Author Topic: Drummond?  (Read 12533 times)

Re: Drummond?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2021, 11:29:39 AM »

Offline GreenBoomer

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
Big, lumbering, back to the basket, power-types don't seem to particularly flourish with Brad (Kanter and Monroe come to mind).

Agree. Don't think he fits in well with Brad's switch everything philosophy. Look at Kanter, in the 45 games he's played for Portland, playing 26 mpg he's had a 20-20 and a 19-19 game and a total of 26 double doubles, as well as 12 games of 15+ rebounds and 3 games of 20+ rebounds. Compare that with his tenure with us, he had 9 double doubles in 58 games averaging 16 mpg.

For those salivating about Drummond gobbling up 20 rebounds a night for us, I suspect the same thing will happen to him as what happened to Kanter. He'd be sacrificing a lot of minutes to play for us as well.
Brad needs to adjust to accomodate Drummond, not the other way around. If you can add Drummond at the minimum, you do it. Plain and simple. If Brad can't coach him, get somebody who can.

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If he comes here, then yes, Brad should coach him. We wouldn’t need him to do anything other than score off of putbacks and lobs.  He has a decent face of the game, but that should be employed rarely.  He is a legitimately excellent rebounder, and he has the size to play defense against some of the better players in the league. For the minimum, what’s not to like?

I don’t think he’s coming here, but the guy is putting up 17 / 13 in 29 minutes.  If he chooses us, we should welcome him with open arms, because he is a clear upgrade over what we have.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They traded Theis to open up minutes for Timelord. Drummond seems like he is looking for a place to get minutes and showcase himself in a winning environment. Do we honestly. Think Boston is that place? If he comes here, do we assume he gets 25 mins a night? Drummond definitely has size and can be useful in certain matchups but just don’t see the fit otherwise.

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
They traded Theis to open up minutes for Timelord. Drummond seems like he is looking for a place to get minutes and showcase himself in a winning environment. Do we honestly. Think Boston is that place? If he comes here, do we assume he gets 25 mins a night? Drummond definitely has size and can be useful in certain matchups but just don’t see the fit otherwise.

Two man C rotation, Drummond in the 25-30mpg range, R. Williams getting the remaining 18-23mpg.

Thompson can stay partying away from the team, and we can try to move him in the offseason. Tacko gets the 🗑 time.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Two man C rotation, Drummond in the 25-30mpg range, R. Williams getting the remaining 18-23mpg.

Thompson can stay partying away from the team, and we can try to move him in the offseason. Tacko gets the 🗑 time.
I do not see a path where Stevens plays some like Drummond 25-30 mins a game. Timelord is the starter imo and Drummond would be coming off the bench and taking TT’s minutes.

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2021, 01:03:22 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Every one acting like Drummond is some huge game changer is making me laugh. Ask Pistons and Cavs fans how they feel about him, and you'll get your answer on how good he is. He's the definition of empty calories.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2021, 01:11:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I got one day where I wasn't frustrated by the center rotation and now they're going to add another center to re-complicate things?

Is Williams better than Drummond right now? Despite Drummond's size and athleticism, he's never actually been a great defender. He's huge but he doesn't do that well against Embiid, which is something on everyone's mind. It feels like Williams has earned his starting role. Bringing someone in and immediately taking it away from him wouldn't sit right with me.

If Drummond is going to come in to come off the bench and split time with Williams, that works but then Thompson is left out and is he going to be okay with that?

Drummond has a ton of talent but this feels like creating a problem that they just solved.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2021, 01:37:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
then Thompson is left out and is he going to be okay with that?

Do we care?  Hopefully he’s gone next summer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I got one day where I wasn't frustrated by the center rotation and now they're going to add another center to re-complicate things?

Is Williams better than Drummond right now? Despite Drummond's size and athleticism, he's never actually been a great defender. He's huge but he doesn't do that well against Embiid, which is something on everyone's mind. It feels like Williams has earned his starting role. Bringing someone in and immediately taking it away from him wouldn't sit right with me.

If Drummond is going to come in to come off the bench and split time with Williams, that works but then Thompson is left out and is he going to be okay with that?

Drummond has a ton of talent but this feels like creating a problem that they just solved.
I don't think Drummond would even consider coming here unless he was likely to get immediate minutes. Timelord is clearly the starter now so I'd assume if Drummond signs it would be to back up Timelord.

If Thompson were coming back then I think he's a solid back up center. To go after Drummond to me signals that Thompson isn't going to be playing regular minutes for the C's again.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2021, 01:46:57 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

I don't think Drummond would even consider coming here unless he was likely to get immediate minutes. Timelord is clearly the starter now so I'd assume if Drummond signs it would be to back up Timelord.

If Thompson were coming back then I think he's a solid back up center. To go after Drummond to me signals that Thompson isn't going to be playing regular minutes for the C's again.

If Drummond picks us I have to believe he was promised the starting role to “prove he’s still one of the best centers in the league” before free agency even though he isn’t. He’d be a rental.

This is one reason I’m not sure how I’d feel about getting him. I’d be fine with him taking TT’s minutes but I really don’t want him to take minutes from Timelord.

The perk to him is since Stevens’s teams insist on bombing 3s he’s the perfect big to clean up the misses. That’s the extent of his value in my view, beyond just being an upgrade over TT. But under no circumstances should he be taking minutes from Timelord.

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
then Thompson is left out and is he going to be okay with that?

Do we care?  Hopefully he’s gone next summer.

I don't. If Brad starts playing Thompson 10 minutes a game, then this could work. But if Brad goes back to trying to juggle three centers with roughly equal minutes I think it's a mess.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Honestly as I said in my first post I almost want him solely since it means he chose us over the Lakers; sick of that fanbase thinking they’re entitled to every decent to good player.

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2021, 02:23:00 PM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

You can quit being frustrated because Drummond is not choosing the Celtics.

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2021, 02:30:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Non-update:

Brad Turner: Sources: Lakers and Celtics in running to land center André Drummond, but Knicks also have a shot. Drummond might make a decision today. – via Twitter BA_Turner

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2021, 02:32:39 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

If Drummond picks us I have to believe he was promised the starting role to “prove he’s still one of the best centers in the league” before free agency even though he isn’t. He’d be a rental.

This is one reason I’m not sure how I’d feel about getting him. I’d be fine with him taking TT’s minutes but I really don’t want him to take minutes from Timelord.

The perk to him is since Stevens’s teams insist on bombing 3s he’s the perfect big to clean up the misses. That’s the extent of his value in my view, beyond just being an upgrade over TT. But under no circumstances should he be taking minutes from Timelord.

Boston is 20th in the league in 3-point attempts - and that’s after bombing away the last three games. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

If you add Drummond, you’ll probably see more threes, because the opposing team’s center is going to shade wayyyy back toward
the basket, closing the driving lanes for Tatum and Brown.

Also, Drummond has had terrible scoring efficiency his whole career. His career TS% is 54% - below league average, and this year before Cleveland shut him down he was having an atrocious year - 47%z for comparison, Tristan Thompson is at 53.4% this year. I don’t really want someone like that taking shots from the Js. And think of how bad that really is, for a guy who gets as many offensive rebounds as he does. He gets a few easy putbacks every game, almost always shoots right near the basket, and still lands under 50%?

Maybe, if the start of this year was a fluke and he was demotivated, he’ll rise to the level of TT: a second/third string center.