Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107508 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
That Lakers pick probably wont even be top 5 next season. They have no incentive to tank anymore. They could win 30+ next season.
The Nets had no incentive to tank and they still finished last.  The Lakers were the worst defensive team last season.  Lou Williams was their best player and he was traded.  Magic has said he's focused on 2018 free agency.  The Lakers are going to be bottom 5 unless Ingram makes an all time best sophomore season improvement. 

Re: C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would so much rather have an elite pick and roll scorer type prospect than a guy who projects as a kind of Gerald Wallace / Joe Johnson / Andre Iguodala type player.

Look, if we were sitting at #3 after the lottery I'd be all about Josh Jackson.

Fultz is a better prospect. 

I know we already have a great lead scoring guard in Thomas, but he won't last forever.  To me the value of a prospect like Fultz is exponentially higher than a guy like Jackson.

The chances of him becoming another tweener who can't shoot (e.g. MKG, Winslow, Johnson, etc) seem a lot higher than the chance he becomes Kawhi Leonard.
If it helps, think of Jackson as a Paul Pierce type.  And Fultz as CJ McCollum.  That's in play.

Pierce with a lesser handle and jumper. I'd rather have McCollum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2017, 07:25:36 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Guys this trade isn't for Butler. Think about what we looked like in the playoffs. We couldn't get a rebound and it was a layup drill for the Cavs.

I believe Ainge has asked the Pelicans what it would take to get Davis. If they said 3 #1s, AB, Crowder and KO...you do the deal.

If he can get Davis, that will entice either Hayward or PG13 to sign extension.

No way Ainge is making this deal to get younger. He knows we got killed on the boards and we need a shot blocker as well.
that would be amazing if true

LOL.

I respect the delusions people convince themselves of to cope. I get it.

But this is... It's like the night Demarcus got traded to New Orleans, everyone was convinced Boston was waiting in the wings to trump the offer last minute and then when it was all said and done, Boston wasn't even interested.

And by the way, remember that guy? No way the Pelicans bail on Davis before the see what Cousins and AD can do together. They played pretty well down the stretch.

You really think Ainge is taking a rookie at #3 without another move coming. He knows he needs a star and it's not just Hayward. He needed those other assets because he may not want to give up the 2018 Nets pick.

« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I would so much rather have an elite pick and roll scorer type prospect than a guy who projects as a kind of Gerald Wallace / Joe Johnson / Andre Iguodala type player.

I know we already have a great lead scoring guard in Thomas, but he won't last forever.  To me the value of a prospect like Fultz is exponentially higher than a guy like Jackson.

The chances of him becoming another tweener who can't shoot (e.g. MKG, Winslow, Johnson, etc) seem a lot higher than the chance he becomes Kawhi Leonard.
If it helps, think of Jackson as a Paul Pierce type.  And Fultz as CJ McCollum.  That's in play.

Pierce with a lesser handle and jumper.

So.... Rudy Gay?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #245 on: June 16, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

You are most likely only sure of this because you've been reading it from Chad Ford and Johnathan Givony and the rest of the "experts" for months.  This doesn't make it reality.

Some basketball observers (myself) have been saying they see more potential in Josh Jackson than anyone else in this draft for a while now.

It's nice to see that Danny Ainge may be sharing those observations and projections.

Because sure, it couldn't possibly be based on my own observations.

I guess.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #246 on: June 16, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
That Lakers pick probably wont even be top 5 next season. They have no incentive to tank anymore. They could win 30+ next season.
The Nets had no incentive to tank and they still finished last.  The Lakers were the worst defensive team last season.  Lou Williams was their best player and he was traded.  Magic has said he's focused on 2018 free agency.  The Lakers are going to be bottom 5 unless Ingram makes an all time best sophomore season improvement.

Lakers were better than the Nets. Lakers will be better next season. I see anywhere from 5-10.

« Reply #247 on: June 16, 2017, 07:29:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
As far as I can tell the 76ers own their own and the Lakers next year. The year after that they have their own and Sacramentos. I want them all. I will also send them some 2nd rounders.

« Reply #248 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Let's just keep adding defensive players who can't shoot!  And more $0.75 players instead of $1.00 players.  We have such a hard time scoring.  We have no scorers or shooters.  Unreal!

« Reply #249 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:14 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I think in today's league the McCollum type prospect is more valuable.
Than Paul Pierce?!  Crazy talk. All this offensive hoopla, 3 point shooting stuff has gone too far.  Paul Pierce. The Truth.  Elite 2-way wing, NBA finals MVP. Like Kawhi, Lebron, iguodala, Kobe, Durant.  6'4" scorers are much easier to find. 

« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:32 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Guys this trade isn't for Butler. Think about what we looked like in the playoffs. We couldn't get a rebound and it was a layup drill for the Cavs.

I believe Ainge has asked the Pelicans what it would take to get Davis. If they said 3 #1s, AB, Crowder and KO...you do the deal.

No way Ainge is making this deal to get younger. He knows we got killed on the boards and we need a shot blocker as well.

LOL.

But this is... It's like the night Demarcus got traded to New Orleans, everyone was convinced Boston was waiting in the wings to trump the offer last minute and then when it was all said and done, Boston wasn't even interested.

And by the way, remember that guy? No way the Pelicans bail on Davis before the see what Cousins and AD can do together. They played pretty well down the stretch.

You really think Ainge is taking a rookie at #3 without another move coming. He knows he needs a star and it's not just Hayward. He needed those other assets because he may not want to give up the 2018 Nets pick.

Yes.

I think when Ainge gets fixated on a player, he gets bolder. I hope there's some master plan at work here and Ainge is the puppet master, but I don't believe that's the case.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Nope.  Prime Paul Pierce is more valuable than prime CJ McCollum, regardless of era.

Are people really thinking Jackson is suddenly going to develop a shot and turn into a Paul Pierce level player? Unless he somehow develops a really reliable shot and takes that ridiculous hitch out of his shot, I don't see how he comes anywhere close to Pierce's level.

Isn't Smart a really big recent example of this fallacious notion of drafting players hoping they'll improve their shots? I still think Smart was a good pick given the options that we had at that time, but we literally have the first pick of the draft in this scenario. There's no use in gambling on something like that.

EDIT: I feel like Tatum is a much more apt Pierce comparison than Jackson.

« Reply #252 on: June 16, 2017, 07:34:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Than Paul Pierce?!  Crazy talk. All this offensive hoopla, 3 point shooting stuff has gone too far.  Paul Pierce. The Truth.  Elite 2-way wing, NBA finals MVP. Like Kawhi, Lebron, iguodala, Kobe, Durant.  6'4" scorers are much easier to find.

Look, I love Paul Pierce.  Love him.

But it's a pick and roll league now.

Pierce was best as an iso scorer, though he developed as a playmaker and defender later in his career.

If we're talking in a vacuum, I'll take the potential elite pick and roll scorer with a nice jumper over the big wing with iso / playmaker potential.

Again, chances are Jackson does not turn into Kawhi Leonard or anything like it.  More likely he's Harrison Barnes, or maybe Andre Iguodala.

It's so much easier to "make it" as a pick and roll scorer with nice handles and a good jumper than to be the swiss army knife freak athlete.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #253 on: June 16, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919

LOL.

Yes.

I think when Ainge gets fixated on a player, he gets bolder. I hope there's some master plan at work here and Ainge is the puppet master, but I don't believe that's the case.

I don't think this is a Winslow type situation. We were trading up then, and it's easier to get stupid with a player in that direction.

Mike

« Reply #254 on: June 16, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the idea is that the Lakers are gonna take Fox or Jackson at #2 and the Celts will take Lonzo Ball at #3, I could talk myself into it.

I think Fultz is a much higher floor and higher ceiling prospect, but Lonzo Ball is fun and interesting, at least, and some people have made coherent arguments for why he might be the best prospect in this draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain