Author Topic: How far could this team go?  (Read 1787 times)

How far could this team go?
« on: May 28, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25606
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston trades:  Kemba, Smart, Timelord, Thompson, #1, two #2s
Boston receives:  Jonas V., Ricky Rubio, Al Horford

Minnesota trades:  Ricky Rubio
Minnesota receives:  Thompson, two #2s from Boston

OKC trades:  Al Horford
OKC receives:  Kemba, #1

Memphis trades:  Jonas V., #2
Memphis receives:  Smart, Timelord

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yhjrssy4

Our team:

Jonas V. / (Horford) / Kornet
Horford / (Tatum) / Parker
Tatum / Nesmith
Brown / Fournier / Langford
Rubio / Pritchard

It's not a sexy trade, but it does improve our defense and ball-movement, and it's almost cost neutral.

Who makes out best?  Worst?  Is it unfair to anybody?

I know Smart and Timelord have passionate fans, but Smart hasn't played well this year and has one year left on his deal.  Timelord is arguably fragile, and will want to be paid in free agency. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:04:32 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: How far could this team go?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:43:36 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Don’t hate it. How far could they go? How good will Tatum and Brown be next season? Slightly rhetorical but other than that, I would say, further than this team!

Edit: Actually I love Rubio but haven’t watched him this year. Jonas is tough and that is sorely needed. Horford proved he can still ball, as of this season, but each year could the big drop as he ages.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 03:51:43 PM by seancally »
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 03:49:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
I'd say that team is worse than what we currently have.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Based on what?

Areas where we improve:  defense, spacing, ball movement

Areas where we decline:  Individual offense, upside

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 04:00:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd have significant concerns about Old Al at the 4.

I thought it was clear during his last season here he was best as a 5. Seeing him wash out in Philly only reinforced that for me. I think if you have Jonas as a 5 - who I like and have for awhile - you need a big, switchy forward that really get on the perimeter and defend. A Jerami Grant-type.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 04:01:17 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422

Our team:

Horford / Thompson / Parker
Tatum / Nesmith
Rubio / Pritchard

It's not a sexy trade, but it does improve our defense and ball-movement, and it's almost cost neutral.

I know Smart and Timelord have passionate fans, but Smart hasn't played well this year and has one year left on his deal.  Timelord is arguably fragile, and will want to be paid in free agency.

Trade analysis aside Al is past the days of playing the perimeter he is clearly a center. Jonas, Al , and Thompson is a lot of cap tied into the center position.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 04:02:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would think hard about this one

Al certainly fits better with Tatum and Brown than Kemba.   We need our draft picks badly.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561

Based on what?

Walker is by far the best player in that trade.  Horford can't play PF anymore.  He just doesn't have the quickness to do it.  So the only PF on the team is Parker outside of Tatum (you traded Thompson so you can't have him in the roster part).  Jonas is a solid enough center, but he isn't a good defender and he is a horrid passer.  You do have some of that with Horford, but they just can't play together at the same time.  Rubio is fine as a PG/distributor, but he is a bad defender at this point and he is a terrible shooter.  He isn't the right type of PG to play with Tatum or Brown for that reason.  If you are going to downgrade Walker (for talent upgrades elsewhere) you need to do it with a 3 and D type PG, and that just isn't Rubio.  I don't think the team has adequately replaced Smart in that scenario either. 

Overall I'd much rather have Walker, Smart, Timelord, Thompson, and the draft picks than Jonas, Al, Rubio.  It just isn't a good trade either value wise or from an actual basketball standpoint.  That team is quite simply worse in my estimation.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 04:08:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Our team:

Horford / Thompson / Parker
Tatum / Nesmith
Rubio / Pritchard

Hard to know what the best configuration is here but I reckon only one of Horford or Valanciunas can start with Fournier replacing them in the lineup.

C: Horford, Jonas
F: Tatum
F: Jaylen, Nesmith
G: Fournier
G: Rubio, Pritchard

I wonder if Horford gets the nod because of his shooting, passing and superior switchable perimeter defense. With Jonas as a 6th man offering a change of identity type player off the bench.

How good would this team be?

Somewhat similar to our present team is my guess. I don't think those players (Horford, Jonas, Rubio) move the needle much for their teams in general (or for us specifically).

I am not sure the chemistry is so much better than the current group's chemistry that it makes a big difference either. That is because I do not like the fit of Horford & Jonas together (cannot play together, Horford has struggled at PF last two years). I also do not trust CBS with Jonas (rim roller paint dweller big man).

I know many are interested in a pass-first PG but I am less convinced by that need. I am not sure Rubio is that good of a fit either. I believe Tatum and Jaylen need a lot of the ball so a PG who is better off the ball (shooter) is more my priority than a PG who is a playmaker. A PG who needs more of the ball takes the ball away from Jaylen and Tatum. That is why I prioritize a high post passing big more than a playmaking PG. They spend less time on the ball and share possession around better than a PG who dribbles more of the shot clock.

So I see this team more as similar but different rather than better or worse.

------

I wonder if Pritchard could beat out Rubio for the starting job. I like his fit & skill-set better.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 04:17:09 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I thought it was clear during his last season here he was best as a 5. Seeing him wash out in Philly only reinforced that for me. I think if you have Jonas as a 5 - who I like and have for awhile - you need a big, switchy forward that really get on the perimeter and defend. A Jerami Grant-type.
Or a Siakam type 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 04:23:07 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

Based on what?

I will take a shot at this.  First, I don't think Rubio is very good.  Career 39% fg%, only 32.5% from 3.  Last season, on a bad team where if he had anything to feature, they would have featured it, he put up 8.6 pts in 26 minutes on 30% 3p%.  He did get 6.4 assts but overall, I am not sure he is much better than Teague.

As to the bigs you get in this deal, Valanciunas and Horford, two slow plodding bigs that you really can't play together in my mind.  JV is an expiring so if he plays well, we can't afford to resign him.  Of the 3 parts to this proposed rebuild, JV is the piece I like the best.  We desperately need a big with some skill.  JV has more skill than any of our current bigs so a step in the right direction.  But Rubio and Horford would be nothing but dead weight in my opinion.

Breaking down just that part, Smart + RWill for JV and a second round pick?  I am not afraid to give up either Smart of RWill so I guess this is a reasonable trade proposal.  My hesitation is that I have not watch JV enough lately to be sure he is actually good.  I was not overly impressed with him back in the Toronto days when I saw more of him.

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1475

Our team:

Horford / (Tatum) / Parker
Tatum / Nesmith
Rubio / Pritchard

I like the Idea, Roy. Seems like Minnesota could be open to moving Rubio, since they have Russell starting. Not sure Memphis would be interested in moving, Jonas for any players that the C’s have not named Tatum or Brown, though. They already have Brooks, Allen and Bane at the SG spot. Smart would be redundant.

I think I’d prefer this Starting lineup even more: Rubio, Brown, Tatum, Horford, Timelord. Ball would zip around with Rubio, Horford and Rob on the court together. That would be a lot of fun to watch.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 05:28:57 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 04:56:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Or a Siakam type 8)

Exactly. Or a Ben Simmons type. Lol, not realistic at all but that's my in my head only 3rd guy to put next to the Jays.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 05:01:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Or a Siakam type 8)

Exactly. Or a Ben Simmons type. Lol, not realistic at all but that's my in my head only 3rd guy to put next to the Jays.

I don't think we're necessarily going to find a third star this off-season.  I think it's more feasible to build a solid team that could take a leap as Tatum / Brown improve.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 05:20:51 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Trade as a whole is unlikely.

The OKC trade is viable as a stand-alone transaction.