Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107503 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #300 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Talks are reportedly far enough along that Fultz could meet with the Sixers in Philadelphia on Saturday, according to the report. A source said he was supposed to have a second meeting with the Celtics on Saturday. However, the source said that meeting was canceled.
[/size]

Perfect. Get the Sixers excited and pull plug at last minute when Magic offers an insanse deal with actually players.
Fultz is reportedly still on to meet with Boston tomorrow.

this is all very confusing.

As I posted above from philly.com

Celtics have cancelled tomorrows meeting with Markelle

« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2017, 08:25:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would so much rather have an elite pick and roll scorer type prospect than a guy who projects as a kind of Gerald Wallace / Joe Johnson / Andre Iguodala type player.

Look, if we were sitting at #3 after the lottery I'd be all about Josh Jackson.

Fultz is a better prospect. 

I know we already have a great lead scoring guard in Thomas, but he won't last forever.  To me the value of a prospect like Fultz is exponentially higher than a guy like Jackson.

The chances of him becoming another tweener who can't shoot (e.g. MKG, Winslow, Johnson, etc) seem a lot higher than the chance he becomes Kawhi Leonard.
If it helps, think of Jackson as a Paul Pierce type.  And Fultz as CJ McCollum.  That's in play.

I think in today's league the McCollum type prospect is more valuable.
Than Paul Pierce?!  Crazy talk. All this offensive hoopla, 3 point shooting stuff has gone too far.  Paul Pierce. The Truth.  Elite 2-way wing, NBA finals MVP. Like Kawhi, Lebron, iguodala, Kobe, Durant.  6'4" scorers are much easier to find.

Look, I love Paul Pierce.  Love him.

But it's a pick and roll league now.

Pierce was best as an iso scorer, though he developed as a playmaker and defender later in his career.

If we're talking in a vacuum, I'll take the potential elite pick and roll scorer with a nice jumper over the big wing with iso / playmaker potential.

Again, chances are Jackson does not turn into Kawhi Leonard or anything like it.  More likely he's Harrison Barnes, or maybe Andre Iguodala.

It's so much easier to "make it" as a pick and roll scorer with nice handles and a good jumper than to be the swiss army knife freak athlete.

Now you'd be happy with a player who just "makes it"?  Maybe you mean something different by that phrase than how I'm interpreting it.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #302 on: June 16, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
They have to get Simmons or at least Saric in the deal. More draft picks just doesn't excite me and I don't want to draft another guy that can't shoot!! Not really liking anything I'm hearing at this point. Getting more cap space can be done in other ways add to that getting Hayward of Griffin could make us a top 3 team but unlikely a championship team.
We don't need any actual salary back if the point is making space for a max FA. The point may be to get high value future picks that would reduce our payroll and cap holds before the free agency period. It really would be tragic though if we walk away empty handed from the FA period.

While the #1 pick in the draft this year obviously is much more valuable than trading for lottery picks (we should avoid mixing and matching "#1" in draft with with "LA's #1"as it gives the false impression that those two assets have similar values.

« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
This deal looks like as good as a sure thing and done like Arod to the Sox many years ago.! Leak its done and watch other's offer more and more. Wouldnt shock me to see Lakers deal with Danny. And send us Ingram and the 2 for the 1. If Danny truly does not want Fultz and we know Lakers do, he gets his man at 2. If the Sixers want Fultz so bad, they need to up deal to not just picks but one of Simmons and pick or Saric and picks....Danny is one person I would never want at my poker table.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  Throw in Nance and I'd have to think very hard about it

That'd leave you with Brown, Ingram, Jackson, and Nance, and we're also wanting to sign Hayward this summer. I know you need several athletic, two-way wings/swings/forwards in the modern NBA, but come on lol

I still say the Simmons + #3 for #1 and AB deal makes too much sense for both teams.
Philly doesnt do that tho.

They should. Fultz and AB is an absolute perfect duo in the backcourt for Philly. It also makes them fit much better together than they currently do. I don't care how much they try and push it, Simmons is NOT a "point guard," and more than likely Fultz and Ball will go 1 and 2, leaving them without any decent guards yet again. I also think it's highly unlikely that all three of Simmons, Saric, and Embiid will be able to play together full-time.

A lineup of Fultz, AB, Covington, Saric, and Embiid, let alone who they add the next two years with the Lakers and Kings picks, is a much better overall fit than Jackson, Covington, Simmons, Saric, and Embiid.

« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Talks are reportedly far enough along that Fultz could meet with the Sixers in Philadelphia on Saturday, according to the report. A source said he was supposed to have a second meeting with the Celtics on Saturday. However, the source said that meeting was canceled.
[/size]

Perfect. Get the Sixers excited and pull plug at last minute when Magic offers an insanse deal with actually players.

Where are you seeing this at?

« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
[/size]

Perfect. Get the Sixers excited and pull plug at last minute when Magic offers an insanse deal with actual players.
Why would we want LA's players? They aren't good enough to justify losing the cap space and not being able to offer a max contract to a FA. Philly's picks help us defer the cap hit.

« Reply #306 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Think of how good Fultz is!

Philly is willing to part with all these picks for him.  They would be happy to give up all those assets for him, because they feel he is that special!  If Fultz and Jackson are "so close" talent wise, why doesn't Philly just draft Jackson and keep all those picks? 

Oh, it's because Philly realizes an offensive talent with a wide range of tools is harder to come by than another MKG/Winslow/Stanley Johnson/Iguadola etc.  you can find those guys multiple times over in every draft.

Precisely.
We don't know what the parameters of the trade are but there is a much higher chance of Ainge fleecing Colangelo than the reverse.  If it really is the #3, Lakers 2018 and Kings 2019, Colangelo is making a heck of a gamble on Embiid's health and the potential of Simmons and Fultz.

All picks/transactions are a gamble.  But even Colangelo understands, at some point u need to cash in.  I wouldn't bet on Colangelo getting fleeced.  Does quality over quantity = Fleecing?
Who says it is quality over quantity?  If it is really those 3 picks, I'd say it is 3 chances at quality versus 1 chance at quality.  Way too many people on here went way overboard projecting Fultz as a transcendent player.  I think there is a good chance Fultz upside is Irving.  Not bad but not transcendent or even a #1 star on a championship team. 

You don't need to cash in when your two young stars have only played 31 games total.  If Embiid can't stay healthy, not having that Lakers pick to get one of the good bigs next draft is going to hurt.  I think Colangelo is getting antsy to put his stamp on the Sixers team.   

« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
18 pages later and I'm pretty sure the people attached to Fultz and upset would've been just as attached to Joe Barry Carroll, i.e., they've completely sold themselves on the Fultz groupthink and can't rearrange their heads to ponder other possibilities.

I second this sentiment.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #308 on: June 16, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Markelle has said he wants to go #1... Cant see him messing up meeting with the 76ers/not passing medical/physical

Celtics will have Jackson in soon for a meeting. 

« Reply #309 on: June 16, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
[/size]

Please tell us haha
#JKJB

« Reply #310 on: June 16, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
[/size]

Please tell us haha
THought Givony tweeted it, but now its seems that Danny Ainge has simply made my brain short-circuit. Im so confused.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #311 on: June 16, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would so much rather have an elite pick and roll scorer type prospect than a guy who projects as a kind of Gerald Wallace / Joe Johnson / Andre Iguodala type player.

Look, if we were sitting at #3 after the lottery I'd be all about Josh Jackson.

Fultz is a better prospect. 

I know we already have a great lead scoring guard in Thomas, but he won't last forever.  To me the value of a prospect like Fultz is exponentially higher than a guy like Jackson.

The chances of him becoming another tweener who can't shoot (e.g. MKG, Winslow, Johnson, etc) seem a lot higher than the chance he becomes Kawhi Leonard.
If it helps, think of Jackson as a Paul Pierce type.  And Fultz as CJ McCollum.  That's in play.

I think in today's league the McCollum type prospect is more valuable.
Than Paul Pierce?!  Crazy talk. All this offensive hoopla, 3 point shooting stuff has gone too far.  Paul Pierce. The Truth.  Elite 2-way wing, NBA finals MVP. Like Kawhi, Lebron, iguodala, Kobe, Durant.  6'4" scorers are much easier to find.

Look, I love Paul Pierce.  Love him.

But it's a pick and roll league now.

Pierce was best as an iso scorer, though he developed as a playmaker and defender later in his career.

If we're talking in a vacuum, I'll take the potential elite pick and roll scorer with a nice jumper over the big wing with iso / playmaker potential.

Again, chances are Jackson does not turn into Kawhi Leonard or anything like it.  More likely he's Harrison Barnes, or maybe Andre Iguodala.

It's so much easier to "make it" as a pick and roll scorer with nice handles and a good jumper than to be the swiss army knife freak athlete.

Now you'd be happy with a player who just "makes it"?  Maybe you mean something different by that phrase than how I'm interpreting it.

When I say "makes it" in this context, I mean "becomes a star like you'd expect from a top pick"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #312 on: June 16, 2017, 08:37:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
[/size]

Please tell us haha
THought Givony tweeted it, but now its seems that Danny Ainge has simply made my brain short-circuit. Im so confused.
AYYY IM NOT INSANE:

https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/875854716512686081

Jordan Schultz. Got no idea who that is, but **** it.
Edit: [dang]. https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/875859368591458304
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #313 on: June 16, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Who says it is quality over quantity?  If it is really those 3 picks, I'd say it is 3 chances at quality versus 1 chance at quality.  Way too many people on here went way overboard projecting Fultz as a transcendent player.

AMEN
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #314 on: June 16, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
The safest bet is Fultz yet Danny wants more and more picks in which he rarely hits on. I don't like this at all. If he sees Cleveland as vulnerable and this is to land Butler I still don't like it. Butler is not gonna move the needle much.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk