9 (39.1%)
Only Agree About CBS & Timeouts
2 (8.7%)
Only Agree About Being Consistent And Holding Leads Better
3 (13%)
No. Don't Agree With Any Of Them. They Aren't Real Concerning Issues
9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Two Nagging Issues - CBS & Timeouts + Holding Double-Digit Leads  (Read 6260 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
First off, FANTASTIC WIN! Amazing game to watch and my heart was pounding all the way to the end. IMO that was one of our best wins of the season and a complete game by almost everyone (minus Hayward, but that's okay). Loved the intensity and confidence these guys had on both ends of the floor especially the last 10 minutes of the whole game (4th and OT combined).

With that said, there were two main things that I didn’t like in what was a fun and great game, and they are also issues we’ve dealt with for a while now (even dating back to last season)

1. CBS & Timeouts: Notice how Brett Brown calls a timeout after the C’s scored 4 quick points to turn a 59-59 tie game into 63-59 C’s lead, but if this were Stevens he’d let the other team balloon it’s run to something like 10-0 or 13-2 before calling one. Even during the game, a 79-68 deficit turned into 81-81 pretty quick and CBS needed to call a timeout earlier to stem their run and try something different after the TO. I love CBS and he's a phenomenal coach, but this is one aspect of his coaching I want to see improve. And talking about leads/deficits...

2. Holding Leads Better: C’s are up 73-63 in the 3rd, then again up 79-68. Pretty much 3 minutes later PHI ties it, and then mid-way through the 4th PHI is up 98-91. Yes, great comeback today and they tend to do it a lot, but I want to see more consistency out of this team. Basketball is a game of runs, I get it, but losing 10+ point leads that quick should not happen and if we want to be a contender, we need to start being more consistent and playing a full 48-minutes, period. Can't get too cute and also can't start throwing up hero shots in the middle of a game with a lot of time still left. Those things can easily cause a team to lose a big lead fairly quick.

With that said though, we're figuring it out and it looks like the Players Only meeting really rejuvenated this squad. Hayward clearly is still a ways away, but I think once we get healthier + Hayward becomes more confident mentally, we'll be on a roll from February-March onwards!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Two Nagging Issues - CBS & Timeouts + Holding Double-Digit Leads
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 08:53:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think not being able to hold big leads is a symptom of CBS’ poor timeout calling, in addition to our still developing chemistry.

CBS timeout calling is what really does my head in. Always makes it closer than it should be
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:15:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I kinda agree with both but not in a black and white manner. There's a lot of grey here. Yes, the C's give up double digit leads in a bunch of games, but so does every team. Watch around the league. Seeing 10-15 point leads evaporate in a few minutes is extremely common. And, yes many times Steven's waits to long to stop a run by the other team with a timeout, but I have seen fans complaining about that when the TV timeout is just one minute away or for Stevens to do it early in the game, which really, 9 times out of ten, just isn't necessary early in games, just no need to waste timeouts you may desperately need later in the game.

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 09:18:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Looked at LibertyBallers see a lot complain about Brown being outcoached by Stevens. Checked in on Celticsblog and saw fans prefer Brett Brown, as the winning team mind you.

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 10:02:23 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I kinda agree with both but not in a black and white manner. There's a lot of grey here. Yes, the C's give up double digit leads in a bunch of games, but so does every team. Watch around the league. Seeing 10-15 point leads evaporate in a few minutes is extremely common. And, yes many times Steven's waits to long to stop a run by the other team with a timeout, but I have seen fans complaining about that when the TV timeout is just one minute away or for Stevens to do it early in the game, which really, 9 times out of ten, just isn't necessary early in games, just no need to waste timeouts you may desperately need later in the game.

This season it's especially impossible to hold big leagues with all the new rules.

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 10:17:52 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
The timeouts don't bother me as much as seeing these guys continuously throwing up bricks that leave teams hanging around. The games where they consistently make shots are almost always blowouts.

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I think not being able to hold big leads is a symptom of CBS’ poor timeout calling, in addition to our still developing chemistry.

CBS timeout calling is what really does my head in. Always makes it closer than it should be

Yeah it's like he waits for the other team to actually tie it up or go ahead before deciding to call it. Can be infuriating at times.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Come on, double digit leads are virtually meaningless in the NBA.  These guys are so good.  As has been said thousands of times, the NBA is a game of runs.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 11:48:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jaylen Brown was a minus 14 and Horford missed 5 threes.

It's not Brad's timeouts. lol

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 01:52:06 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Come on, double digit leads are virtually meaningless in the NBA.  These guys are so good.  As has been said thousands of times, the NBA is a game of runs.

they only tend to lose the double digit lead whenever Kyrie sits. somethings not right about the Rozier/Brown/Hayward combo of the second unit that even injecting Morris with that unit didn't help.

Brown needs to get his shot back and Hayward should be the Kyrie of the second unit...just attack,attack,attack the basket..he becomes useless when he stands in the corner and starts counting his max money Danny gave him. Sometimes I think he is just disinterested he just wants to be home to play his video games.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 03:05:33 AM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

they only tend to lose the double digit lead whenever Kyrie sits. somethings not right about the Rozier/Brown/Hayward combo of the second unit that even injecting Morris with that unit didn't help.

Brown needs to get his shot back and Hayward should be the Kyrie of the second unit...just attack,attack,attack the basket..he becomes useless when he stands in the corner and starts counting his max money Danny gave him. Sometimes I think he is just disinterested he just wants to be home to play his video games.

Let me tell you Hayward hopefuls something.

Hayward sucks and he is no Kyrie of any unit.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 03:13:43 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Let me tell you Hayward hopefuls something.

Hayward sucks and he is no Kyrie of any unit.
I wish I was privy to all this definitive knowledge just like you
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I think Hayward has gone even more gun shy after these meetings. He's in a tough place- some of his younger teammates arent playing well and he somewhat feels guilty, he is not playing well but he knows he needs minutes but does not want to cause more trouble. Then you add the fact he isn't where he wanted to be yet and unsure if he would ever get to that level and it certainly doesnt help that so-called fans are petty and not being supportive.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 06:38:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
You would expect lead changes even and big runs when you have two good teams which are evenly matched. We would all love it if they blew out every team by 30 but like everyone else in the NBA they make mistakes and the other team capitalizes. I’m less worried about losing leads as long as they respond the right way on both ends and recover them. When we lost a double digit lead against Phoenix because of lack of effort and self inflicted errors I was p---ed. But against philly I can understand why it would happen they’re a good team and they want to win same as us. I’m sure they’re upset they gave up a 7 pt lead in the 4th to us too  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Brad has openly stated in the past that he prefers to let the guys work it out for themselves rather than call a timeout as he thinks it'll help them grow quicker and learn to gel as a unit. I don't have a problem with that but at some point he has to step in earlier, probably when the stakes are higher. In cases like this it's frustrating but it's a learning technique.

The trust that the team have in themselves and each other is a testament to this. It's also linked to why they lose leads, as the style is often a lot of 3 point shots. When they miss the other teams go on runs, when they score they run riot. Learning the consistency and improving our transition defence are the best ways to improve on that, and I'm sure Brad is getting them to work on it.