Author Topic: How many goose eggs will Carsen Edwards lay?  (Read 10629 times)

Re: How many goose eggs will Carsen Edwards lay?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 07:30:56 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
I'm not a fan of Edwards. I guess his absolute ceiling is Isaiah Thomas, but a) it seams highly unlikely that he'll reach that ceiling and b) I was never a fan of IT anyway cause he's a liability on D.

I could understand drafting a guy like IT at #60/late second round. I wouldn't draft Edwards at #33/early second round.

Anyway, it's still early in the season. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

IT almost singlehandedly willed the team to the nba finals. And you won't pick that guy with the 33rd pick in the draft?!

Dude, you are lucky to get a rotation player at 33.
No team can make a deep playoff run with IT being their best scoring option.

I must be missing something - or do you not consider getting to the ECF a “deep playoff run”?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 07:40:34 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Everytime I read a box score, this guy Carsen has 0 pts. Incredible
carsen has played in 17 nba games. he has scored in 12 of them and a "goose egg" in 5 of them. obviously you need to read more box scores.

also, while carsen is having real trouble as a second round pick in his rookie year, he did manage double digits three times (10, 13, and 18 points.)

let's see how he looks at the end of the year. that might give us more evidence to assess his play and ability in the nba.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm not a fan of Edwards. I guess his absolute ceiling is Isaiah Thomas, but a) it seams highly unlikely that he'll reach that ceiling and b) I was never a fan of IT anyway cause he's a liability on D.

I could understand drafting a guy like IT at #60/late second round. I wouldn't draft Edwards at #33/early second round.

Anyway, it's still early in the season. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

IT almost singlehandedly willed the team to the nba finals. And you won't pick that guy with the 33rd pick in the draft?!

Dude, you are lucky to get a rotation player at 33.
No team can make a deep playoff run with IT being their best scoring option.

I must be missing something - or do you not consider getting to the ECF a “deep playoff run”?
Strictly speaking you are right, of course. At the end of the day, we both know that the C's were never legit contenders with IT. Only reason why we made it to the ECF was that LeBron had killed the competition in the East, hence most of the teams were building for the future.

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2019, 07:47:49 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
He and Grant Williams are getting generous developmental minutes because the coaching staff think they’ll be a contribution down the line.

Edwards is being groomed for a similar kind of spot as Terry Rozier had - namely, a “scoring point“ or “lead guard“ or something like that. Actually it’s kind of remarkable the similarities: low turnovers and high defensive rebounding are two of the surprising similarities, despite their different builds.

Built like a fireplug, has toughness and gets up into his man.

Nice tight handles, excellent left hand, has a real repertoire for getting shots off the dribble, going left or right.

If I am his coach, I keep telling him, “keep making the right play, young fellow, when it’s your shot, shoot it. We believe in you, keep shooting.”

Don’t get hung up on the box score. There is a specific role for him to play, and he’s got what it takes to step into it. Do I need to remind people that he is a rookie who has played fewer than 20 games?

Grant Williams will probably play 10 years in the NBA even if he doesn't get any better just based on positional flexibility and general basketball awareness.  He's constantly in the right place and doing the right things.  There was a play against New York where he was following Kemba on the break. When Kemba looked up to pass to him for a decent shot, Williams hollered to pass to Tatum who was streaking behind him, literally pointed behind him so Kemba would see where the ball should go, and then screened two defenders out of the play while Tatum rose up for a catch and shoot three.  That kind of heady - team oriented - play is going to make him a favorite of teammates and coaches for a long time.

Langford was injured all through college, and has been injured his entire pro-career.  Seems like that's who he is.  Not really durable enough to be a professional - some guys just aren't.

Edwards doesn't look like he's ready to contribute this year,  I could see him being similar to San Antonio's Bryn Forbes in a season or two.  Great college scorer who has to find his NBA niche.   
just like timelord. i remember him thread last year when some posters forecast his nba career as doomed - too injury prone, cant hold up.

once more, a rush-to-judgement moment here at CS.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 10:16:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Looks like another one tonight

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 10:18:02 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
You know, I'd be interested to see his shot distribution in college. I'd wager a guess that his threes were from the top or wings, not the corners. Unfortunately, that's where he is getting looks right now.

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Repent of your sins against the GOAT.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
i think carsen may be taking this personally... 2 points to end the goose egg.  ;D
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 03:28:44 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
i think carsen may be taking this personally... 2 points to end the goose egg.  ;D
i wouldn’t be surprised. If you do Google alerts for your own name, you’ll find anything. A player like Carsen Edwards will find most discussion online about them in fan forums like these

It would be funny if this was indeed the case lol

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 03:47:59 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
We're being extremely hard on this kid because he raised our expectations playing against scrubs in the preseason and hit 9 3s in a quarter. He's a second round pick and there's a reason he was. He's not actually doing that badly all things considered. Here's how all the second round picks who have played at least 10 games and 10 minutes a game have fared thus far:

Paschall's been force fed minutes with the Dubs but other than him there's only a handful that have had the impact Carsen has had - a minor impact but he's got himself into the rotation.

Here's all the picks and how they've done so far. He hasn't set the world on fire but I'm not sure what people were expecting. As long as he keeps his head up and continues to try to impact the game in ways other than scoring he'll be fine eventually.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 05:38:50 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
As long as he (...) continues to try to impact the game in ways other than scoring he'll be fine eventually.
Thing is, can he impact the game in ways other than scoring? I mean, he isn't even a good passer (he recorded more turnovers than assists last season at the college level). He can't play D or grab rebounds at an above average level cause he's 5'11". What's left for him to do other than scoring?

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 07:52:22 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Guy is not an NBA player..oversea future for him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
On defense Carsen is probably the hardest working player on the court. He's perpetually applying pressure to whoever he's guarding. On offense he's taking what's given to him - not over reaching.

I'm imressed with his effort and maturity. I believe Brad Stevens feels the same way because he gets a lot of minutes for a 2nd round rookie.

His attitude must be contagious. His team is entertaining and they are winning. Keep working Carsen the team is playing great!

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 11:59:01 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
Ah yes, the dreaded CS #hottake. No one hates Celtics players like Celtics fans.

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2019, 12:21:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Ah yes, the dreaded CS #hottake. No one hates Celtics players like Celtics fans.

I love Edwards. He's a worker. He'll be fine.