Author Topic: Scal is a horrible announcer  (Read 6318 times)

Re: Scal is a horrible announcer
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Tommy just called Jaylen Rose’s great reverse dunk.

Hilarious! I thought I heard that and said nah...

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Could not disagree more.
Scal actually understands modern basketball and has regular contact with the coaching staff and players from our team and other teams around the NBA. He has a pulse as a league insider.

Scal and Gorman are an amazing duo.
You can feel Gorman actually enjoying himself when he's on with Scal- the guy is a basketball nerd like most of us...Compare Scal and Gorman's vibe vs the forced laughter and good cop/bad cop routine that rambling old Heinsohn dribbles on with while Gorman babysits him and ignores his repeated errors, homerism and repetitiveness.

Scal is one of the best announcers on TV and is so much better than Tommy.
Tommy was okay a few years back but he's just so out of touch and so biased (both purposely and instinctively) and it's cringe worthy.

You will learn about the game of basketball while hearing background stories about this young and growing team with Scal. He's a team insider. Tommy is an old guy with little clue about the modern game of basketball.

Hearing him scream 'Jaylen Rose with the slam!' or whatever he said when Brown did the Jordan dunk just left me shaking my head.

They need to lead the old horse to the glue factory.

I hate to say it but Tommy sucks.
Scal is just way, way better and actually fun to listen to.

Just my opinion.

My two most hated announcers: Matt Harpring (former Jazz player who announces Jazz games now) uugggghhh.
And Hubie 'mr obvious' Brown.

Hubie Brown makes me want to throw my TV out the window.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:26:38 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Tommy is funny to me. 

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:34 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I can't stand Scal as an announcer either.  He does okay on XM Radio as a talk show co-host, but his in-game announcing is unbearable for me.  My friend and I have both concluded that  if they made Scal the Celtic's full-time color commentator then we'd honestly only watch/listen to the national games.

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Love Scal...it's Cris Collingsworth I can't watch even when the Pats are winning.  I also can't stand Reggie Miller and Chris Webber when the Celtics play Cleveland. Their Lebron crush kills me.

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I can understand why Tommy or Scal may not satisfy some people's tastes - but to me, Tommy is a C's Treasure and should be relished as long as he can make it to the games.  Even if he did them from home, I'd be happy with it.  And Scal is a former C and does have some good insights.  I generally hate announcers with a passion in all the sports I watch but Mike and Tommy and Scal are by far my favorites.

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Could not disagree more.
Scal actually understands modern basketball and has regular contact with the coaching staff and players from our team and other teams around the NBA. He has a pulse as a league insider.

Scal and Gorman are an amazing duo.
You can feel Gorman actually enjoying himself when he's on with Scal- the guy is a basketball nerd like most of us...Compare Scal and Gorman's vibe vs the forced laughter and good cop/bad cop routine that rambling old Heinsohn dribbles on with while Gorman babysits him and ignores his repeated errors, homerism and repetitiveness.

Scal is one of the best announcers on TV and is so much better than Tommy.
Tommy was okay a few years back but he's just so out of touch and so biased (both purposely and instinctively) and it's cringe worthy.

You will learn about the game of basketball while hearing background stories about this young and growing team with Scal. He's a team insider. Tommy is an old guy with little clue about the modern game of basketball.

Hearing him scream 'Jaylen Rose with the slam!' or whatever he said when Brown did the Jordan dunk just left me shaking my head.

They need to lead the old horse to the glue factory.

I hate to say it but Tommy sucks.
Scal is just way, way better and actually fun to listen to.

Just my opinion.

My two most hated announcers: Matt Harpring (former Jazz player who announces Jazz games now) uugggghhh.

TP.  Agreed on all fronts. 

Scal is the man!!

As a former asst coach in Golden State under Mark Jackson's crazy regime, and of course being a 2008 NBA champion -- his insider status is unparalleled.   Also love the old-school NJ Nets stories when he played with prime Jason Kidd. 

Few former C's bring that kind of resume to the table.  For this generation of NBA fans, he has really seen it all.  And it's also funny that he does hair-plug commercials.  I mean, what's not to like?!?

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Wow, good response to the thread, I just checked back and was surprised to see so many posts. Here's the thing, I liked Scal as a player, but just find him to be way to goofy as an announcer. I also do not think he brings great insight, far from it. I also agree with those who suggested flipping around the league pass, as there are many, downright, embarrassingly poor announcers out there. I just feel they could do better. Regarding Tommy, we Celtics fans love him, even though we know he is a complete homer most of the time. I have other friends (not Celtics fans) who think he is by far the worst announcer of all time and their level of hatred toward him is sort of comical. I send them pictures of Tommy sometimes just to p--- them off.

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Also, just to add, as much of a homer as Tommy is, and he is a big one no denying it, when you watch some of these other tools around the league you quickly begin to notice that he is not the only homer out there. The nice thing about Tommy is that he is also very knowledgeable and interesting most of the time. I like Gorman but do feel he can be replaced. I just wish they would get McHale out of the studio talking with I.Thomas and Webber seems out of place.

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

You mean Hubie Brown-noser?  Yeah, I hate him, too, lol :laugh:.

I completely disagree about Scal, though.  Dude's atrocious in the booth and the studio.  Not only is he constantly yelling, but all he ever says is "move the ball side to side" and "pick and roll", not to mention the fact that he tries to make everything dramatic, has no timing, and offers nothing of value, imo.  Even his attempts at humor are often just awkward and horrendous.  It's like someone who laughs at their own jokes somehow got on the air.  He's like a worse version of Rachel Maddow in that regard.  Gorman just sits there and waits for the moment to pass as Scal cackles.  Like seriously, tone it down, broheim :laugh:. At least Tommy's hilarious.

Mike is by far the best play-by-play guy in the league, though, imo.  His timing is impeccable and he always knows when to describe a play or just let it unfold and comment afterwards, if at all.  Most play-by-play guys now seem to have a need to narrate every possession as if they don't realize that they are, in fact, on TV as opposed to the radio, and then there are guys like Max and Mark Jackson who think that saying "the basketball" after everything somehow makes them sound more intelligent, when, in fact, the result is just the opposite.  Well, to me, anyway :-\.

Other dudes are simply too predictable and their egos are out of control, like Kenny Smith.  The guy acts like he's one of the 50 greatest players of all time ::). Seriously, all that you have to be able to to mimic that guy is begin your first sentence after EJ asks for your thoughts on whatever with, "I think the one thing..." ::) That's it.  Awful.  I really enjoy Zeke and McHale together, though, aside from Kevin saying that teams have to find "an/their identity" far too often, imo.  I just think that there are other, and better, ways, of making that same point, but that's really it.  Plus, I've always liked Isiah's commentary, even going back to his days on NBC, and to see him and McHale shooting the breeze after all these years is really cool, imo.

Marshall seems to be better cut for a national broadcast. He seems to be doing college basketball on Fox these days, though I have no idea how he's doing since I don't watch colelge sports.

It's interesting...::)

I turn the volume off when they have Scalabrine.

Good to know I'm not alone.

Lol, same :laugh:.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:50:37 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The guy who announces the MIA games is 100X worse than Scal.