't have a reason in life. Your words, not mine. I am here as an extreme liberal to say that statement is not true and that your statement is against the rule as labeling people whether that be as pink hat fans, fair weather fans, white people, minority people, extreme liberals or extreme conservatives. Its wrong and against site rules. Simply state your opinion, back it up and leave labeling of people and their opinions out of it.

Further discussion can be had via sending me a personal message.

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown

You labeled extreme liberals as the type of people that would be extremely offended by this because otherwise they don't have a reason in life. Your words, not mine. I am here as an extreme liberal to say that statement is not true and that your statement is against the rule as labeling people whether that be as pink hat fans, fair weather fans, white people, minority people, extreme liberals or extreme conservatives. Its wrong and against site rules. Simply state your opinion, back it up and leave labeling of people and their opinions out of it.

Further discussion can be had via sending me a personal message.

Nah we're good.  Ironically I guess my point was both missed and made.  I'll let it go. 

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2018, 12:23:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Wew sounds a bit like the Qing dynasty where officials would intentionally read every last bit of literature written to find out words that are "offensive to the government" and proceed to put the writer on trial. Also sounds a bit like China during the Cultural Revolution. Just a random Celtics fan in China giving his meagre opinion on this, I hope this doesn't stir a frenzy.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2018, 12:40:25 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Wew sounds a bit like the Qing dynasty where officials would intentionally read every last bit of literature written to find out words that are "offensive to the government" and proceed to put the writer on trial. Also sounds a bit like China during the Cultural Revolution. Just a random Celtics fan in China giving his meagre opinion on this, I hope this doesn't stir a frenzy.
So I think I am a pretty average American and so know little to nothing regarding Chinese history. Seriously, the American educational system does everything it can to cover up American government atrocities when it comes to history, it does absolutely nothing to teach South East Asian/Chinese history.

So how does thus compare to China during the eras you discussed? Was there massive government praganda during those eras that would have twisted the spoken word to make it more confrontational?

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2018, 12:53:28 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
So I think I am a pretty average American and so know little to nothing regarding Chinese history. Seriously, the American educational system does everything it can to cover up American government atrocities when it comes to history, it does absolutely nothing to teach South East Asian/Chinese history.

So how does thus compare to China during the eras you discussed? Was there massive government praganda during those eras that would have twisted the spoken word to make it more confrontational?
Oh no, it was people nitpicking at every term, word or sentence possible to try and harm others by accusing them of being "offensive to the government" (there was quite some propaganda encouraging people to do so though, especially the latter case of PRC China). Obviously not the same case here but I think the nitpicking is possibly quite similar. Also in HK I only studied a little bit about WW1, WW2 and the Cold War, I'm basically as clueless as you on Chinese history if I was asked about Western history.
Here's a link about what I was talking about: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_Inquisition
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:06:51 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2018, 01:21:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Oh no, it was people nitpicking at every term, word or sentence possible to try and harm others by accusing them of being "offensive to the government" (there was quite some propaganda encouraging people to do so though, especially the latter case of PRC China). Obviously not the same case here but I think the nitpicking is possibly quite similar. Also in HK I only studied a little bit about WW1, WW2 and the Cold War, I'm basically as clueless as you on Chinese history if I was asked about Western history.
Here's a link about what I was talking about: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_Inquisition
TP, thanks. Some real eye opening stuff there as compared to how non-contemporary ideas were handled in the US. Makes me glad I am American.

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2018, 01:26:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

TP, thanks. Some real eye opening stuff there as compared to how non-contemporary ideas were handled in the US. Makes me glad I am American.
Haha yeah. Just trying to say that this is eerily similar to the start of such things in China, and I hope that America doesn't follow the same road with a completely opposite original intent that was hoping to make the US a better society
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA