Author Topic: Point Guard Options  (Read 5562 times)

Re: Point Guard Options
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I was listening to the Real Gm Podcast with Danny leroux and Sam Vecenie and one of them suggested a Gordon Hayward + picks for Conley trade. Their contracts are nearly identical (1+1) and swapping them would balance out each team. Give a nice wing option to pair with Morant/JJJ and a PG to pair with the Jays+Horford. They seemed to think it would be Hayward+22+20, but two picks does seem steep. Although Conley was really good and would be dynamite with Horford. It's just hard not knowing what GH will be next year.

Conley is very injury prone and he's 31.

He played more games than Kyrie did last year. He had arguably the best year of his career. Horford is 32 and I don't see any argument against having him back.

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I want Jrue Holiday.

I don't know how we can get him, or how much it will cost, but I want him here. Very good player, very underrated.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2019, 01:19:14 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I was listening to the Real Gm Podcast with Danny leroux and Sam Vecenie and one of them suggested a Gordon Hayward + picks for Conley trade. Their contracts are nearly identical (1+1) and swapping them would balance out each team. Give a nice wing option to pair with Morant/JJJ and a PG to pair with the Jays+Horford. They seemed to think it would be Hayward+22+20, but two picks does seem steep. Although Conley was really good and would be dynamite with Horford. It's just hard not knowing what GH will be next year.

Conley is very injury prone and he's 31.

He's had some injuries, but he's healthy now, he's coming off as good a year as he's ever had, and the commitment would be for only 2 years. He's a terrific athlete, and there is no reason to worry about him declining much in such a short time.

Particularly if we got AD, I think it would be the best opportunity to put a super competitive team on the floor that would appeal to Davis and make him resign. He is absolutely everything Kyrie isn't. 

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »

Offline bigperm47

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
Gordon isnt going anywhere.  There is no way that they will trade him after luring him to sign.

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Speaking of PG- Larking is having an absolute monster year in Europe.

TP. Nice find. From the stats that I saw, it appears that Shane has become a much better shooter. I hope that Danny does his due diligence on him.

I'm sure Boston will take a serious look at Larkin, just as they have in the past, but unless he's grown 3 or 4 inches this season I don't see his role being any different that it was when he was here before.

I like his game and his energy off the bench, but I think he'd still be a situational player. If Irving and Rozier are gone there is a need for a starting quality point guard on the team.

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2019, 08:18:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/05/18/rumor-miami-heat-will-target-mike-conley-in-trade/

Looks like Conley will be out of discussion.
Wonder what this means for Dragic? He had an injury-plagued year after being an All-Star the prior season and a fringe All-Star the season before that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:32 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/05/18/rumor-miami-heat-will-target-mike-conley-in-trade/

Wonder what this means for Dragic? He had an injury-plagued year after being an All-Star the prior season and a fringe All-Star the season before that

Dragic is a player who could be available during the buy-out period this season, assuming he opts-in. He's entering the last year of a 18M contract. He's 33 and a little banged up, but he played well after coming back this year.

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2019, 12:21:08 PM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
Gordon isnt going anywhere.  There is no way that they will trade him after luring him to sign.

If they ever found a taker for Hayward and Danny doesn't do it for that reason, it would be the absolute worse decision he would have ever made here.

And this post after what he did to IT while giving his all in the playoffs hurt, which destroyed his career and after his sister died. 

el o el, man

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2019, 12:59:17 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

How does MIA get it done? They have the 13th pick but all their salary is bad. And why? Conley isn't making them a contender

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 01:05:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

wouldn't be surprised if he is the one to go with a draft pick for Conley Jr.

Then Memphis try to get whatever scraps they can for Dragic

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
https://www.inquisitr.com/5459231/nba-trade-rumors-magic-could-acquire-mike-conley-for-package-centered-on-mo-bamba-per-bleacher-report/

I was kind of hoping that if Irving wanted to go to one of the LA teams, that the Celtics would do a s&t  that would be something like this (assuming it's legal):

LAC or LAL get Irving + one of our #1s

Memphis gets one of our #1s plus Yabusele plus 2nd round pick from LAC or LAL

Boston gets Conley

The question is whether Memphis wants to be better next year or very young and a possible candidate to have the league's worst record and guarantee that next year's #1 won't convey? The Orlando trade would add Bamba, Fournier, and Augustin to Valanciunas, Jackson, Bradley and Morant which might just make them good enough so that their pick conveys. My assumption is that neither the Nets or Knicks would cooperate with us in this kind of move even for a #1. Memphis may request their own pick back but that would be a deal killer for me.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 09:54:50 AM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://www.inquisitr.com/5459231/nba-trade-rumors-magic-could-acquire-mike-conley-for-package-centered-on-mo-bamba-per-bleacher-report/

I was kind of hoping that if Irving wanted to go to one of the LA teams, that the Celtics would do a s&t  that would be something like this (assuming it's legal):

LAC or LAL get Irving + one of our #1s

Memphis gets one of our #1s plus Yabusele plus 2nd round pick from LAC or LAL

Boston gets Conley

The question is whether Memphis wants to be better next year or very young and a possible candidate to have the league's worst record and guarantee that next year's #1 won't convey? The Orlando trade would add Bamba, Fournier, and Augustin to Valanciunas, Jackson, Bradley and Morant which might just make them good enough so that their pick conveys. My assumption is that neither the Nets or Knicks would cooperate with us in this kind of move even for a #1. Memphis may request their own pick back but that would be a deal killer for me.

The thing we have to keep in mind is that because of Base Year Compensation rules, Kyrie will only count as ~$20M in outgoing salary, not what he would be signing for on a new max contract. It might be possible to get there with Yabu (another $3.1M) and using the salary in the picks you are sending out, but then we are stuck waiting until 7/31 to consummate the deal.

I do think the idea of enticing another team to do a s&t with Irving using a non-premium pick is interesting. I liked it better when I thought we were getting a $32.7M TPE instead of a $20.1M TPE, but you can still bring in a pretty good player without needing to match salaries that way. Your deal above just about gets us to Conley. I should note that if we do somehow get a TPE (instead of the trade created above), it cannot be combined with other players to bring in a higher salary.

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 10:29:06 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
If all else fails, i really like Darren Collison..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If Kyrie walks, I wouldn’t mind Beverly. He’s a good 3-and-D option that should be available for the MLE. He can play starter minutes and definitely has the grit and savviness to help us win games.

Still make the trade for AD. Presumably they want Tatum and we can keep Brown, so a lineup of Beverly/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Davis would be a well-balanced unit. If we can keep Smart out of the deal, I’d be ok with him running the point for half his playing time.

I assume Baynes would be the salary filler (I’m guessing something along the lines of Tatum/Baynes/Yabu/Williams/#14/#20/MEM), so getting a vet big besides resigning Theis would be a priority, along with a decent wing.
CELTICS 2024