Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107494 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #315 on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:59 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
18 pages later and I'm pretty sure the people attached to Fultz and upset would've been just as attached to Joe Barry Carroll, i.e., they've completely sold themselves on the Fultz groupthink and can't rearrange their heads to ponder other possibilities.

I second this sentiment.

I don't necessarily think this is exactly it.  We as fans only can go off of opinions of experts and what we see if we watch a player.  If there is a consensus among the experts most fans formulate their opinion based off of these opinions.  I watch college hoops and have seen all of the top picks play.  It's been limited exposure but I really like Fultz and think he looked the best out of them all.  I liked Jackson but I just don't see him as a lights out shooter.  You need shooters in this league.  You can't build a team of players that can play defense but not offense.  Good O will always beat good D in the NBA.   With that being said when the consensus is that Fultz is #1 and there is a drop off to the other talent we as fans get upset when our team passes on that talent when it's a rarity that they even have a chance at that talent. 

« Reply #316 on: June 16, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
They have to get Simmons or at least Saric in the deal. More draft picks just doesn't excite me and I don't want to draft another guy that can't shoot!! Not really liking anything I'm hearing at this point. Getting more cap space can be done in other ways add to that getting Hayward of Griffin could make us a top 3 team but unlikely a championship team.
We don't need any actual salary back if the point is making space for a max FA. The point may be to get high value future picks that would reduce our payroll and cap holds before the free agency period. It really would be tragic though if we walk away empty handed from the FA period.

While the #1 pick in the draft this year obviously is much more valuable than trading for lottery picks (we should avoid mixing and matching "#1" in draft with with "LA's #1"as it gives the false impression that those two assets have similar values.

I understand we don't need salary back but we do need big men and someone that can score. Philly has a stack of big men they could give us one and take back some players like Rozier, Mickey ...

I want something lol!!!

« Reply #317 on: June 16, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Fultz all the way.
He will be an all star point guard.

« Reply #318 on: June 16, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Talks are reportedly far enough along that Fultz could meet with the Sixers in Philadelphia on Saturday, according to the report. A source said he was supposed to have a second meeting with the Celtics on Saturday. However, the source said that meeting was canceled.
[/size]

Perfect. Get the Sixers excited and pull plug at last minute when Magic offers an insanse deal with actually players.
Fultz is reportedly still on to meet with Boston tomorrow.

this is all very confusing.

Link?

« Reply #319 on: June 16, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
"Serious Talks" may just mean that the C's have put an offer on the table (undoubtedly well in the C's favor) that the Sixers are considering countering.  Before Colangelo puts a #3 and a future probable top 5 pick on the table he needs to see Fultz. You don't offer that price without checking Fultz out thoroughly.  But the C's then have the opportunity to counter again or walk away if the Sixers don't offer enough.

This is playing out as good as it possibly can.   Had the C's got the #2 or #3, we'd be talking about who we'd trade to get to #1, or, we'd be talking about packaging 2018 Nets pick.  We are in position to either get the best player in the draft -- if Danny thinks Fultz is the best, or, trade for someone Ainge thinks is just as good as Fultz PLUS other assets. AND, the assets gained may be enough to trade for a star without losing Nets '18.

I rarely say this, but.... it's all good.   

« Reply #320 on: June 16, 2017, 08:42:34 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would so much rather have an elite pick and roll scorer type prospect than a guy who projects as a kind of Gerald Wallace / Joe Johnson / Andre Iguodala type player.

Look, if we were sitting at #3 after the lottery I'd be all about Josh Jackson.

Fultz is a better prospect. 

I know we already have a great lead scoring guard in Thomas, but he won't last forever.  To me the value of a prospect like Fultz is exponentially higher than a guy like Jackson.

The chances of him becoming another tweener who can't shoot (e.g. MKG, Winslow, Johnson, etc) seem a lot higher than the chance he becomes Kawhi Leonard.
If it helps, think of Jackson as a Paul Pierce type.  And Fultz as CJ McCollum.  That's in play.

I think in today's league the McCollum type prospect is more valuable.
Than Paul Pierce?!  Crazy talk. All this offensive hoopla, 3 point shooting stuff has gone too far.  Paul Pierce. The Truth.  Elite 2-way wing, NBA finals MVP. Like Kawhi, Lebron, iguodala, Kobe, Durant.  6'4" scorers are much easier to find.

Look, I love Paul Pierce.  Love him.

But it's a pick and roll league now.

Pierce was best as an iso scorer, though he developed as a playmaker and defender later in his career.

If we're talking in a vacuum, I'll take the potential elite pick and roll scorer with a nice jumper over the big wing with iso / playmaker potential.

Again, chances are Jackson does not turn into Kawhi Leonard or anything like it.  More likely he's Harrison Barnes, or maybe Andre Iguodala.

It's so much easier to "make it" as a pick and roll scorer with nice handles and a good jumper than to be the swiss army knife freak athlete.

Now you'd be happy with a player who just "makes it"?  Maybe you mean something different by that phrase than how I'm interpreting it.

When I say "makes it" in this context, I mean "becomes a star like you'd expect from a top pick"

That's an interesting take.  I'm not sure I'd agree that more players have "made it" in recent drafts as pick and roll guards than as two way, versatile, scoring forwards. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:35:54 PM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #322 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:02 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Anybody else getting that SMF error when trying to move around in this thread?

Mike

« Reply #323 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/875869250598182914

makes no sense

Why go through all this hassle when the Celtics could trade the #1 pick for Butler

« Reply #324 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #325 on: June 16, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

FYI, this is what it says:

Hearing this could wind up being a 3-team trade between Philadelphia-Boston-Chicago including Butler, Okafor and lots of picks

76ers beat writer just also tweeted about them still being in deep discussions. I also read that Saric might now be in the deal somehow, which might go along with the Chicago Bulls being entered into the trade now.

« Reply #326 on: June 16, 2017, 08:48:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
im standing on a very tall bridge

« Reply #327 on: June 16, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100

makes no sense

Why go through all this hassle when the Celtics could trade the #1 pick for Butler

Number 1 pick is too much for Butler. Celtics would keep 3 in this draft and trade different draft capitol and probably Jae Crowder to the Bulls for Butler.

Philly: 1st pick
Bulls: Jae, Okafor, 2018 Lakers pick, probably other picks.
Celtics: 3, Butler.

« Reply #328 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
im standing on a very tall bridge

to do what?? come down man...   the #3 will be good.

« Reply #329 on: June 16, 2017, 08:51:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

makes no sense

Number 1 pick is too much for Butler. Celtics would keep 3 in this draft and trade different draft capitol and probably Jae Crowder to the Bulls for Butler.

Philly: 1st pick
Bulls: Jae, Okafor, 2018 Lakers pick, probably other picks.
Celtics: 3, Butler.

why would philly give up the #3, 2018 lakers 1st (unprotected), future 76ers 1st and okafor

too much to give up