Author Topic: (Update) Celtics NOT favorites to land Aaron Gordon  (Read 33679 times)

Re: The athletic: Celtics favorites to land Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I am utterly shocked of the fan perception of Smart’s worth by fans. Marcus Smart is not worth 2 first round picks on his own lol. He’s a nice defensive player but a back hole on offense. Both Gordon and Fournier are on par if not better players than Smart. I’d have no qualms about trading Smart in a deal.

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Here's hoping the deal falls through. Imo, 2 firsts for Gordon is an overpay. I'd rather have Smart, the picks and the TPE instead of Gordon and Fournier (assuming this is the framework of the deal).

I agree with the above. Gordon and Fournier don’t move the needle enough to give up multiple first’s and Smart. Danny needs to bring in a 3rd All Star talent to play with Jaylen and Jayson and we will need those future first round picks to do so.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 09:47:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If we're surrendering 2 firsts, I'd expect us to at least dump Kemba's albatross.

Gordon + Fournier for Kemba + 2 picks

Personally speaking, I still wouldn't do it, but at least it would make way more sense than the rumored trade.

Smart + 2 firsts + the TPE is a premium package. I fully believe it can net us a better return than Gordon + Fournier. The TPE is a serious asset on its own. We are the only team in the league that can absorb north of $20 million without having to match salary. Unfortunately, it seems like Wyc isn't willing to pay luxury tax this season.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Gordon would be a nice fit in our system. That said, imo his 3P% this season is a fluke. I mean, his career averages are 32.5% from 3pt range and 69.5% from the FT line. I guess we'd have to pair him with a starting-caliber stretch 5.

Not a big fan of Fournier's game, but I reckon he'd make a very useful 6th man.
Nice post.  I'm with you on Kemba.  It makes a lot more sense if we are including him which would signal a new direction for the team.  I'm not all that interested in Gordon and think Smart is the better player of the two, but including Kemba and getting a reset on this team might be worth it.

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2021, 09:58:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Saw on Twitter that a Gordon trade might be a precursor to a Bradley Beal trade in the off season based either around Gordon or Brown.  Can't find the tweet, thought it was Keith Smith, but I've looked.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2021, 10:16:03 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The Boston Celtics are reported “frontrunners” to acquire Aaron Gordon at the NBA trade deadline, according to a report from Matt Moore of The Action Network.

According to the report, The Magic have demanded two first-round picks in exchange for Gordon, who is in the penultimate season of a four-year deal worth $80 million. Other teams interested in Gordon have reportedly balked at the asking price, but the Celtics — whose 21-22 record and $28.5 million traded player exception has made them a prime candidate for a shakeup at the deadline — have reportedly been willing to offer up the necessary draft capital. Any potential protections are unclear at this stage..Magic is pushing for Smart in a trade

Wait, why the heck would Ainge give up assets for a player in the last year of his deal who is about to become an unrestricted free agent? That makes no sense. There is too much risk about the player leaving.

I am against giving up any valued assets (1st round picks, good youth) for Aaron Gordon. Too risky.

And I expect Ainge feels the same way given his comments in the last week. This feels like a media story. Not a real story. I don't buy these reports.

My guess is that Ainge is fishing for a low price low risk trade and if it isn't there he walks away. None of this 2 first round picks business.

Note: I am fine giving up assets for a restricted free agent because you have a lot of control over the outcome. In this situation, an unrestricted free agent, you have zero control. WAY too much risk. As an idea, this is a non-starter.

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2021, 10:17:25 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Saw on Twitter that a Gordon trade might be a precursor to a Bradley Beal trade in the off season based either around Gordon or Brown.  Can't find the tweet, thought it was Keith Smith, but I've looked.

Any tweet like that is pure spitballing, same as we can do on this board.  Certainly the Celtics will kick the tire on Beal, as they probably did last offseason and/or have this year.  Maybe Gordon would be involved, or maybe not.  Maybe Brown.  Given that the TPE isn’t large enough for Beal, a large amount salary has to be sent out to get him, so sure, either could be moved as part of a Beal trade.

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2021, 10:18:55 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I am utterly shocked of the fan perception of Smart’s worth by fans. Marcus Smart is not worth 2 first round picks on his own lol. He’s a nice defensive player but a back hole on offense. Both Gordon and Fournier are on par if not better players than Smart. I’d have no qualms about trading Smart in a deal.

If Aaron Gordon is worth two firsts, it’s not crazy to think Marcus Smart is worth two firsts.  Plain and simple.

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2021, 10:28:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
So, let me get this straight. Aaron Gordon has requested a trade. According to Keith Smith, he ''has put the Boston Celtics near the top of the list of teams he would like be traded to''. The Magic have almost zero leverage in this. High-profile players have the power to dictate their future. No other team around the league is willing to offer 2 firsts for Gordon. Why on earth should we meet Orlando's asking price?

Anyway, it's just a rumor. It may well be a leaked smokescreen. When was the last time we made a trade which had been leaked to the media a few days in advance?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:36:52 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2021, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hopefully Gordon is a smokescreen to convince Atlanta to trade us Collins.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

That's has been my thought but I think that's more the reason not to trade Smart.   An offer that started with Gordon and Smart is strong.

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2021, 10:40:28 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Just read that Atlanta wanted Brown for a trade involving Collins (per Jared Weiss), so i'd say that avenue is closed...perhaps that is why the Celtics are negotiating for Gordon.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's has been my thought but I think that's more the reason not to trade Smart.   An offer that started with Gordon and Smart is strong.

Yeah, my idea was to acquire Barnes and then combine him with Smart in a package for Beal.

I don’t think that I would include Smart in a trade for Gordon and Fournier.  Collins and Bogs, yes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I think you’re going to be very disappointed if your vision of a successful trade deadline includes the Celtics acquiring John Collins.  If Atlanta hadn’t won 8 in a row to get into solid playoff contention, that might have been in the cards.  But their ownership has pretty much demanded a playoff appearance, and Collins looks to be an integral part of this year’s team.  It would now surprise me if Atlanta didn’t match his offer sheet in free agency.

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2021, 10:42:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Just read that Atlanta wanted Brown for a trade involving Collins (per Jared Weiss), so i'd say that avenue is closed...perhaps that is why the Celtics are negotiating for Gordon.

Weiss suggested that was an opening offer, but I thought the suggestion was that it wasn’t a realistic demand.

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2021, 10:47:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

If Atlanta really thought that Collins was as good as Brown, they shouldn't trade him.  It makes no sense.  I suspect that Boston is trying to make Smart + Picks for Collins and Bog work and if it doesn't, move on to trying to get Gordon or something else.  And I hope the discussion with Orlando is around Kemba + Picks for Gordon and Fournier.  I would be happy with either of these trades (or even Kemba for Markkanen + Porter).  We need to do something to breathe new life into the team.  I am hoping for the best but bracing for something less.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:59:54 AM by Vermont Green »