Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107491 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #480 on: June 17, 2017, 09:36:34 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Watch Danny flip #1 for #3, 2018 Lakers and 2019 Kings. Then flip #3 for #5 and #10. Use #5 and 2018 Lakers to pick up Butler then take Dennis Smith at #10. Then come out and say some crap like "we got the guy at the top of our board at 10 and were able to collect more assets." And all we will end up content... Or close to it.

This is 1000% unlikely. Mark my words, Danny WILL NOT draft 2 lottery picks no matter what this year. Danny WILL NOT trade drown just to draft another guard. What I will say is ive been looking at this Taytum guy and out of all the highlights I've seen from Ball, Fultz, and Jackson he is the only one I can actually see potential in. Hey question is do you want a Paul Pierce (Taytum) or James Harden Fultz). Although I don't really see the comparassion to James Harden like everyone else sees.

Well I never said anything about drafting 2 lottery picks. But [dang], 1000% unlikely and you're marking your words? You must be the Ainge whisperer.

« Reply #481 on: June 17, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The tweets this morning are saying 1) Butler is Ainge's target for those multiple picks he gets from Philly-- 3 way deal "per league sources", and 2) Philly is getting Fox in today as well for a look.

The Philly deal isn't sealed yet, but it's looking like Ainge wants to parlay those picks into Butler.

« Reply #482 on: June 17, 2017, 09:47:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
What if the Celtics make the trade and... the Lakers take Jackson at #2?  Because then we are screwed.

Fultz is off the board.  Jackson is off the board.

We can either draft a PG who has difficulty shooting midrange - Ball and whose dad's ego isn't a fit for Boston or we can select from the second tier of Tatum, Monk, Fox, etc.

It just seems very risky to make this trade when you needed the ping pong balls to bounce 'just right' to land #1 in this year's draft.

And what would the package be in return?

It had better be a Penny Hardaway level trade - ie #3 plus two-three unprotected #1 picks or it won't be worth it. 

Even then thinking of the Hardaway trade - did any good players come out of the future firsts outside of Penny himself?  I can't remember a single memorable selection.

I remember Keon Clark and Mike Miller.

Todd Fuller was the other one in 1996 where Orlando could have had Kobe, Peja Stojakovic, Nash or Jermaine O'Neal who all went in the next few picks.

Oh, turns out Keon Clark was from a 2nd deal. Orlando swapped their GSW pick with Washington and took Clark. Vince Carter was the pick they would've had although I think that was a trade with Jamison. That Toronto would have taken Vince one pick earlier if not for the trade. So Orlando would have got Jamison. Not Vince.

That could have been one hell of a haul. They could have had Kobe, Jamison, Mike Miller and Penny Hardaway for Chris Webber.

Instead, Orlando blew the two most valuable picks. Mike Miller the only valuable piece outside of Penny that they got.

« Reply #483 on: June 17, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I don't want to give up this year's 1st and 2018 Brooklyn pick for Butler or George. This doesn't put us ahead the Warriors, even close, but we are trading our future to contend in a very hard period. This would be the worst possible move, in my opinion.

Agreed -- I am not giving up two top 5 picks for Butler or George. That is ridiculous. Huge overpay. They get one top 5 pick, a veteran and a lesser young asset like Rozier.

Two top 5 picks is worthy of an MVP caliber talent (like Anthony Davis).

Neither of those guys are that.

« Reply #484 on: June 17, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Watch Danny flip #1 for #3, 2018 Lakers and 2019 Kings. Then flip #3 for #5 and #10. Use #5 and 2018 Lakers to pick up Butler then take Dennis Smith at #10. Then come out and say some crap like "we got the guy at the top of our board at 10 and were able to collect more assets." And all we will end up content... Or close to it.

This is 1000% unlikely. Mark my words, Danny WILL NOT draft 2 lottery picks no matter what this year. Danny WILL NOT trade drown just to draft another guard. What I will say is ive been looking at this Taytum guy and out of all the highlights I've seen from Ball, Fultz, and Jackson he is the only one I can actually see potential in. Hey question is do you want a Paul Pierce (Taytum) or James Harden Fultz). Although I don't really see the comparassion to James Harden like everyone else sees.

Were does he say DA is drafting two players? He's drafting Smith Jr and using the 5th pick on Butler. Smith is pretty underrated, can scoe and pass, plays good D, very athletic, and is a good leader. He's right up DA's ally.

That being said I don't think Butler is the first target. DA is swinging for AD. And don't say he's untouchable, NO is in trouble and right now would be the best shot getting the most for him and start a new rebuild.

NO is going to have a hard time getting FA's to play with AD and Boogie, who don't fit well. they have about 30 mill tied up in three crap players for the next four years. What FA are they going to bring in that helps except for one that might get payed well at the end of FA season. They could get luck with that, but what are the chances? They will be drafting in the middle for the next 4 years unless they get lucky. Too good to be in the top 5, not good enough to really compete in the playoffs. And Mini,PHX,POR,LAL and maybe even SAC(with this trade) can be better than them by the time AD's contract is done.

DA could send out 2017#5,37, 2018:LA's(from Philly) or 2019SAC(from Philly) with the rights to swap for the nets 2018 if better, 2019 LAC,MEPH Plus AB,Crowder,Johnson, Young Mickey.

All these picks have potential to be in the top 5 depending on if teams blow it up. Plus they'd be getting their own lotto picks at the same time to move up in the draft if they want to. They can cut bait with Boogie at the deadline for a 1st rounder and go tank mode.

All though I'd be okay with AB,Crowder,Johnson, 2017#5,37, 2018 LA, and Nets. But I'm greedy and one more pick to go with Brown and Smith to be in the starting line up with AD in a few years.

And yes it's a stretch, but DA at least has to try something like this. To get a 23 year old Big that can play D and shoot the 3, you go all in.

IT/Smith/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Green or FA/Nader
Horford/Yabu
AD/Zizc

I'd put that up against the CAVS or Warriors with Stevens coaching.

« Reply #485 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
It sure will make for a more interesting draft now. I was hopeful Danny was going to tell Fultz you are my guy until you retire. All this noise will now hurt if we do pick him.  In my heart now I hope some blockbuster comes because of all this speculation.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
I just don't see why Ainge wants more picks in next year's draft. Nobody in the top 5 is his type of player.

MPJ and Doncic can shoot, and have potential as more than just defensive role players.

Bamba and Ayton are tall and can grab rebounds.

Combine this with the fact that they're all considered elite prospects and I'm just not sure why Ainge wants a shot at any of them.

« Reply #487 on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I just don't see why Ainge wants more picks in next year's draft. Nobody in the top 5 is his type of player.

MPJ and Doncic can shoot, and have potential as more than just defensive role players.

Bamba and Ayton are tall and can grab rebounds.

Combine this with the fact that they're all considered elite prospects and I'm just not sure why Ainge wants a shot at any of them.
perhaps for the same reasons he wanted zizic and yabusele?  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
WWhatever Danny works out with the 76ers if he can get Holmes part of the trade would be like lighting the candle on a Bday cake

« Reply #489 on: June 17, 2017, 11:37:15 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Things we don't know:

1. Just how good or bad Fultz' workout, interviews with people close to Fultz, overall talent evaluation went and medical checkup went. The Cs could have Fultz as a worse prospect than the Chad Fors and DraftExpresses of the world have him.

2.  If Ainge doesn't like this draft as a whole and wants to trade out of it. The CB draftniks keep saying this is an excellent draft but Ainge may not see it that way.

3.  Whether follow up deals are in place after Danny finishes the Fultz trade. Ainge's target has long been rumored to be Butller who is only 26 and on a very friendly contract for two years. Trading Bradley and salary, like Zeller on draft night, means Bradley's upcoming contract decision is removed and the max contract being given to a free agent comes one year after Horford. Then ITs max happens then the year after Butlers it makes possibly being in the luxury tax possible for just one year down the line because then Horford's max expires.

4.  Whether Ainge thinks next year's top of the draft is rated much higher and is more in line with what this team needs. He could be looking at two different chances at landing in the top 3 to take two generational bigs. This would make letting Horford go two years down the line palatable.

For these reasons, I have no problem with this move if its bringing back a star in Butler and a chance at two top threes next year. I have said numerous times I didn't think this draft was as good as most of the bloggers here or DE or Ford thought it was. Its not a Lebron, Melo, Wade, Bosh draft. It may not even be a draft where you can get a Wall, Cousins, George, Hayward draft and Ainge might see it just that way.

Or Ainge just loves Jackson and Ball and is okay with either.

We will see in 5 days.

« Reply #490 on: June 17, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Had a chance to sleep on this and I'm more mad than I was yesterday.

I'm hoping Danny comes to his senses and just picks Fultz.

This type of reaction sounds very similar to what happened in last years draft...

Give Danny the benefit of the doubt

The difference is I LOVED Jaylen Brown and was ecstatic that Ainge took the chance on him rather than giving in to pressure and taking the "sure thing," in Dunn.

Fultz isn't a "sure thing," he is the only thing for us in this draft.

Well it is actually interesting because people wanted Dunn so they could trade him to Philly for Okafor or Noel.  Think about that for a second.

« Reply #491 on: June 17, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

This type of reaction sounds very similar to what happened in last years draft...

The difference is I LOVED Jaylen Brown and was ecstatic that Ainge took the chance on him rather than giving in to pressure and taking the "sure thing," in Dunn.

Well it is actually interesting because people wanted Dunn so they could trade him to Philly for Okafor or Noel.  Think about that for a second.

Not everyone :). I predicted and was happy with Jaylen Brown, the upside pick who had a legitimate claim as BPA.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #492 on: June 17, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Thanks for the chuckle while I'm clenching my chest in anticipation of trading the #1 pick.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #493 on: June 17, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Not everyone :). I predicted and was happy with Jaylen Brown, the upside pick who had a legitimate claim as BPA.

how you do stack up Jackson against Brown?

« Reply #494 on: June 17, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
e sun came up this morning .....

Danny is thinking like a sane man again ,  he wqs thinking mightly foolish thoughts.....take pills Danny .

Has called Fultz apologized

for temporarily insanity. 

I trust all is well once again.