Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107491 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #330 on: June 16, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Think of how good Fultz is!

Philly is willing to part with all these picks for him.  They would be happy to give up all those assets for him, because they feel he is that special!  If Fultz and Jackson are "so close" talent wise, why doesn't Philly just draft Jackson and keep all those picks? 

Oh, it's because Philly realizes an offensive talent with a wide range of tools is harder to come by than another MKG/Winslow/Stanley Johnson/Iguadola etc.  you can find those guys multiple times over in every draft.

Precisely.
We don't know what the parameters of the trade are but there is a much higher chance of Ainge fleecing Colangelo than the reverse.  If it really is the #3, Lakers 2018 and Kings 2019, Colangelo is making a heck of a gamble on Embiid's health and the potential of Simmons and Fultz.

All picks/transactions are a gamble.  But even Colangelo understands, at some point u need to cash in.  I wouldn't bet on Colangelo getting fleeced.  Does quality over quantity = Fleecing?
Who says it is quality over quantity?  If it is really those 3 picks, I'd say it is 3 chances at quality versus 1 chance at quality.  Way too many people on here went way overboard projecting Fultz as a transcendent player.  I think there is a good chance Fultz upside is Irving.  Not bad but not transcendent or even a #1 star on a championship team. 

You don't need to cash in when your two young stars have only played 31 games total.  If Embiid can't stay healthy, not having that Lakers pick to get one of the good bigs next draft is going to hurt.  I think Colangelo is getting antsy to put his stamp on the Sixers team.

So what happens when we end up getting a middle of the first round pick (when Philly makes the playoffs next year) and a #6 pick? 

« Reply #331 on: June 16, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/875869250598182914

makes no sense

Why go through all this hassle when the Celtics could trade the #1 pick for Butler

Number 1 pick is too much for Butler. Celtics would keep 3 in this draft and trade different draft capitol and probably Jae Crowder to the Bulls for Butler.

Philly: 1st pick
Bulls: Jae, Okafor, 2018 Lakers pick, probably other picks.
Celtics: 3, Butler.

why would philly give up the #3, 2018 lakers 1st (unprotected), future 76ers 1st and okafor

too much to give up

Not if they are enamored with Fultz as much as they are. Celtics hold all the cards. If Sixers don't want to give up that package for a guy they think is a transcendent player, Celtics pick Fultz and don't think twice.

« Reply #332 on: June 16, 2017, 08:54:48 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I wonder how much input Stevens has had/is having in all of this.

Probably more than anyone is considering or imagining, which would make the situation even more intriguing.

« Reply #333 on: June 16, 2017, 08:56:02 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I wonder how much input Stevens has had/is having in all of this?

Probably more than anyone is considering or imagining, which would make the situation even more intriguing.

Jackson is definitely much more of a Stevens kind of player. He can guard 1-4 on defense, Brad gets a Stevens in his pants just thinking of that versatility.

« Reply #334 on: June 16, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why trade a bunch of good picks for Butler and have no cap space? Yuck!

If you tell me we are getting Butler and Saric for the #1 I could deal with that. Not excited personally rather have Hayward and Fultz.

« Reply #335 on: June 16, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zach Lowe joins ESPN to discuss this potential deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75FCuzEzTO0

« Reply #336 on: June 16, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum

Jackson is definitely much more of a Stevens kind of player. He can guard 1-4 on defense, Brad gets a Stevens in his pants just thinking of that versatility.

BUT WE CANNOT SCORE!!  I'm so tired of these defensive studs with versatility.  When we need a bucket, who else besides IT can get one?

« Reply #337 on: June 16, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

but there is no guareetee we can pick Jackson ....right ?

Fultz isnthe sure thing , why screw it up?

« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I wonder how much input Stevens has had/is having in all of this.

The Celtics definitely use a consensus approach in making decisions.  Danny has the final say, but Stevens, as well as other front office types, and maybe even ownership to some extent, give input.  And if there is significant disagreement, they don't pursue it, as was the case with Cousins.

« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2017, 08:59:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

BUT WE CANNOT SCORE!!  I'm so tired of these defensive studs with versatility.  When we need a bucket, who else besides IT can get one?

Hayward or maybe Griffin

if not Hayward... i can see Danny signing Dion Waiters

« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Bingo.
Scorers win championships.

« Reply #341 on: June 16, 2017, 09:00:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

but there is no guareetee we can pick Jackson ....right ?

Fultz isnthe sure thing , why screw it up?

yes he isnt a sure thing

« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum

Hayward or maybe Griffin

Hayward, Brown and Jackson?  Waiters? Haha, I needed a laugh

« Reply #343 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

Hayward or maybe Griffin

Hayward, Brown and Jackson?  Waiters? Haha, I needed a laugh

Im triggered.

« Reply #344 on: June 16, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Think of how good Fultz is!

Philly is willing to part with all these picks for him.  They would be happy to give up all those assets for him, because they feel he is that special!  If Fultz and Jackson are "so close" talent wise, why doesn't Philly just draft Jackson and keep all those picks? 

Oh, it's because Philly realizes an offensive talent with a wide range of tools is harder to come by than another MKG/Winslow/Stanley Johnson/Iguadola etc.  you can find those guys multiple times over in every draft.

Precisely.
We don't know what the parameters of the trade are but there is a much higher chance of Ainge fleecing Colangelo than the reverse.  If it really is the #3, Lakers 2018 and Kings 2019, Colangelo is making a heck of a gamble on Embiid's health and the potential of Simmons and Fultz.

All picks/transactions are a gamble.  But even Colangelo understands, at some point u need to cash in.  I wouldn't bet on Colangelo getting fleeced.  Does quality over quantity = Fleecing?
Who says it is quality over quantity?  If it is really those 3 picks, I'd say it is 3 chances at quality versus 1 chance at quality.  Way too many people on here went way overboard projecting Fultz as a transcendent player.  I think there is a good chance Fultz upside is Irving.  Not bad but not transcendent or even a #1 star on a championship team. 

You don't need to cash in when your two young stars have only played 31 games total.  If Embiid can't stay healthy, not having that Lakers pick to get one of the good bigs next draft is going to hurt.  I think Colangelo is getting antsy to put his stamp on the Sixers team.

So what happens when we end up getting a middle of the first round pick (when Philly makes the playoffs next year) and a #6 pick?
I said, and all the discussion has been about, the Lakers 2018 pick not the Sixers 2018 pick so it wouldn't matter whether the Sixers made the playoffs or not.  I'd actually expect Ainge to make it the better of the Lakers 2018 and Sixers 2018. 

The primo deal would be:  #3, better of Lakers/Sixers 2018 and better of Kings/Sixers 2019. 

That covers us if the Sixers miss the playoffs but get lucky in the lottery.