Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 107496 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
If this trade goes through, whoever the Celtics take on draft night will get the living **** booed out of him. I feel awful for Josh Jackson if thats the case.

Same thing happened to Jaylen (except by me) last year.  That turned out just fine.

« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Ugh freaking Lowe now saying the principal pieces are in play and he'd be surprised if it doesn't get done at this point...

Why is this "UGH?"  I get being excited about Fultz and having the #1 pick but acting like this isn't a power move by the Celtics is kind of weird.  They are in the driver's seat.

Because we've long been longing for the type of high-level talent that Fultz represents. Making this trade means taking a lesser talent in this draft all for the price of future picks that may or may not be as good as this pick.

As the last several years have shown, with Boston in particular, quality, not quantity, wins in the NBA.

I don't think Danny would do this if he didn't think the player he is getting back (hopefully Jackson) has a good shot of being the best player from the draft.
No, Ainge won't have a good shot to get the best player, he's in process of forfeiting that right for a role player and a future pick that very well may be nothing more than yet another role player.

If Ainge was just going to p--- away the pick like this, I wish he'd have traded it for Butler instead.

I'll be on the 'fire Ainge' bandwagon until he's fired or I'm dead.

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Ugh freaking Lowe now saying the principal pieces are in play and he'd be surprised if it doesn't get done at this point...

Why is this "UGH?"  I get being excited about Fultz and having the #1 pick but acting like this isn't a power move by the Celtics is kind of weird.  They are in the driver's seat.

Because we've long been longing for the type of high-level talent that Fultz represents. Making this trade means taking a lesser talent in this draft all for the price of future picks that may or may not be as good as this pick.

As the last several years have shown, with Boston in particular, quality, not quantity, wins in the NBA.

I don't think Danny would do this if he didn't think the player he is getting back (hopefully Jackson) has a good shot of being the best player from the draft.

I truly do not get all of this Jackson love on here. He seems like a bigger, bit more well-rounded version of Marcus Smart to me, only with less defense and more athleticism and size/length. I don't see him ever being even a secondary scorer in the NBA. He's also really similar to Brown in a lot of ways, so why would we want Jackson, too?

I just don't see him as the type of player that this team needs going forward.

I see a top level athlete who plays strong defense and is very versatile.  Everybody sees that.  I also see a guy who, in my estimation, projects to be a lot better lead--or at least secondary--ball handler than he is given credit for.

He looks smooth with the ball in his hands.  He looks like the type of player who can get to where he wants on the floor easily.  He's got good vision, good handles, and a nice mid range game.

I don't think he got to showcase all his skills at Kansas, but I think he has top level NBA small forward talent.

Time will tell.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

No, Ainge won't have a good shot to get the best player, he's in process of forfeiting that right for a role player and a future pick that very well may be nothing more than yet another role player.

If Ainge was just going to p--- away the pick like this, I wish he'd have traded it for Butler instead.

I'll be on the 'fire Ainge' bandwagon until he's fired or I'm dead.
Nah, if you can get Lakes pick and #3 the odds that you end up with the best player arent too bad.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
With this type of deal it does allow the C's to be sort of relevant now and build for the future.  They free up the space needed for a max player.  Possibly already have a verbal commitment through back channels?  Then they may have another deal on the table for #3 and players?

It's tough because the team has to stink to get lucky to win the lottery and draft a franchise player.  The celtics made it to the ECF and have that chance but are thinking about trading it for a potential borderline all star potential and future picks that may or may not be top 4 picks.  I just don't understand what he doesn't see in Fultz to make him untouchable.  From everything I've read he should be. 

« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
So all these teams want Fultz yet the C's want to trade him? I have no problems with Jackson but I'd rather just roll with Fultz. Trader Danny in full affect tho.

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
If this trade goes through, whoever the Celtics take on draft night will get the living **** booed out of him. I feel awful for Josh Jackson if thats the case.

Same thing happened to Jaylen (except by me) last year.  That turned out just fine.

LOVED the Jaylen pick, and felt high on him, so I didn't boo last year.

I'll be booing this year if they trade #1/Fultz.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2017, 06:56:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
With this type of deal it does allow the C's to be sort of relevant now and build for the future. 

THEY ALREADY HAVE THAT WITHOUT MAKING A MOVE.

You have Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Horford.  That team is now.

You have Smart, Fultz, Brown, etc.

That's the future.

Why make this move?  Fultz is a great prospect.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I truly do not get all of this Jackson love on here. He seems like a bigger, bit more well-rounded version of Marcus Smart to me, only with less defense and more athleticism and size/length. I don't see him ever being even a secondary scorer in the NBA. He's also really similar to Brown in a lot of ways, so why would we want Jackson, too?

I see a top level athlete who plays strong defense and is very versatile.  Everybody sees that.  I also see a guy who, in my estimation, projects to be a lot better lead--or at least secondary--ball handler than he is given credit for.

He looks smooth with the ball in his hands.  He looks like the type of player who can get to where he wants on the floor easily.  He's got good vision, good handles, and a nice mid range game.

I don't think he got to showcase all his skills at Kansas, but I think he has top level NBA small forward talent.

Time will tell.

I see another Justise Winslow / Stanley Johnson etc.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2017, 06:57:36 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Prior to the college season Jackson was probably the highest rated player in the US.  You could argue that if he had shot better from the FT line and didn't kick a girls car door in he would be neck and neck with Fultz.

Again, if Danny sees both of these guys as similar players (All-Star potential, but not 1st team All NBA) then it makes all the sense in the world to trade down.  He can get 2-3 more unprotected 1sts!

« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
If Jackson is their man they have to be 100% sure LA is taking Ball.

If the Lakers take Jackson I am sure the Celtics have plans to trade down again to 4 or 5 because I just can't see them taking Lonzo or Fox. I know, BPA and all that but at some point if you have too much of a logjam no team is going to give you fair value in a trade because they know you have to make a deal. I mean, I suppose Lonzo can play one of the guard spots but then that means Bradley is gone, right?

That means they'd probably be looking at Tatum or Isaac? I'm confused...

« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2017, 07:00:57 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Wouldn't it be wrong if Ainge did NOT explore what he could get for the pick?  It's due diligence.  The report that the Lakers are in love with Fultz just strengthens Ainge's justification for a big return.  If Ainge has a likely superstar on his hands in Fultz he won't trade him unless he knows he's getting a superstar back (maybe not on the initial deal, but in a subsequent one based on the additional assets). 

With the hype that Fultz is getting it scares me to lose him, but what the heck do I know?  I rely on highlights, talking heads and a basketball brain 1/20th the size of Danny's (a generous self-assessment). 

« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Time will tell.

I see another Justise Winslow / Stanley Johnson etc.

Doesn't matter what either you or I think.  It's about what Danny thinks.  I think he likes the same guy I like, because he's really smart about basketball.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Wouldn't it be wrong if Ainge did NOT explore what he could get for the pick?  It's due diligence.  The report that the Lakers are in love with Fultz just strengthens Ainge's justification for a big return.  If Ainge has a likely superstar on his hands in Fultz he won't trade him unless he knows he's getting a superstar back (maybe not on the initial deal, but in a subsequent one based on the additional assets). 

With the hype that Fultz is getting it scares me to lose him, but what the heck do I know?  I rely on highlights, talking heads and a basketball brain 1/20th the size of Danny's (a generous self-assessment).
this isnt due diligence. Zach Lowe is reporting its basically a done deal.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Prior to the college season Jackson was probably the highest rated player in the US.  You could argue that if he had shot better from the FT line and didn't kick a girls car door in he would be neck and neck with Fultz.

Again, if Danny sees both of these guys as similar players (All-Star potential, but not 1st team All NBA) then it makes all the sense in the world to trade down.  He can get 2-3 more unprotected 1sts!

I mean, I understand the logic, sort of. If he wasn't going to pick Fultz anyways, then he might as well get more assets out of the deal.

I guess I just disagree with it. I think Fultz is quite significantly a better prospect than the other prospects, similar to how Simmons was last year with the other prospects.