Poll

Would you  trade Jaylen Brown with a first for jimmy Butler if it keeps Kyrie with the Celtics?

Yes
3 (4.5%)
No
57 (85.1%)
Only if Jimmy  and Kyrie  signed long term with thr Celtics
7 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: If it meant keeping Kyrie, would you trade Jaylen Brown for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 18455 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It really depends on who Danny values more, but he can't do nothing.

If it came out that Kyrie was going to leave if we did not acquire Butler, he would either a) trade Brown for Butler or, b) trade Kyrie for KAT/Kawhi/disgruntled All-star.

Under no circumstance could I see Danny playing out the year and then letting Kyrie walk for nothing. He values his assets too much. As much as I love Brown, the combination of Kyrie and Butler is better than just Brown.

Personally I would prefer option B.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 10:40:13 AM by jambr380 »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just to clarify, maybe a cap expert could help me out.

My understanding is that the Wolves would be over the luxury tax with this trade.
My understanding is also that, in a sign-and-trade, the player signed and going out only counts for half the salary in the trade.

In other words, even if we were able to sign Smart to a 14 million dollar contract, and trade him with Morris, Nader, and Yabu (and picks) to the Wolves, the trade would work (16,432,842 in Celtic outgoing salary and 20,445,779 incoming salary is within the 125% limit).

The problem is that even though Smart's salary only counts as 7 million for trade purposes, it still counts as 14 million against their salary cap, which gets them close to the luxury tax threshhold.

By my count, if the Wolves did that trade (and signed Georges-Hunt who they like), they would have 15 players under contract (renounce all free agents) and be in the luxury tax by $924,063. Not a lot, but for team that is looking at the possibility of repeater penalties in the future, it'd be good to get under that. If they waived Nader (400,000 guaranteed), they would get under the tax by $54,179.

Wolves Starters: Teague, Smart, Wiggins, Gibson, KAT
Wolves Bench: Morris, Tolliver, Dieng, Patton, Jones, Okogie, Yabusele, Rose, Georges-Hunt

In my opinion, that trade doesn't make sense for the Wolves unless they at least get back Rozier and then trade Teague in a salary dump, but that was the general numbers for it.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd acquire Butler and wouldn't give it much thought.  He is a very good 2 way player in the same tier as Irving and Hayward in the league. 

It would probably mean that Horford would have to be traded next summer, but I'm ok with taking the championship shot this year.

And I would absolutely trade Brown in the trade if that is what it took.

So basically Butler for Brown, Morris, Yabu, and Nader (I think that is enough salary but if not add Semi).

Post-Trade - Main 2 deep rotation
PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Butler, Smart
SF - Hayward, Tatum
PF - Horford, Theis
C - Baynes, Williams 

That team if everyone is healthy and back to where they were would be a real threat to the Warriors and the very heavy and clear favorites in the East.  Even if the Sixers acquired Leonard (for basically Saric, Covington, and 1sts) that C's team would still be the favorites in the East.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Absolutely not.

Jaylen Brown will easily be a young Jimmy Butler, and would cost cheaper to retain. I'd trade Kyrie if it comes down to it. Rather keep the guy who's only 21 and who's game is growing year by year.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
No.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I don't think it would be all that bad if Kyrie walked.

His next deal will be fairly risky. He'll want a huge contract, and his durability is questionable. He is our only important player who isn't a plus defender.

His primary value as an unstoppable scorer won't be so important in two years. It will be time to turn over the keys to Tatum and Brown anyway, and I prefer the idea of having a defensive wall of big, athletic wing players, with Horford/Williams/Theis as a backstop. We'd still have Hayward as a decision maker, and we will have whatever we end up with after the 2019 draft. We could keep Rozier and/or Smart for situational matchups, and we would be in an very enviable situation with cap space.

I'm not sure we wouldn't be better off without him

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No. I assume if this were the ultimatum DA was faced with, he'd find a package for Kyrie
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Everybody is trying hard to get Brown off this team.  First in a possible trade for Leonard, now for Butler.

If Butler is interested in joining the Celtics, then he and Kyrie can sign contracts when their current one runs out.  I'm not trading a younger, and still improving, potential All-Star for the reputation of any player's past accomplishments. 

If it only takes a combination of bench players and a pick or two, then I'm open...especially if it helps us keep Kyrie. 

Guess things have quieted down about Leonard, so we have to focus on another guy, huh?

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Brown is 7 years younger.  He will be going into his age 22 season.  Bulter's age 22 season was his rookie year and he barely played.  Brown played better last year than Bulter did in his second year while 2 years younger.  Brown arguably played better in his age 21 season than Butler did in his age 24 season.

Trading Brown for Butler would be shortsighted.  Never mind the fact we would have to send out other players to match salary.  The Celtics are set up to be contenders for a long time.  Let's not trade that away.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would like to keep Brown.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'd acquire Butler and wouldn't give it much thought.  He is a very good 2 way player in the same tier as Irving and Hayward in the league. 

It would probably mean that Horford would have to be traded next summer, but I'm ok with taking the championship shot this year.

And I would absolutely trade Brown in the trade if that is what it took.

So basically Butler for Brown, Morris, Yabu, and Nader (I think that is enough salary but if not add Semi).

Post-Trade - Main 2 deep rotation
PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Butler, Smart
SF - Hayward, Tatum
PF - Horford, Theis
C - Baynes, Williams 

That team if everyone is healthy and back to where they were would be a real threat to the Warriors and the very heavy and clear favorites in the East.  Even if the Sixers acquired Leonard (for basically Saric, Covington, and 1sts) that C's team would still be the favorites in the East.

You’d last about 30 seconds as an NBA GM. I could at least appreciate the argument of that trade 1-2 seasons ago. But now?  C’mon.

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Hell no!!

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
No. If Kyrie doesn’t want to be here, trade him.

Curious as to who said he didn't want to be here? The media? A few media clowns pick up a brush to paint this picture and everyone else jumps in to help complete it when Kyrie has NEVER said he doesn't want to be here.  Secondly, I wouldn't be so quick to trade the best PG we've had here in Boston since Tiny.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
nope.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
No. Jimmy Butler is what 29 years old coming off meniscus surgery.  Let me amend that. Hell no.