Author Topic: Tatum highlights from game 1  (Read 2017 times)

Re: Tatum highlights from game 1
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 05:41:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I just read on the Ringer that "Simmons was the best player on the floor on Tuesday, with 19 points on 7-of-14 shooting, 15 rebounds, and eight assists." In the game I watched Tatum was the best player on the floor with 23 points 9 rebounds 3 assist in 29 minutes. Simmons stayed on the floor in garbage time to pad his stats and played 43 minutes in what became a blowout. If you didn't watch the game and just looked at the box score maybe you could thing Simmons had a better game.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I just read on the Ringer that "Simmons was the best player on the floor on Tuesday, with 19 points on 7-of-14 shooting, 15 rebounds, and eight assists." In the game I watched Tatum was the best player on the floor with 23 points 9 rebounds 3 assist in 29 minutes. Simmons stayed on the floor in garbage time to pad his stats and played 43 minutes in what became a blowout. If you didn't watch the game and just looked at the box score maybe you could thing Simmons had a better game.

He's getting a lot of hype by people who are selectively forgetting what a liability he was in the playoffs last year.  He is an amazing player, but unless he develops some semblance of an outside shot, he will always be a liability. He's almost useless in half court offenses.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He's getting a lot of hype by people who are selectively forgetting what a liability he was in the playoffs last year.  He is an amazing player, but unless he develops some semblance of an outside shot, he will always be a liability. He's almost useless in half court offenses.

Simmons also seems to be a stat padder. Players that would rather get some crazy stats than win games.

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If I never saw Tatum or Simmons play before and watched only last night’s game, I would think that Simmons was the better player.  I would think that maybe Tatum was hitting his shot and had a better game due to the outcome, but Simmons looked pretty awesome in areas other than shooting.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone better on a fast break.  He passes like Magic and finishes like Lebron.  Pretty unstoppable in that situation.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 09:19:49 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
If I never saw Tatum or Simmons play before and watched only last night’s game, I would think that Simmons was the better player.  I would think that maybe Tatum was hitting his shot and had a better game due to the outcome, but Simmons looked pretty awesome in areas other than shooting.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone better on a fast break.  He passes like Magic and finishes like Lebron.  Pretty unstoppable in that situation.

Simmons will be much easier to stop in the playoffs. Simmons played 14 more minutes than Tatum and went to the line 11 times, all Celtics only shot 14 free throws combined.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:25:35 PM by liam »

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 06:32:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Simmons becoming an elite two-way player.....

Did folks note that lack of assertiveness the whole first quarter, I did.

Simmons will be much easier to stop in the playoffs. Simmons played 14 more minutes than Tatum and went to the line 11 times, all Celtics only shot 14 free throws combined.

Simmons is clearly on the league list to subsidize his production with FTAs.   The refs let him get away with a lot and gave him a lot of star calls when he missed shots.

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There have been innumerable players who can’t shoot who still found other ways to simply strike fear in you as an opposing fan. Jordan averaged 37 shooting below 20% from deep on less than an attempt a game.
It isn’t merely his lack of shooting that is stopping him from being a top-10 player in the league. I think it’s partly mental too, which has been a criticism since his LSU days
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No one said Simmons isn't going to be a really good, or possibly great, player someday.  It's just that Tatum has elite scoring talent and those guys generally end up higher on all-time lists.