Author Topic: Trade Idea - Love to Sixers  (Read 2998 times)

Re: Trade Idea - Love to Sixers
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Cavs will trade Love but im thinking Portland or Clippers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I wouldn't do that trade if I'm the Sixers.  Love and Redick in the starting lineup would kill their defense.
Maybe, maybe not, but it would make their offense significantly better and frankly they aren't defending all that well right now anyway.
So you propose a trade to ensure that their defensive doesn't get better.  Coach Brown is all about defense, pace and space.  Love only fits only one of those criteria.  The Sixers are trying to compete for championships which requires solid defense.  They'd easily get bounced in the 2nd round again with Love and Redick in the starting lineup.
The Cavs didn't have any issue winning a title with Love's defense and they had Irving and Smith starting with him (and it isn't like Thompson is a great defender and James had already started his defensive decline).  I think the defense argument is vastly overblown.  If the Sixers win a title it will be because of their offense and the match-up problems a monster like Embiid is in the post and a gigantic point guard like Simmons causes (along with Butler's defense on the opposing great wings like James, Leonard, etc.).  But in order for that to really work, they need the floor spacing that Love and Redick provide.  Offense quite simply is far more important to winning basketball then defense in the modern game.  You have to be able to hit 3 point shots or you aren't going to play effective winning basketball in the postseason.
The Cavs won 1 of 4 finals against GSW due to Lebron's greatness.  If they had better defender's they might have won more.  Besides the poor defense, you ignore that Love is 30 with a big, long contract and quite injury prone.  There is also no guarantee that Butler won't be a 1 year rental.  If I'm the Sixers all things considered, I much prefer Chandler to Love. 

The Sixers should save their ~20M in cap space for the offseason.  I expect there to be some nice players available at the trade deadline and they still have their room exception. 

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I wouldn't do that trade if I'm the Sixers.  Love and Redick in the starting lineup would kill their defense.
Maybe, maybe not, but it would make their offense significantly better and frankly they aren't defending all that well right now anyway.
So you propose a trade to ensure that their defensive doesn't get better.  Coach Brown is all about defense, pace and space.  Love only fits only one of those criteria.  The Sixers are trying to compete for championships which requires solid defense.  They'd easily get bounced in the 2nd round again with Love and Redick in the starting lineup.
The Cavs didn't have any issue winning a title with Love's defense and they had Irving and Smith starting with him (and it isn't like Thompson is a great defender and James had already started his defensive decline).  I think the defense argument is vastly overblown.  If the Sixers win a title it will be because of their offense and the match-up problems a monster like Embiid is in the post and a gigantic point guard like Simmons causes (along with Butler's defense on the opposing great wings like James, Leonard, etc.).  But in order for that to really work, they need the floor spacing that Love and Redick provide.  Offense quite simply is far more important to winning basketball then defense in the modern game.  You have to be able to hit 3 point shots or you aren't going to play effective winning basketball in the postseason.
The Cavs won 1 of 4 finals against GSW due to Lebron's greatness.  If they had better defender's they might have won more.  Besides the poor defense, you ignore that Love is 30 with a big, long contract and quite injury prone.  There is also no guarantee that Butler won't be a 1 year rental.  If I'm the Sixers all things considered, I much prefer Chandler to Love. 

The Sixers should save their ~20M in cap space for the offseason.  I expect there to be some nice players available at the trade deadline and they still have their room exception.
If they did that trade and Butler leaves, they will still have max cap room, or at least very close to it as they would only have Love, Embiid, Simmons, Smith, Shamet, Bolden, and Korver's buy out on the books.  They could also keep McConnell's cap hold on the books, have their 1st round pick (if they get Sacto's that would complicate it), and could then just have the empty roster cap charges of like 800k to get to the minimum roster.  That leaves them max or just about max cap room depending on what the cap actually ends up being.  And that essentially means they acquire Love for Fultz, which I think is a net gain for a team trying to compete for a title (and also is a net gain the other way for a team that is rebuilding).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

If they did that trade and Butler leaves, they will still have max cap room, or at least very close to it as they would only have Love, Embiid, Simmons, Smith, Shamet, Bolden, and Korver's buy out on the books.  They could also keep McConnell's cap hold on the books, have their 1st round pick (if they get Sacto's that would complicate it), and could then just have the empty roster cap charges of like 800k to get to the minimum roster.  That leaves them max or just about max cap room depending on what the cap actually ends up being.  And that essentially means they acquire Love for Fultz, which I think is a net gain for a team trying to compete for a title (and also is a net gain the other way for a team that is rebuilding).
You do realize Love is injured yet again.  31 year old Love at $30M per season for 4 seasons is not something any team should want. 

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Huge contract going be hard to move
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't think this helps either team. Also don't see the 76ers making any more major moves

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 07:03:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

You do realize Love is injured yet again.  31 year old Love at $30M per season for 4 seasons is not something any team should want.
apparently my opening post in the thread wasn't good enough for you to know my thoughts about Love being injured

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

apparently my opening post in the thread wasn't good enough for you to know my thoughts about Love being injured
The point is Love is on his way to a 3rd straight season of missing more than 20 games.  That's not someone any team should invest 4yr/120M into. 

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The point is Love is on his way to a 3rd straight season of missing more than 20 games.  That's not someone any team should invest 4yr/120M into.
you mean like a team that invested in Embiid.  And for the record, Butler has played in more than 67 games twice in his career and is currently nursing a nagging injury from his off season surgery.

Apparently their injuries are ok, but not Love's.  Seems strange to me. 

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 08:03:38 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Love to Celtics ...we need scoring.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

you mean like a team that invested in Embiid.  And for the record, Butler has played in more than 67 games twice in his career and is currently nursing a nagging injury from his off season surgery.

Apparently their injuries are ok, but not Love's.  Seems strange to me.
Embiid is 24 and having an MVP caliber season.  The Sixers also were able to put some injury protection into his contract.   Butler is a top 15 player and will slot in as their #2 option.  There is certainly a concern with him especially due to Thibs overuse of players.  However IMO it is worth the risk.  Love isn't close to Butler in performance.  They'd be paying 4yr/120M for a #4 option.  They should be able to get a #4 option for significantly cheaper than that who is less of an injury risk and most likely plays better defense than Love.     

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Love to Celtics ...we need scoring.
Who are you going to trade for him?