Author Topic: Trade Deadline Rumors  (Read 72361 times)

Trade Deadline Rumors
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:41:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Use this thread to post rumors you find interesting (but not necessarily thread-worthy)whether they apply to the Celtics or not.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 10:43:17 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
With the trade deadline nine days away, Myles Turner’s name will inevitably come up when it comes to teams who have interest in him. There are more than a few. The New York Knicks, L.A. Lakers, L.A. Clippers, Charlotte Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans are among those who have explored whether the Pacers are willing to part with the league’s leading shot-blocker, league sources tell IndyStar. – via J. Michael @ Indianapolis Star

I find this to be interesting, if only because one of our justifications for not trading for Turner was allegedly that he had no trade market.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 11:08:43 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
With the trade deadline nine days away, Myles Turner’s name will inevitably come up when it comes to teams who have interest in him. There are more than a few. The New York Knicks, L.A. Lakers, L.A. Clippers, Charlotte Hornets and New Orleans Pelicans are among those who have explored whether the Pacers are willing to part with the league’s leading shot-blocker, league sources tell IndyStar. – via J. Michael @ Indianapolis Star

I find this to be interesting, if only because one of our justifications for not trading for Turner was allegedly that he had no trade market.

Well any player can be traded, I think it ultimately comes down to the return package. The C's allegedly weren't impressed by the value when they we're gauging his market this past offseason, that isn't to say there isn't a market at all.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 11:28:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Is it there was no trade market or was it the trade value wasn't very good?  Let see if a team offers a good package first.

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
P.J. Tucker, whose numbers have dipped precipitously this season, is expected to be traded, with rival executives pointing to Miami as the favorite.
– via Chris Mannix @ Sports Illustrate

Part of me thinks that "rival executives" always project Miami as the favorite for everybody, haha.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 12:01:20 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I feel like just this glimpse of Rob Williams justifies even more not trading for Turner ( who I think is overall a weak defender anyways.)

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 12:22:11 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
P.J. Tucker, whose numbers have dipped precipitously this season, is expected to be traded, with rival executives pointing to Miami as the favorite.
– via Chris Mannix @ Sports Illustrate

Part of me thinks that "rival executives" always project Miami as the favorite for everybody, haha.

Agreed, but in this case, the Heat and Rockets match up very well for some kind of deal.  The Heat have tons of useless expiring contracts which satisfies Houston's desire to keep their cap clear, and also have draft picks owed to the Rockets for which they can change protections as part of a compensation package.  And because of their picks owed, there are few other teams Miami can trade with.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 12:22:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
PJ Tucker is old.   Would he be an upgrade for our woeful bench possibly?  Would he make us contenders no way..... I have never thought he was more than a band aid fix for us, and he will even decline more as he gets older.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 01:06:23 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 02:02:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
PJ Tucker is old.   Would he be an upgrade for our woeful bench possibly?  Would he make us contenders no way..... I have never thought he was more than a band aid fix for us, and he will even decline more as he gets older.

I agree with you.

What do you propose to make our .500 team better?

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 02:38:53 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I agree with you.

I mean there are plenty of proposals where we get a birderline allstar and we send one pick and Grant Williams . If Danny consumes 2-3 such trades we will be contenders lol

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 04:38:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I agree with you.

Almost any one we get is going to be better than the lower end of our bench in contributions,  Grant, Green, Carsen and Waters is who I mean.   Heck you could almost say Romeo and Nesmith too as one is always hurt and one the coach doesn't trust.   We are a 7-8 deep team who lacks depth.   I think we had some depth problems last year and even more so this year.

I would try to move Thompson for some depth players, if LA wants him ask for Kuzma and a piece.   If Tor wants him  to trade Baynes away for Thompson, I would ask for draft capital or one of their cheap young guys that is decent for us taking Aaron off their hands.   I would push for Boucher as he plays the same position as Siakam or AG but I think their both a reach.    That would most likely kill the deal but you never know, we are the ones taking a bad contract and deserve something.   Powell would be ideal but I doubt they would do it.    I would offer ATL their pick or Romeo or Nesmith, and two firsts.   I would try to use the Kanter TE with a 2nd rounder tied to it to get more depth in a team selling.    Pulling all this off would take a miracle.

I would worry if Rob can stay healthy as well if we trade Thompson and I don't trust Tacko.   Whomever we got would have to be willing or able to play small ball five just in case.   

I don't think it would be hard to make our team better Footey, it's making it a viable contender that would be hard.

But your asking a rank amateur here in terms of GMing and proposing trades.   I rarely do it because nothing seems like things would work out because I am such a homer.....

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Quote from: Chris Mannix @SI
Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier are available, as is All-Star center Nikola Vucevic. The Magic have been looking for point guard help, kicking the tires on Ricky Rubio recently. Celtics guard Kemba Walker remains a favorite of Magic coach Steve Clifford, but it’s unlikely Boston, without much depth behind Walker, will part with him at this point.
https://www.si.com/nba/2021/03/16/nba-trade-rumors-storylines-to-follow

He also reports that the Celtics will likely ''pursue Barnes right up until the deadline''.

To sum up:
- Gordon, Fournier are available
- the Magic like Kemba
- the C's like Barnes

How about this trade?

C's starting lineup after the trade

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Barnes 
PF: Tatum
C: Theis/Thompson/Timelord

6th man: Fournier
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:57:34 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier are available, as is All-Star center Nikola Vucevic. The Magic have been looking for point guard help, kicking the tires on Ricky Rubio recently. Celtics guard Kemba Walker remains a favorite of Magic coach Steve Clifford, but it’s unlikely Boston, without much depth behind Walker, will part with him at this point.

He also reports that the Celtics will likely ''pursue Barnes right up until the deadline''.

To sum up:
- the Magic like Kemba
- the C's like Barnes

How about this trade?

I like a lot this trade for us : a Smart-Brown-Tatum-Barnes-Rob with Evan as a 6th men. If Fournier agree to extend for 12-15M a year.
 Maybe for Orlando also it is a good one but Sacto must gain two first at least to take the same contract from a lower quality player, when they just want to dumb salariy.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

To sum up:
- the Magic like Kemba
- the C's like Barnes

How about this trade?

I like a lot this trade for us : a Smart-Brown-Tatum-Barnes-Rob with Evan as a 6th men. If Fournier agree to extend for 12-15M a year.
 Maybe for Orlando also it is a good one but Sacto must gain two first at least to take the same contract from a lower quality player, when they just want to dumb salariy.
Gordon + 2 firsts for Barnes? Don't think Barnes is worth that much.

How about the Kings get Bamba as well? He's hardly playing for the Magic cause they got Vucevic. In fact, he's their 3rd string Center behind Khem Birch. Or maybe the Magic send a protected pick instead of Bamba? Wouldn't include a pick on our part, but maybe that's just me.

For the record, I'd love us to go after after Bamba. I believe he still has a higher ceiling than Time Lord (but a lower floor).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:25:50 PM by Jvalin »