Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107484 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #495 on: June 17, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Things we don't know:

1. Just how good or bad Fultz' workout, interviews with people close to Fultz, overall talent evaluation went and medical checkup went. The Cs could have Fultz as a worse prospect than the Chad Fors and DraftExpresses of the world have him.

2.  If Ainge doesn't like this draft as a whole and wants to trade out of it. The CB draftniks keep saying this is an excellent draft but Ainge may not see it that way.

3.  Whether follow up deals are in place after Danny finishes the Fultz trade. Ainge's target has long been rumored to be Butller who is only 26 and on a very friendly contract for two years. Trading Bradley and salary, like Zeller on draft night, means Bradley's upcoming contract decision is removed and the max contract being given to a free agent comes one year after Horford. Then ITs max happens then the year after Butlers it makes possibly being in the luxury tax possible for just one year down the line because then Horford's max expires.

4.  Whether Ainge thinks next year's top of the draft is rated much higher and is more in line with what this team needs. He could be looking at two different chances at landing in the top 3 to take two generational bigs. This would make letting Horford go two years down the line palatable.

For these reasons, I have no problem with this move if its bringing back a star in Butler and a chance at two top threes next year. I have said numerous times I didn't think this draft was as good as most of the bloggers here or DE or Ford thought it was. Its not a Lebron, Melo, Wade, Bosh draft. It may not even be a draft where you can get a Wall, Cousins, George, Hayward draft and Ainge might see it just that way.

Or Ainge just loves Jackson and Ball and is okay with either.

We will see in 5 days.

I think we know simply by the reporters that are involved (Woj, Lowe, Stein) that it is clear the #1 pick is available.  By extension, we then know that the Celtics do not think Fultz is a must-have top prospect.  There could be a lot of reasons for this, but my speculation is that there are other players who the Celtics like nearly as much.

I also think Philly has a lot to do with this.  I don't see how Lonzo Ball and Ben Simmons work together.  If LA is seriously considering Jackson at #2, then Philly has to trade up or reach on Fox.

« Reply #496 on: June 17, 2017, 11:53:05 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Had a chance to sleep on this and I'm more mad than I was yesterday.

I'm hoping Danny comes to his senses and just picks Fultz.

This type of reaction sounds very similar to what happened in last years draft...

Give Danny the benefit of the doubt

The difference is I LOVED Jaylen Brown and was ecstatic that Ainge took the chance on him rather than giving in to pressure and taking the "sure thing," in Dunn.

Fultz isn't a "sure thing," he is the only thing for us in this draft.

Well it is actually interesting because people wanted Dunn so they could trade him to Philly for Okafor or Noel.  Think about that for a second.

Not everyone :). I predicted and was happy with Jaylen Brown, the upside pick who had a legitimate claim as BPA.

how you do stack up Jackson against Brown?

I'd say Jackson is a better prospect than Brown. Comparable athletes, Jaylen's shot and frame are better, but Jackson's a better defender, passer, rebounder, and has a better motor. Jaylen also comes without the character concerns. Overall, they're comparable prospects, but I'd take Jackson.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #497 on: June 17, 2017, 11:54:28 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

This type of reaction sounds very similar to what happened in last years draft...

The difference is I LOVED Jaylen Brown and was ecstatic that Ainge took the chance on him rather than giving in to pressure and taking the "sure thing," in Dunn.

Well it is actually interesting because people wanted Dunn so they could trade him to Philly for Okafor or Noel.  Think about that for a second.

Not everyone :). I predicted and was happy with Jaylen Brown, the upside pick who had a legitimate claim as BPA.

I was at the draft party at TD and was one of maybe 10 people who cheered the Jaylen pick...and everyone else booed hard. 

« Reply #498 on: June 17, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If this trade eventually yields us Butler, Porter(BKN 2018) and Ayton(LAL 2018) is it a good trade?

« Reply #499 on: June 17, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

I was at the draft party at TD and was one of maybe 10 people who cheered the Jaylen pick...and everyone else booed hard.

I still think the only reason he got booed was because people were expecting a Butler trade, not because they wanted Kris freaking Dunn, but that was definitely a low point for this fanbase.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #500 on: June 17, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
If this trade eventually yields us Butler, Porter(BKN 2018) and Ayton(LAL 2018) is it a good trade?

Flawed process, good result.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #501 on: June 17, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

I still think the only reason he got booed was because people were expecting a Butler trade, not because they wanted Kris freaking Dunn, but that was definitely a low point for this fanbase.

The heavily rumored trade was Dunn to PHI for Okafor/Noel, and that lead to rumors of Okafor/Noel + 2017 BK pick for Butler.

Think about how badly that would have ended for us.

« Reply #502 on: June 17, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

This trade wouldn't net us Brooklyn 18, we already own it.

Why do we need to trade down to get Butler? Why didn't we just trade for him at the deadline.

I don't buy that Lakers AND Brooklyn will be top 3 picks again. It just doesn't seem possible three years in a row. LAL has too much talent now and have no incentive to suck for 2018 (no pick) as does Brooklyn. Even then, what are the odds we hit gold again? Not likely, we all know how the lottery simulator works and the team with the best odds is on a three year run, can't keep that up.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #503 on: June 17, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Why do we need to trade down to get Butler? Why didn't we just trade for him at the deadline.

I don't buy that Lakers AND Brooklyn will be top 3 picks again. It just doesn't seem possible three years in a row. LAL has too much talent now and have no incentive to suck for 2018 (no pick) as does Brooklyn. Even then, what are the odds we hit gold again? Not likely, we all know how the lottery simulator works and the team with the best odds is on a three year run, can't keep that up.

Danny is not trading this pick to get more picks to trade for Butler.  But with more future unprotected possible top-10 picks in his hands the likelihood that one of them could be used to net Butler goes up.

« Reply #504 on: June 17, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Danny is not trading this pick to get more picks to trade for Butler.  But with more future unprotected possible top-10 picks in his hands the likelihood that one of them could be used to net Butler goes up.

I thought this Butler hype died at the deadline. Killing me that it came back.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #505 on: June 17, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If Danny trades down it will be for a haul of picks... Gs and LeBron will be around for a few more years...  The more good picks you have the better..  Smart Brown Jackson one of ayton or bamba or porter are not a bad core

« Reply #506 on: June 17, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Sorry should have said if we eventually end up with not eventually yields.

Also, Brooklyn didn't have their pick this year and sucked. They and the Lakers will both suck again next year irregardless of not owning picks. Its very possible for the Cs to end up with 2 top 4 picks next year if we get the Lakers pick in this draft.

« Reply #507 on: June 17, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

I thought this Butler hype died at the deadline. Killing me that it came back.

The one reason it will keep coming back is that his contract is actually really good now considering the cap spike.  He has 2 years @ ~17M with a player option.  Basically Evan Turner's deal.

« Reply #508 on: June 17, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
If Danny trades down it will be for a haul of picks... Gs and LeBron will be around for a few more years...  The more good picks you have the better..  Smart Brown Jackson one of ayton or bamba or porter are not a bad core

No, in the NBA quality always exceeds quantity. You know why teams don't try to assemble rosters of 15 good players? Because 4 great ones will wax the floor with them.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
More good picks is different than more good players. You are correct that a top player beats several good players but more high picks equals more swings of the bat in the crap shoot that is the NBA draft, giving you a better chance at one of those elite players.