Author Topic: 2016 NCAA Tournament  (Read 41347 times)

Re: 2016 NCAA Tournament
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2016, 06:46:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The think about Brown is that his intangibles are also a red flag so I'd pass. Can't play + no effort no please

Yeah.

I'm all for drafting guys who can play the 3, but I think there'll be better options for that in the middle of the 1st round.   You have to be able to shoot and defend to be a 3-and-D guy, and there's no telling if Brown will be able to do either.

This Michigan State game is funny.

A team of teenagers getting beaten up by a team featuring fully grown men.  Darnell Harris is 24 years old.  About the same age as half of the Celtics roster.  He'll be selling cars or adjusting insurance claims a couple years from now.
But right now he just busted a #2 seed and made those "teenagers" (Their 3 best players, Costello, Valentine and Forbes, are all 22) cry. I take it you're a Spartans fan?

I just think it's funny.  NCAA basketball is a big mess, but for two weeks every year we pretend its exciting and the results of this tourney mean something.

Yeah, its called being a sports fan.

I'm a fan of lots of sports, but I find NCAA basketball to be mostly chaotic and ugly, and I think March Madness is more about rampant betting and providing casual fans with the spectacle of inevitable upsets than anything else.

I'm a fan of basketball, and a lot of what ends up on the TV this time of March is on par with a Suns - Sixers match.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2016, 07:10:49 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Ok? The results of every sports game don't actually mean anything, and you have posted 12144 times pretending the NBA means something.

Yeah, that's the thing, I think the NBA is much more interesting and meaningful than NCAA basketball.  I really don't care about the NCAA as more than a passing amusement except for scouting potential NBA prospects. 

Shocker, I hold that opinion as a frequent poster on an NBA fan forum.
Just because you find the NBA more interesting doesn't mean you should be belittling NCAA fans. Saying "we pretend its exciting and that the results mean anything" might be true for you, so say I don't find it exciting and then stop watching the games and posting on a thread titled 2016 NCAA Tournament.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2016, 07:21:29 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
How does Jaylen Brown only end up with 4 points in his last game? Cs should stay clear. Take Buddy if we end up with the 4th pick.

Payton II looked good. Cs take him with the 2nd rounder Philly pick.

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2016, 07:35:57 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
How does Jaylen Brown only end up with 4 points in his last game? Cs should stay clear. Take Buddy if we end up with the 4th pick.

Lol. I'd love buddy or Murray. But brown seems like ainge's kinda guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he took him 2nd over all. Heck, Danny wanted Winslow 4th last year!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2016, 08:08:15 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Lol. I'd love buddy or Murray. But brown seems like ainge's kinda guy. I wouldn't be surprised if he took him 2nd over all. Heck, Danny wanted Winslow 4th last year!

Ainge was at the Cal/'Zona game a couple of weeks ago.

Bill Walton was announcing and was as unbiased as Tommy's announcing for us, singing Brown's praises, despite a non-spectacular performance. I know Bill was buzzed, but it was a little over the top. That Cal team is a bunch of underachievers.

TP, acie.

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2016, 08:46:21 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
The think about Brown is that his intangibles are also a red flag so I'd pass. Can't play + no effort no please

Yeah.

I'm all for drafting guys who can play the 3, but I think there'll be better options for that in the middle of the 1st round.   You have to be able to shoot and defend to be a 3-and-D guy, and there's no telling if Brown will be able to do either.

This Michigan State game is funny.

A team of teenagers getting beaten up by a team featuring fully grown men.  Darnell Harris is 24 years old.  About the same age as half of the Celtics roster.  He'll be selling cars or adjusting insurance claims a couple years from now.
But right now he just busted a #2 seed and made those "teenagers" (Their 3 best players, Costello, Valentine and Forbes, are all 22) cry. I take it you're a Spartans fan?

I just think it's funny.  NCAA basketball is a big mess, but for two weeks every year we pretend its exciting and the results of this tourney mean something.

Yeah, its called being a sports fan.

I'm a fan of lots of sports, but I find NCAA basketball to be mostly chaotic and ugly, and I think March Madness is more about rampant betting and providing casual fans with the spectacle of inevitable upsets than anything else.

I'm a fan of basketball, and a lot of what ends up on the TV this time of March is on par with a Suns - Sixers match.

The allure of the NCAAs has to do with the breadth of it's reach. Every area of the country is represented and every conference represented....and every teams fans think that they have a chance at some glory, be it by defeating a much higher ranked team, or making the Sweet Sixteen, the Elite Eight, the Final Four or becoming national champs.

Yale's win yesterday and MTSU's win over MSU today were great theater. And granted, especially in the first round, there are probably 4-5 clunkers for every one of those, but those closely contested upsets make it all worth it to me.

College basketball, like college football has an electricity about it because of the age, passion and closeness that the fans (especially the student body and alums, like Tommy at The Cross) share.

Is the talent level better than the Suns/Sixers? No. But the buzz and excitement for many is far superior.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:11:43 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Now a 14 seed kills a 3 seed.

Good God! I love the heart of that Stephen F. Austin team, giving it all on the court and it paid off. Battled for every rebound despite being undersized, went for every loseballs, ran back on defense like it's their last game.

That Thomas Walkup guy, for such an undersized big, he played HUGE!
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I couldn't figure out how to select the winner on the CBS site (it wouldn't let me, some kind of browser error) so I had to select "random" instead. I'm in second place right now with I believe the highest overall possible point total possible left on the board. 

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
West Virginia, Baylor, Cal, Michigan State all out.

I thought a few of those teams could go far.  Especially WV and Michigan State.

Oh well.  This is why I don't put very much time or effort, and certainly never money, into brackets.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

The allure of the NCAAs has to do with the breadth of it's reach. Every area of the country is represented and every conference represented....and every teams fans think that they have a chance at some glory, be it by defeating a much higher ranked team, or making the Sweet Sixteen, the Elite Eight, the Final Four or becoming national champs.

Yale's win yesterday and MTSU's win over MSU today were great theater. And granted, especially in the first round, there are probably 4-5 clunkers for every one of those, but those closely contested upsets make it all worth it to me.

College basketball, like college football has an electricity about it because of the age, passion and closeness that the fans (especially the student body and alums, like Tommy at The Cross) share.

Is the talent level better than the Suns/Sixers? No. But the buzz and excitement for many is far superior.

I understand all of that, but I don't feel a particular affinity with any of the teams that tends to make it into the tournament.  I'm too cynical about the whole NCAA enterprise to get caught up in rooting for the "cindarella" teams I've never heard of.

I'm just a fan of basketball.  Great team basketball, and great individual talents.  Neither tends to be on display very often in the tournament. 

Maybe if my alma mater had a more competitive program ....  but nope.  That's not in the cards.  Doesn't appear to be for a long time.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

I understand all of that, but I don't feel a particular affinity with any of the teams that tends to make it into the tournament.  I'm too cynical about the whole NCAA enterprise to get caught up in rooting for the "cindarella" teams I've never heard of.

I'm just a fan of basketball.  Great team basketball, and great individual talents.  Neither tends to be on display very often in the tournament. 

Maybe if my alma mater had a more competitive program ....  but nope.  That's not in the cards.  Doesn't appear to be for a long time.

Being disillusioned by the "business" that is the NCAA and not having a dog in the fight are pretty strong,valid reasons for not buying into the excitement that many feel about the tournament. I appreciate your position. I guess it's all about situational perspective.

My alma mater hadn't made the NCAAs since 1946, and then made it 4 years in a row from '12-'15, upsetting Cincinatti one year and barely losing to North Carolina 67-65 another. And I hate one of the upset winners yesterday, but I was rooting my ass off for them because they represent our league.

The enthusiasm of these kids playing and on the bench and their fans who even sniff a huge upset is intoxicating to me. Guess I'm still a kid at heart.

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
man, the #5 and 6 seeds are being pounded this year. never seen so many first round upsets that i can recall.

and best of all MSU was bumped in the first round. ha, ha...so many folks had them winning it all.

by the way, i loath MSU so i am one happy camper right now.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
man, the #5 and 6 seeds are being pounded this year. never seen so many first round upsets that i can recall.

and best of all MSU was bumped in the first round. ha, ha...so many folks had them winning it all.

Doh, I'm one of them.  And sad thing I'm in 3 pools and I didn't hedge my bets against MSU.  Thank god for a sweet 16 tourny that starts next week or I'd be totally done.

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Doh, I'm one of them.  And sad thing I'm in 3 pools and I didn't hedge my bets against MSU.  Thank god for a sweet 16 tourny that starts next week or I'd be totally done.
my guess the number of perfect pools is close to zero after only one round. and the upsets are so widespread that virtually EVERYONE'S pool is getting pounded. so it may even things out a bit.

good luck to you.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Some of the potential 1st round draftees who are on today:

Ingram, Grayson Allen 2:40
Jamaal Murray, Skal, Ullis 5:15
Malcolm Brogdon 7:10
Jakob Poeltl vs Sabonis 8:40
Dunn, Bryce Johnson 9:40