Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107491 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #450 on: June 17, 2017, 05:27:10 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Tom Moore, a beat writer for the 76ers, says a second version of the trade with the Bulls and 76ers has been floated around now, including:

Boston: Butler

Philly: #1

Chicago: #3, 2018 Brooklyn pick, Okafor

I'm calling major, major BS on that. We'd essentially be giving up 2 Brooklyn picks for Butler then, which he is clearly not worth. Why would we even involve Philly at all in this scenario? Butler could be had with the first pick by itself and something like Rozier most likely.

I'd say if that is part of the trade, then Philly is also sending us something like Simmons, Saric, several of their picks (LA, Sac, etc.), or some combination of those things. That trade as established is surely a no-go and makes no sense.

If Boston did this, surely he flips Bradley for a big man this summer.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2017, 05:36:27 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Some thoughts.

I haven't seen Fultz, Ball, Jackson and so on play consistently. In Spain, watching the NCAA is almost impossible. So I can't say if Fultz is a generational talent or the gap among them is too high to make this deal or not.

Said that, the feeling of a pre-arrangement with Hayward/Griffin, which has always seemed obvious to me when we stood pat in February, is confirmed. Trading down and not taking players in return means creating more space to be prepared for this maximum FA to be signed.

Also, I don't know if there are moves pending after trading 1 for 3 in this draft. As it's been suggested, I mean Butler, George or a hidden name. In Ainge I trust, really. So I just want to wait until the day is done and we see if this trade is finalized, or others, before entering panic mode. And all of you should, too. We are reacting over rumours and don't know the entire plan. And if Ainge has proved something in his 15-year span in our FO is that he always has a plan.

I don't want to give up this year's 1st and 2018 Brooklyn pick for Butler or George. This doesn't put us ahead the Warriors, even close, but we are trading our future to contend in a very hard period. This would be the worst possible move, in my opinion.

If this happens, what really worries me is the Philly team for the next decade, provided they are more or less healthy. Simmons, Fultz, Embiid, complements like Saric, Covington or Holmes and the FA this could attract is really a serious problem.

Finally, if we get and keep the Lakers 2018 unprotected pick, I'd be quite happy. They have Ingram, Russell, Randle and probably Ball/Jackson, plus veterans in awful contracts (Deng, Mozgov). They are waiting to sign big FAs in 2018, where PG and LeBron are the big prizes. So they'll try to clean the house and trade those bad contracts with picks attached to convince teams. I think they are probably bottom 5 this year again.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:42:14 AM by Darío SpanishFan »

« Reply #452 on: June 17, 2017, 05:56:57 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Gotta think if we only get one pick back it's whichever is better between the LA pick and phillys owb pick - which gives us that many more chances At the top 3 next year.

« Reply #453 on: June 17, 2017, 06:15:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I haven't seen Fultz, Ball, Jackson and so on play consistently. In Spain, watching the NCAA is almost impossible. So I can't say if Fultz is a generational talent or the gap among them is too high to make this deal or not.

Youtube is your friend and you can find tons of videos of their game play.

« Reply #454 on: June 17, 2017, 06:22:37 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I believe the rumours. Ainge has said all along he thinks there isn't much separation between the top 4. We all know Philly wants a star pg in the draft, whatever the rumours say. He'll try to maximise the value of this pick because he has the other team right where he wants them.

#1 for #3, Sac 19 and the better of the Phi/Lal 18 pick would be what I hope for. Perhaps we send back the Lac 19 pick to even it out.

There is also the Nets 18 to consider. Very important draft for us and Philly happens to be the closest rival to Brooklyn, playing them 4 times. I'm sure that has entered Danny's mind in all this as an added benefit.

« Reply #455 on: June 17, 2017, 06:28:29 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Jj all the way!!!!!!! 

« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
As I said in the other thread, #1 for Butler (would go as #3 and LAL '18) is a bummer, but I suppose acceptable depending on what happens next.   #1 plus Nets '18 (#3, LAL '18 and Nets '18) for Butler is an overpay that would make me cry.

« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As I said in the other thread, #1 for Butler (would go as #3 and LAL '18) is a bummer, but I suppose acceptable depending on what happens next.   #1 plus Nets '18 (#3, LAL '18 and Nets '18) for Butler is an overpay that would make me cry.
The latter trade would break my heart. Surely DA isn't that shortsighted.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
My gut feeling is Danny will trade Fultz. Danny almost always prefers athletic, defensive-minded mediocre shooters to good shooters. This type of trade would be more of the same. If this trade happens Isaiah will once again shoulder the team's shooting load. Time to get another scorer. Look at the Warriors... shooting is what wins games.

Danny don't make this trade. You've already helped Cleveland win a Championship. Don't help Philly do the same. 

« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2017, 07:38:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My gut feeling is Danny will trade Fultz. Danny almost always prefers athletic, defensive-minded mediocre shooters to good shooters. This type of trade would be more of the same. If this trade happens Isaiah will once again shoulder the team's shooting load. Time to get another scorer. Look at the Warriors... shooting is what wins games.

Danny don't make this trade. You've already helped Cleveland win a Championship. Don't help Philly do the same.
On the money. Grit and grind only gets you so far, as the 2010- Memphis team has shown.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2017, 07:40:47 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Youtube is your friend and you can find tons of videos of their game play.

I know, man. But I want to watch them play in actual games, not just highlights or samples. I'll watch summer league as always, so by then I'll have an opinion.

« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Bullsh*t

per several league sources

« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Don't worry, it wont be long before all the analysts say how foolish we were to trade away the #1 pick.

« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
The thing that makes me hesitant about this trade, is look back at the last few drafts; hypothetically dropping back from 1 to 3 is typically a major disaster. If Ainge does this, he is banking on his being a way better talent evaluator that the rest of the league; the history of general consensus #1 picks is pretty darn good, way better than any other draft spot, even #2.

I still think no one on our roster is good enough to justify altering your draft strategy to accommodate position, or avoiding roster crunch.

Fultz probably isn't Jordan, but think Portland regrets taking Bowie because they were "all set" at SG with Drexler? Drexler and Jordan couldn't have figured out how to make it work?

Looking at it, talent and potential-wise, Fultz just looks a step above the rest. Prior to having the number 1 pick, I'd have been happy to add any of them; but now we have the chance to add a potential roster anchor/cornerstone.

I also can't shake this part from his draftexpress profile, especially when you are actually debating between him and Fultz:
With that said, his small hands, 6'10 wingspan and narrow 207 pound frame may limit his effectiveness playing the small-ball power forward role he was so successful filling in college, and the fact that he's an older freshman at 20 years old makes you wonder how much more strength his frame will carry down the line.   - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/ ©DraftExpress

He is more than a year older than Fultz, and they have the same wingspan!

« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
The thing that makes me hesitant about this trade, is look back at the last few drafts; hypothetically dropping back from 1 to 3 is typically a major disaster. If Ainge does this, he is banking on his being a way better talent evaluator that the rest of the league; the history of general consensus #1 picks is pretty darn good, way better than any other draft spot, even #2.

I still think no one on our roster is good enough to justify altering your draft strategy to accommodate position, or avoiding roster crunch.

Fultz probably isn't Jordan, but think Portland regrets taking Bowie because they were "all set" at SG with Drexler? Drexler and Jordan couldn't have figured out how to make it work?

Looking at it, talent and potential-wise, Fultz just looks a step above the rest. Prior to having the number 1 pick, I'd have been happy to add any of them; but now we have the chance to add a potential roster anchor/cornerstone.

I also can't shake this part from his draftexpress profile, especially when you are actually debating between him and Fultz:
With that said, his small hands, 6'10 wingspan and narrow 207 pound frame may limit his effectiveness playing the small-ball power forward role he was so successful filling in college, and the fact that he's an older freshman at 20 years old makes you wonder how much more strength his frame will carry down the line.   - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/ ©DraftExpress

He is more than a year older than Fultz, and they have the same wingspan!

I cant imagine Ainge going away from the player with NBA ready size, based on recent draft history. Ever since Marcus Smart, Ainge has been drafting players with muscle. Jackson and Ball are both frail, unlike Fultz.