Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Atlantic Divison  (Read 56013 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Atlantic Divison
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I love it. More semantics.

So it is impossible for there to be more than one dominant PG in the league, one dominant SF in the league, one dominant player in the league?

Please, I expected better than that.

Yes , it is impossible for there to be more than one person who is dominant at their position. It's not semantics, it's definitions.
He's not interested in debating anymore, otherwise he'd actually extend the conversation to include me.

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

What I said is that a team needs to HAVE a dominant SG to win it all in today's NBA. Does that mean it is impossible for a team without a dominant SG to win it all? Of course not and you know that. I am not talking absolutes and never said I was.

I guess I don't understand.  To me "needs to" means the exact same thing as "it's impossible without".  I don't recognize a distinction.

Regardless, I just disagree with your position.  To me, there's no reason why teams with great SGs would be more likely to win than teams with great SFs. 

(Again, our team doesn't have a vested interest here; we just disagree with the argument.)
So your disagreement with what I presented breaks down to semantics?

The temperature of water needs to be at 32 degrees or below to solidify. Yet it snows at temperatures above 32 degrees

That is backhanged and disingenuous. You know when the snow forms it is below 32 degrees, where it falls is not the issue here.

Frankly I expected better.
You expect better from me but the lawyer equates needs with impossible to happen without and I'm being backhanded and disingenuous!!!!

I know you mods like to stick up for each other but that's ridiculous.

FTR..I meant I expect a better metaphor.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

What I said is that a team needs to HAVE a dominant SG to win it all in today's NBA. Does that mean it is impossible for a team without a dominant SG to win it all? Of course not and you know that. I am not talking absolutes and never said I was.

I guess I don't understand.  To me "needs to" means the exact same thing as "it's impossible without".  I don't recognize a distinction.

Regardless, I just disagree with your position.  To me, there's no reason why teams with great SGs would be more likely to win than teams with great SFs. 

(Again, our team doesn't have a vested interest here; we just disagree with the argument.)
So your disagreement with what I presented breaks down to semantics?

The temperature of water needs to be at 32 degrees or below to solidify. Yet it snows at temperatures above 32 degrees

That is backhanged and disingenuous. You know when the snow forms it is below 32 degrees, where it falls is not the issue here.

Frankly I expected better.
You expect better from me but the lawyer equates needs with impossible to happen without and I'm being backhanded and disingenuous!!!!

I know you mods like to stick up for each other but that's ridiculous.

FTR..I meant I expect a better metaphor.

Can we still call you guys the Mod Squad?

« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I kinda call us the Mod Squad sometimes.

« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
To answer the question about who holds our team together, I think it has to be KG.  He is the player this year that is without a doubt going to be the hungriest player in the league thsi year.  He got a taste of winning and then was robbed of another championship this year.  He may make some people cry along the way but he will without a doubt be the leader on our team.   

Also with a few seconds left who gets the ball?  Im gonna go with Garnett.  He is 6-11 has a high release so its extremely difficult to block or bother his shot.  Also as I have said many times he was the leading fourth quarter scorer for the championship celtics team as well as the leading playoff scorer.  He knows what it takes to win and I don't see that changing now. 

And for Dallas Im sorry some of my arguments have taken over the thread it is something I regret and wish I could undo. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2009, 09:57:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just want to publicly apologize to those I may have been short with. Got some bad business news that was upsetting and vented at people in here.

Sorry.

« Reply #186 on: August 05, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
And If I need a three pointer with a few seconds left its going to Finley.  The man has made countless big shots throughout his career. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2009, 10:07:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And If I need a three pointer with a few seconds left its going to Finley.  The man has made countless big shots throughout his career. 

Ballsy.

« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2009, 10:09:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
If I need a three Im going with a man thats done it before in big spots. 

« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2009, 10:11:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If I need a three Im going with a man thats done it before in big spots. 

I see that, and I was behind you putting Finley out there..but do you really want a reserve being your #1 gotta have it option? Let alone a reserve that is remarkably inconsistent b/c of his age?

« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Ok, Im thinking if we need a three its an inbounds play.  Have Finley coming off a screen to take that last shot.  Finley being the number one option, and I really think he has proved that he is an extremely clutch shooter and lets face it, because of his age who is gonna see it coming?

So i guess in the case that I am envisioning a group of shooters in the game, so reserve isnt really on my mind in that case

« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Well now I will.

« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
FWIW though from Merian-Webster Dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dominant

Main Entry:
    1dom·i·nant Listen to the pronunciation of 1dominant
Pronunciation:
    \-nənt\
Function:
    adjective
Etymology:
    Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin dominant-, dominans, present participle of dominari
Date:
    circa 1532

1 a: commanding, controlling, or prevailing over all others <the dominant culture> b: very important, powerful, or successful <a dominant theme> <a dominant industry>

Notice that there are 2 meanings to the main definitive use of the word with the second being: "very important, powerful, or successful" which does not limit the use of the word down to only one particular object within a group. There can be more than one dominant anything.

So you were arguing semantics.

As for Fafnir, sorry dude. My statement was that of the last 22 world champions 90% had dominant SGs. Joe Dumars(2), MJ(6), Kobe(4), Wade(1), Ray Allen(1), Rip Hamilton(1), Byron Scott(1), Manu(2), Drexler(1) and I argued as a pairing Jackson and Manu were a dominant pairing of SG's in 2003.

So I have the number at somewhere between 87-91%.

« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Well now I will.

Haha touche.  I mean sure, the shot clock expired but he still made the shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fiZjER5E68

« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones