Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107484 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #510 on: June 17, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
More good picks is different than more good players. You are correct that a top player beats several good players but more high picks equals more swings of the bat in the crap shoot that is the NBA draft, giving you a better chance at one of those elite players.

The #1 overall pick is not a crapshoot.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up
Had a chance to sleep on this and I'm more mad than I was yesterday.

I'm hoping Danny comes to his senses and just picks Fultz.

This type of reaction sounds very similar to what happened in last years draft...

Give Danny the benefit of the doubt

The difference is I LOVED Jaylen Brown and was ecstatic that Ainge took the chance on him rather than giving in to pressure and taking the "sure thing," in Dunn.

Fultz isn't a "sure thing," he is the only thing for us in this draft.

Well it is actually interesting because people wanted Dunn so they could trade him to Philly for Okafor or Noel.  Think about that for a second.

Not everyone :). I predicted and was happy with Jaylen Brown, the upside pick who had a legitimate claim as BPA.

I was at the draft party at TD and was one of maybe 10 people who cheered the Jaylen pick...and everyone else booed hard.

I still think the only reason he got booed was because people were expecting a Butler trade, not because they wanted Kris freaking Dunn, but that was definitely a low point for this fanbase.

The heavily rumored trade was Dunn to PHI for Okafor/Noel, and that lead to rumors of Okafor/Noel + 2017 BK pick for Butler.

Think about how badly that would have ended for us.
I was one of the people big on Dunn but it was more because of being a huge PC fan. I thought shoot if Celtics can grab the hometown kid and I can continue watching my favorite player in the ncaa on my favorite nba team it was a no brainer. But I'm also not the GM and thank God I'm not because I think jaylen is easily the better prospect now
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
More good picks is different than more good players. You are correct that a top player beats several good players but more high picks equals more swings of the bat in the crap shoot that is the NBA draft, giving you a better chance at one of those elite players.

Roughly 20 years of #1 picks. Some all-stars. Some HOF's. Some mild disappointments. Some complete busts. So, yeah, it's always a crapshoot.

Olowokandi
Brand
Kenyon Martin
Kwame Brown
Yao
LeBron
Howard
Bogut
Bargnani
Oden
Rose
Blake Griffin
Wall
Irving
Davis
Bennett
Wiggins
Simmons

« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41
Top 3 win shares players per draft (position chosen), 2000 - 2009:

2000: 16, 5, 8;
2001: 3. 28, 2;
2002: 9, 34, 7;
2003: 1, 5, 4;
2004: 1, 9, 7;
2005: 4, 3, 30;
2006: 2, 47, 24;
2007: 2, 3, 48;
2008: 4, 5, 35;
2009: 3, 7, 1.

I chose this decade -- recent but not too recent -- to stay contemporary, but while realizing the most recent drafts have many careers yet to fully play out. There are several active players in these listed drafts, but the overall impression shouldn't be much distorted by them. The hierarchy has mostly been established.

Interesting to note: the #1 overall pick appears only 3 times out of these 30 positions (Lebron, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin). Maybe #1 pick is NOT a slam dunk no-brainer choice?

Discuss:

« Reply #514 on: June 17, 2017, 12:59:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
fresh out of the oven..

Keith Pompey: Word out of Boston is that #Sixers and #Cetlics may come to an agreement but trade won’t be done until draft night. – via

Mark Murphy: Source close to Fultz says he is expected to work out for Philadelphia “sometime today.” – via Twitter Murf56

« Reply #515 on: June 17, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is obviously not true at all, as Eddie20 points out.

« Reply #516 on: June 17, 2017, 01:01:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Keith Pompey: Word out of Boston is that #Sixers and #Cetlics may come to an agreement but trade won’t be done until draft night. – via

I hope its before the 1st pick is announced....awkward otherwise

but this is the right move. safety net...in case either fultz or jackson sustain an injury prior to the draft

« Reply #517 on: June 17, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So no new info on what the return from Phili is or if we are packaging anything for Butler or PG3?

« Reply #518 on: June 17, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The more I follow this the more I'm just about certain that if Danny does deal #1, it won't be to the Sixers.

« Reply #519 on: June 17, 2017, 01:07:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

but this is the right move. safety net...in case either fultz or jackson sustain an injury prior to the draft
More likely that Ainge wants to see who goes #2 to the Lakers. I think Ainge has narrowed it down to Fultz and Jackson. Ainge is going to draft Fultz at 1. If Lakers draft Jackson instead of Ball, he's keeping Fultz. If Lakers select Ball, C's make trade with 76ers to take Jackson plus picks/players/etc.

« Reply #520 on: June 17, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This is obviously not true at all, as Eddie20 points out.

It's not a certainty, but it's not a crapshoot to the extent of the rest of the draft. More often than not, especially when there's a consensus #1, the #1 ends up being successful.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #521 on: June 17, 2017, 01:08:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Get ready for it to be awkward.

If Danny likes Jackson (and only Jackson), he will have to wait until after the Lakers pick before making the reported trade.

« Reply #522 on: June 17, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
How does LA play into all of this? They must understand that they have a lot of leverage.

I'm starting to wonder whether Danny wants Tatum or someone else not in the consensus top 3. Or the team we are moving the pick to must want someone like that.

Oh the irony if the guy he has his eye on is Fox.

« Reply #523 on: June 17, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Top 3 win shares players per draft (position chosen), 2000 - 2009:

2000: 16, 5, 8;
2001: 3. 28, 2;
2002: 9, 34, 7;
2003: 1, 5, 4;
2004: 1, 9, 7;
2005: 4, 3, 30;
2006: 2, 47, 24;
2007: 2, 3, 48;
2008: 4, 5, 35;
2009: 3, 7, 1.

I chose this decade -- recent but not too recent -- to stay contemporary, but while realizing the most recent drafts have many careers yet to fully play out. There are several active players in these listed drafts, but the overall impression shouldn't be much distorted by them. The hierarchy has mostly been established.

Interesting to note: the #1 overall pick appears only 3 times out of these 30 positions (Lebron, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin). Maybe #1 pick is NOT a slam dunk no-brainer choice?

Discuss:

2008 was Derrick Rose, an MVP caliber player before injury.

2007 was Oden, career also ruined by injury.

2006 was Bargnani, bust

2005 was Bogut, obviously didn't live up to #1 pick potential

2002 was Yao, career hurt by injury but an 8x all-star.

2001 was Kwame, bust

2000 was Kenyon Martin, not a bad player but definitely didn't love up to #1 pick potential.

Win shares definitely don't tell the whole story here. Also, were these 10 #1 picks all the consensus #1 pick or were some guys taken "out of order"?

« Reply #524 on: June 17, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I will say, while it is my opinion Fultz is the best prospect in this draft, and this opinion is clearly shared by most of the internet, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

If Ainge feels differently, you have to trust his judgment. Ainge knows more than any poster on this forum, draftexpress, or any other so-called draft expert (i.e. the Chad Ford's of the world).

But my hope would be we could flip some of the picks gained from trading down for Paul George or Jimmy Butler (preference on George). If Ainge walks away with George/Butler and the 2019 Sac #1, well I think you have to do that type of deal 10 out of 10 times.

But for all the hubbub yesterday, it appears whatever was really being discussed has cooled a bit. That's the Internet for ya.....