Author Topic: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child  (Read 22449 times)

Re: Hayward will have to leave bubble for birth of 4th child
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
It's an easy decision for sure.

But yeah I also agree with some. If this happens during some elimination Game 6, or a Game 7. Ugh  :(

Kind of like when Al Horford missed time for the birth of his child and Felger complained about it for weeks  :laugh:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 12:47:24 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So it would be a 4 day quarantine after returning, plus however many days he actually misses for the event itself. In the middle of a 2nd or third round. Tough break.

But can't really blame him, family should come first.

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
It's an easy decision for sure.

But yeah I also agree with some. If this happens during some elimination Game 6, or a Game 7. Ugh  :(

Kind of like when Al Horford missed time for the birth of his child and Felger complained about it for weeks  :laugh:

Lol Felger was on the news this week after saying he hopes Cam Newton doesn't "showboat" or excessively celebrate here like he did with the Panthers. It was even talked about on national sports shows and social media.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 01:13:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Good that he is thinking family first. C's will likely be trading him this off season anyways.

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So it would be a 4 day quarantine after returning, plus however many days he actually misses for the event itself. In the middle of a 2nd or third round. Tough break.

Sounds like 4 day quarantine plus ~3 days for travel and being there for the birth, so a week.

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 01:25:32 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Good new is Hayward should be able to take a private plane to boston ( minimal exposure to people), ride right to Hospital, then once at Hospital he is not allowed to leave the maternity ward and return. This means he will be in a very controlled environment then get back on plane and back to orlando. This seems like the type of scenario that allows for 4 day quarantine. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So we are probably talking about 3 games or so. The length of each series is only about two weeks. If he misses ~6 days, then 3 games will probably be the minimum.

Good that he is thinking family first. C's will likely be trading him this off season anyways.

Eh, going to be hard to offload that contract - even if it is only for one year. If he and the Cs can't come to an agreement on a reasonable extension, then I am all for trading him. Staying under the tax this next season will be key as we have a prime opportunity to re-start the clock as we head into the prime year of the Jays. Good for him that he is a family man - you have to set your priorities - but if we lose a close series and he misses half of it, then good riddance.

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I mean family comes first and I get that. But man, his contract has been atrocious when you think about it. He should be traded out, considering we have a lot of players on the team who can play this redundant position.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 07:37:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Some of the takes here are quite hilarious. Get a grip.

God forbid anyone wants to see the birth of their child instead of playing a few games of basketball for a team that in all likelihood sees them as nothing but an asset ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 08:29:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Real story here is  that his foot still is sore.  That's unfortunate. Hope he shines.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Real story here is  that his foot still is sore.  That's unfortunate. Hope he shines.

Yeah, and also that it may likely be sore forever going forward

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 10:47:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

God forbid anyone wants to see the birth of their child instead of playing a few games of basketball for a team that in all likelihood sees them as nothing but an asset ::)

You don't need to sound so arrogant. Being upset that the most expensive player we've ever signed in our history (and was a complete failure of a signing for the 1st two years of his contract) is choosing not to play at the most important time of year for our team, is a bit disheartening. Yeah, I get it, he wants to see the birth of his child; but this is a far cry from the sacrifices a guy like IT made for his health and the death of his sister.

I get why he is checked out - Boston hasn't been the most positive experience for him - but knowing in advance that a chance at a championship just went out the window kinda blows.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 11:23:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

You don't need to sound so arrogant. Being upset that the most expensive player we've ever signed in our history (and was a complete failure of a signing for the 1st two years of his contract) is choosing not to play at the most important time of year for our team, is a bit disheartening. Yeah, I get it, he wants to see the birth of his child; but this is a far cry from the sacrifices a guy like IT made for his health and the death of his sister.

I get why he is checked out - Boston hasn't been the most positive experience for him - but knowing in advance that a chance at a championship just went out the window kinda blows.
And acting as if the entire season is over because he’ll miss less than a week in all likelihood isn’t arrogant? That’s making the very bold assumption that the season even lasts that long, given how much of a disaster the US is.

That whole IT thing is pretty funny to bring up. I bet in hindsight IT wouldn’t have acted as he did if he knew he’d be tossed aside. I also bet Gordy took note of that. Ainge doesn’t seem to treat any players like actual people, so I don’t at all hold it against a guy when he returns the favour.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2020, 02:02:04 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Its been reported by multiple sources that Hayward whose wife is due in Sept will be leaving the bubble for the birth of his 4th child.

Good news is that multiple sources including Keith Smith are reporting that the NBA will shorted the required quarantine for returning players depending on the circumstances.

Could set up a nice dramatic return game for Hayward deep into the Cs playoff run.

Do you know what the time frame is on players needing to sit out after returning to the bubble? Hayward's first two seasons here were pretty much a complete sunk cost to the Cs. He has obviously been more promising this one, but if he is going to miss the entire ECF because he is choosing to leave, then that will be pretty disappointing. If the Cs look like they have a real chance of going the distance, then Hayward should do everything he can to make himself available. It sounds crass (and I'm glad there are no longer negative TPs), but it is his 4th child. Robyn is doing this in her sleep at this point.

1st child or 4th child, it really shouldn't matter.   It's more important than a game.

Game? Here I thought it was his job that pays him MIILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2020, 02:06:19 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WHY do these players get paid millions. Does he get paid for the missed games or not?