Author Topic: Top 20 Fantasy Football QB Preseason Power Rankings (2008-2009)  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
As I prepare for my fantasy draft in a few weeks, I thought it would be fun to rate positions to see where we agree and disagree. It's also great to get someone's take about a player that plays in the area where they live. A little inside information. This is my power ranking:

(In my league you get 6 pt for a passing TD, 1 pt for every 25 yds thrown, and 1 pt for every 10 yds rushed. Also, 2pts for 2pt conversions and there is no negative categories.)

1. Brady
2. P. Manning
3. Romo
4. Palmer
5. Brees
6. D. Anderson
7. Roethlisberger
8. Hasselback
10. McNabb
11. Schaub
12. Young
13. Cutler
14. E. Manning
15. Favre
16. Garrad
17. Kitna
18. Leinart
19. Delhomme
20. T. Jackson

I have the first pick in my draft. We use the serpentine format so I won't pick again till 24. I'm definitely going with LT # 1. By my next pick, I'm almost sure Brady, Manning, and Romo will be off the board. So I think I might wait til my 5th pick until I draft a QB. The guy I'm hoping for at that pick is D. Anderson.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Top 20 Fantasy Football QB Preseason Power Rankings (2008-2009)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I think a fantasy sports forum is a good idea.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 11:12:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Thanks. :)

I'd weigh in on this particular topic, but I annually finish in the bottom half of any league I'm playing in, so my advice isn't worth much.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 11:29:47 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I'd weigh in on this particular topic, but I annually finish in the bottom half of any league I'm playing in, so my advice isn't worth much.

But your wrong. If I remember correct, you live somewhere near Philly. So maybe you have some insight on McNabb and the offense that some of the rest of us don't have. Do you think #10 is about right for Donovan or too high?

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Anderson will be gone before the 5th, someone will panic after the big 3 are gone and take him/Palmer/Brees too early in the 3rd and/or 4th.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'd put Cambel on that list.  Toward the bottom. 

Garrard maybe a little higher.

Big Ben over Anderson.   

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Anderson will be gone before the 5th, someone will panic after the big 3 are gone and take him/Palmer/Brees too early in the 3rd and/or 4th.

Yeah, I can see that. My draft plan (I have the # 1 pick) was going to take LT, WR, RB, WR. But maybe I can get lucky and catch Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, or Marvin Harrison with a 5th or 6th pick and then Palmer, Brees, or Anderson with my 4th. :-\

I'd put Cambel on that list.  Toward the bottom. 

Garrard maybe a little higher.

Big Ben over Anderson.   

I worry Ben. He has a history of playing good every other season. As for Campbell, I am not sold.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
My thoughts on QB's:  Don't take a top 6 QB unless it is Brady.  After that try to get Hasselbeck.  I think that he will be a top 6-7 QB that you can steal in the early 70s.  Other than that, you don't have Aaron Rodgers on your list.  With the moving of BF he is defnitely going to be a top 15 QB.  Also, I don't think Palmer or Anderson will be able to be that good this year.  Other than that it seems like a pretty good list.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:02:54 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I worry Ben. He has a history of playing good every other season. As for Campbell, I am not sold.

Uh, you're crazy.  Ben has played 4 seasons, the first two were okay, then he got injured in a motorcycle accident and wasn't quite the same, then he played a fourth season where he threw 34 touchdowns.  He is over the accident and is going to have a banner year.  I would be surprised if he didn't throw another 35 or so this season.

Campbell should be okay - probably around 20 TDs and 12 INT with the new system and I think he'll play almost every game.  If you want to stack your RB and WR positions early and hold out for a decent QB later, Campbell or Garrard won't be bad picks at all (but they won't be spectactular).  There are a lot of weird situations with QBs to start this year so I think you can definetely get some value off the waiver wire by week 4, too.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 07:30:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

But your wrong. If I remember correct, you live somewhere near Philly. So maybe you have some insight on McNabb and the offense that some of the rest of us don't have. Do you think #10 is about right for Donovan or too high?

I wish I followed the team closely enough to give some insight.  I think you have him pegged just about right, in the 8 to 10 range.  He'll put up some monster games this year, but probably a few clunkers, too; that's seemed to be him M.O. in recent seasons.

Now, if you want some *real* insight, ask me about the Bears QB situation.  Why, Kyle Orton might be worth a 30th round pick.  Maybe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I wish I followed the team closely enough to give some insight.  I think you have him pegged just about right, in the 8 to 10 range.  He'll put up some monster games this year, but probably a few clunkers, too; that's seemed to be him M.O. in recent seasons.

Now, if you want some *real* insight, ask me about the Bears QB situation.  Why, Kyle Orton might be worth a 30th round pick.  Maybe.

Unfortunately, I am a huge Bears fan and know the Orton/Grossman/Hanie saga all to well. I am big on Matt Forte, but my RB list will come in a few days.

Larry Bird