Author Topic: (Update) Celtics NOT favorites to land Aaron Gordon  (Read 33737 times)

Re: The athletic: Celtics favorites to land Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2021, 12:48:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Woj on Boston trade rumors (AG).  Nothing we don't know already. But good to see acknowledgement from Woj

https://youtu.be/gtwYvtLska8?t=299

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I scanned through all the teams that are playoff bound. And also a few just outside the playoff picture that could have interest in Gordon and able to trade for him (cap)

I think the only teams that have a chance are

- Nuggets could offer Harris Jr. and multiple 1sts.  Which would be worst than Celtics offer
- GSW could offer Oubre Jr and multiple 1sts.  But Oubre is a UFA after this season.  2021 GSW 1st is top 20 protected complication
- Blazers could offer Hood, Collins and multiple 1st. But 2021 1st is top 14 protected complication

I feel like the Celts have the best shot to come out with Gordon and Fournier

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
If you can get Gordon and Fournier for Kemba, Nesmith or Romeo, and a couple of protected firsts you have to do it in my opinion.

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2021, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If you can get Gordon and Fournier for Kemba, Nesmith or Romeo, and a couple of protected firsts you have to do it in my opinion.

Agree.  I would also want another point guard.  I wonder if they could get Kris Dunn for a second using Kanter’s TPE. 

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2021, 01:36:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
actually, no you don't.  too rich. 

trading the best player, a top prospect and 2 firsts for an decent starter (but in no way an all-star candidate) and a bench player that may be in decline?   no way.

Gordon and Smart will be battling for 3rd banana status behind the J's and that's not good enough to move the needle for us.  Smart, GWill and a protected pick, ok, but that's only really adding someone with more size than GWill as a PF and a better shooter/much-lesser defender than Smart.

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Woj on Boston trade rumors (AG).  Nothing we don't know already. But good to see acknowledgement from Woj

We don't get much acknowledgement from Woj because I don't think he has many reliable sources in the organization. I'll never forget his "Boston's hopes to sign Al Horford are fading fast and Washington is the frontrunner" only for Horford to change his Twitter bio to 18 shamrocks 5 minutes later.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I would love to see A.Gordon on the Nuggets next to Jokic. That would be a good fit for both. Gordon's quickness and Jokic's passing to set him up for easier opportunities.

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would love to see A.Gordon on the Nuggets next to Jokic. That would be a good fit for both. Gordon's quickness and Jokic's passing to set him up for easier opportunities.

Post this on the nuggetsforum  :P

I would like to see Gordon as a Celtic.  He would fit in nicely with Jays imo

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

We don't get much acknowledgement from Woj because I don't think he has many reliable sources in the organization. I'll never forget his "Boston's hopes to sign Al Horford are fading fast and Washington is the frontrunner" only for Horford to change his Twitter bio to 18 shamrocks 5 minutes later.

Yeah I remember that

He was in the vicinity though

If Woj didnt hear any rumblings regarding AG to Celtics. He wouldnt have said anything about it

So Celts are in this and possibly front runner?

I wouldnt be shocked if he got traded to another team

Would be shockef if he still remained a Magic past the deadline. 

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Yeah I remember that

He was in the vicinity though

If Woj didnt hear any rumblings regarding AG to Celtics. He wouldnt have said anything about it

So Celts are in this and possibly front runner?

I wouldnt be shocked if he got traded to another team

Would be shockef if he still remained a Magic past the deadline.

I don't expect Gordon to be with Orlando past the deadline. But I don't expect us to be the team. I want us to be - I've been pro-Gordon for awhile. I just think this is going to play out with a 3:01 tweet from Bulpett or Himmelsbach saying Boston is standing pat and Ainge doing the media rounds next week talking about how we were close on some deals, but they just didn't make sense.

I'm not letting this team get my hopes up anymore to trash them later.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Apparently the offer has been made...smart and two firsts for Gordon and Fournier per the action network

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Apparently the offer has been made...smart and two firsts for Gordon and Fournier per the athletic

That is not the reported offer.   It said the Celtics would be willing to offer two 1st for Gordon

It seems Orlando is interested in Smart.   

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Apparently the offer has been made...smart and two firsts for Gordon and Fournier per the athletic

That is not the reported offer.   It said the Celtics would be willing to offer two 1st for Gordon

It seems Orlando is interested in Smart.

This seems to be the situation

As per Moore

The Boston Celtics are considered the frontrunners to add Orlando Magic forward Aaron Gordon via trade, multiple sources confirmed to The Action Network Monday night. While the framework of a deal is in active discussion and considered the leading offer, sources say no deal has been agreed upon and the Magic are expected to continue to take offers up until Thursday’s deadline.

The list of suitors for Gordon has increased in recent days, with the Nuggets, Blazers and Mavericks, along with long-time suitor the Houston Rockets, who had targeted Gordon in three-way conversations during the James Harden trade talks.

Houston, notably, and as previously reported by The Athletic, offered two first-round picks for Gordon recently but were unable to reach a deal due to Gordon’s reticence to sign an extension with Houston, sources confirmed.

Boston, multiple sources confirmed, has offered two first-round picks. No other teams on the board have yet to reach that offer level. It’s not known yet what types of protections are attached to those talks but there is an assumption there will be some, if not significant, protections on the first-rounders.

Additionally, the framework involves Evan Fournier going to Boston, with the Celtics sending a player, the two picks, and using their Traded Player Exception from the Gordon Hayward trade.

As to the player, negotiations continue with the Magic preferring Marcus Smart while Boston is reluctant to part with their longtime emotional heartbeat and All-Defensive Team guard.

Notes

-Rockets with several 1sts from the Harden trade already offered two 1sts. AG wont entertain extension

- Celts only other team to offer two 1sts

- Magic want to unload Fournier and prefer Smart as the player they want in return (bigger deal)

I wonder if the impasse is Fournier.  Magic are trying to unload him but if cant need to use AG in a bigger deal

Danny should set a deadline and not be taken hostage

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
actually, no you don't.  too rich. 

trading the best player, a top prospect and 2 firsts for an decent starter (but in no way an all-star candidate) and a bench player that may be in decline?   no way.

Gordon and Smart will be battling for 3rd banana status behind the J's and that's not good enough to move the needle for us.  Smart, GWill and a protected pick, ok, but that's only really adding someone with more size than GWill as a PF and a better shooter/much-lesser defender than Smart.

Yeah, that's awful. I would consider Kemba for AG/Fournier, but I'm not adding in a recent lottery pick and two additional 1sts. Kemba is just plain better than those two, but I do understand age/contract concerns moving forward, which is why I would probably do a straight-up trade.

Fwiw, I also wouldn't entertain Smart, 2 1sts, and going into the tax. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I want any major moves we make to take us to contender territory and this doesn't seem to be enough. Using up all of our draft capital and best assets for a minor upgrade seems iffy. I'd be much more interested in Collins/Bogdan for that package.