Author Topic: Shams: C’s/Kyrie to Meet to Discuss Future Before Draft  (Read 10029 times)

Re: Shams: C’s/Kyrie to Meet to Discuss Future Before Draft
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2019, 04:37:27 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Are you kidding me??

Why the hell was this not planned like 2 weeks ago. You know, when there was a chance to trade for AD...  ???

Probably because the meeting is just a formality.  The Celts will say hey, we're willing to have you back at the full max or whatever.

Irving will say, No thanks I'm going to take meetings with other teams and probably sign elsewhere.

There probably won't be a report that comes out following the meeting saying he's definitely gone, but I think that will be the gist of the conversation.  Kyrie may have considered returning if the Celts made moves to upgrade the roster / exchange youth for vets, but based on everything we've heard I don't think there's any reason to think he'll be interested in coming back.
Agreed. The meeting is a formality. Just the proper way of doing business.

He's not obligated to take to this meeting. Free agency doesn't even start until June 30th.

I don't recall Gordon meeting with Utah brass before free agency started back in 2017.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Are you kidding me??

Why the hell was this not planned like 2 weeks ago. You know, when there was a chance to trade for AD...  ???

Probably because the meeting is just a formality.  The Celts will say hey, we're willing to have you back at the full max or whatever.

Irving will say, No thanks I'm going to take meetings with other teams and probably sign elsewhere.

There probably won't be a report that comes out following the meeting saying he's definitely gone, but I think that will be the gist of the conversation.  Kyrie may have considered returning if the Celts made moves to upgrade the roster / exchange youth for vets, but based on everything we've heard I don't think there's any reason to think he'll be interested in coming back.
Agreed. The meeting is a formality. Just the proper way of doing business.

Feelings aside, I'd really love to be a fly on the wall in meetings like this. See how people hold themselves, who's doing most of the talking, who's present, how it all goes down, etc.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2019, 04:41:12 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Not even sure why this is necessary... I would love the team to just cancel the meeting and wish him good luck with his future endeavors.

Honestly all this make the team look desperate

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Who do the lakers have that the celtics would want in a sign and trade?

Davis.

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yeah lets help the Lakers get more banners just so we can get a measly DPE

are people serious when they type this stuff?

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Not even sure why this is necessary... I would love the team to just cancel the meeting and wish him good luck with his future endeavors.

so they cancel a meeting with an all-star under contract because some people in the media floated the idea that he is signing with brooklyn? wow.

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
So do people want DA to do his due diligence or not? 

Some of the stuff on here in mind-numbing at times.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 04:50:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I was wondering about that a bit. They already did exit interviews so there’s not much for Ainge to say other than to try to pitch him on Boston and what they’ll change. If I were Ainge that’d be a shot to my pride to have to go through the motions of groveling to this guy when I k ow he’s out the door, but it’s business and I think the meeting will be a formality.

Ainge will outline their plan if he comes back present a full max deal and Irving will, in a professional manner, indicate that he does plan to take meetings with other teams. Then before he signs with the Nets he will likely call Ainge and inform him he’s chosen to go elsewhere.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 04:57:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Don't underestimate the fact that the Celtics can offer him more money than anyone else.

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Don't underestimate the fact that the Celtics can offer him more money than anyone else.

Yeah, I think people are premature in writing this off. It’s probably more likely than not that he’s gone in July, but it does not follow that this would necessarily be a meeting where he informs them of this.

You can even make the argument that after the injuries to KD and Klay and seeing AD go to LAL (instead of NY or Brooklyn) that Kyrie may think his best long-term play is to re-up with Boston for the five-year max, as if it still doesn’t work out this year he can always demand a trade like he did in Cleveland.

I’ve said all along that Brooklyn doesn’t make much sense with no other major star acquisition.

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 05:05:30 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

This is what I can't understand. Based on his injury history, why would he be willing to forfeit roughly $50M in guaranteed money. Kyrie already walked away from that type of money with Cleveland. I can't see him doing it a second time. Does anyone know how much money Kyrie could have signed for if he was still with Cleveland this offseason, as compared to what he would be eligible with the Celtics or a new team? Are we talking around an $80M difference or more?

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Plus 1000, I can barely tolerate some of the nonsense on here right now.

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2019, 05:09:49 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Naw..not really.

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Also don’t underestimate the reports from every credible guy in the nba world saying he’s gone
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2019, 05:15:52 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Honestly, there is a large segment of the fan base, and many on here, I am flat out disgusted by.  They are an embarrassment.