Author Topic: Is Yabu a bust?  (Read 8483 times)

Re: Is Yabu a bust?
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2019, 03:47:27 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Unequivocally. And I like Yabu.

But we took him ahead of Beasley, Levert (the guy I wanted us to pick), Siakam, D Murray, Zubac, Brogdon, McCaw and Jake Layman (another guy I wanted).

Not to mention the other guys we took. Zizic and Nader. I like Zizic, but Nader is one of my least favourite C's ever. Especially when we could've had VanVleet, Nwaba, Derrick Jones Jr., Yogi Ferrell, Dorian Finney-Smith or Danuel House. Ugh.

One of my least favourite drafts in the DA era

It's shocking how poorly Ainge did with six picks in the deepest draft in recent memory.

The picks after Jaylen were groan-inducing at the time and look even worse in retrospect.  It took a higher-level of Basketball negligence to ensure the Celtics didn't walk away with even one of Siakam/Levert/Murray/Zubac/Brogdon with five picks outside the lottery.  Imagine how much better the current roster would be with any two of those guys instead of Yabs and your least favorite Celtic.   

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2019, 04:02:00 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Unequivocally. And I like Yabu.

But we took him ahead of Beasley, Levert (the guy I wanted us to pick), Siakam, D Murray, Zubac, Brogdon, McCaw and Jake Layman (another guy I wanted).

Not to mention the other guys we took. Zizic and Nader. I like Zizic, but Nader is one of my least favourite C's ever. Especially when we could've had VanVleet, Nwaba, Derrick Jones Jr., Yogi Ferrell, Dorian Finney-Smith or Danuel House. Ugh.

One of my least favourite drafts in the DA era

It's shocking how poorly Ainge did with six picks in the deepest draft in recent memory.

The picks after Jaylen were groan-inducing at the time and look even worse in retrospect.  It took a higher-level of Basketball negligence to ensure the Celtics didn't walk away with even one of Siakam/Levert/Murray/Zubac/Brogdon with five picks outside the lottery.  Imagine how much better the current roster would be with any two of those guys instead of Yabs and your least favorite Celtic.   

Pascal Siakam is putting up some Chris Bosh numbers in Toronto. That is how bad Ainge missed. Olynyk? Rozier? Oh goodness!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2019, 07:50:19 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Not sure if it was mentioned but at this time we had a contender roster and was in the running to sign Durant correct? I’m sure we actually tried to trade these picks away and since we couldn’t we drafted some “draft and stash” players so we could free up cap space or something like that right?

Yabu was only drafted to be a draft and stash player we just wiffed on KD. For that alone I don’t see him as a bust. He was never supposed to be a starter let alone any player who isn’t drafted in the lottery is ever “expected” to be starter caliber. We can cry about not getting saikum all we want but he wasn’t going to get no PT over KD 🙃.

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2019, 09:15:49 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Not sure if it was mentioned but at this time we had a contender roster and was in the running to sign Durant correct?

Yes. The Celts were trying to maintain cap space. Using those 2 picks on Yabu and Zizic are part of the reason we were able to sign Horford and Hayward. Zizic was included in the trade for Irving, so that pick certainly didn't go to waste.

I don't get the complaining about those 2 picks. If Boston had traded them at the time no one would have complained. They traded Zizic and they'll probably trade Yabu this summer. There's more than one way to make use of assets.

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2019, 09:31:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I never like to call guys a bust when drafted outside the lottery, but he’s a fringe NBA player and a disappointment.

The entire lower half of that draft was pretty weak.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
The only player that I find particularly frustrating that we passed on is Brogdon. I have no idea how NBA teams missed so badly on him.

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2019, 10:43:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I never like to call guys a bust when drafted outside the lottery, but he’s a fringe NBA player and a disappointment.

Yeah, that's where I'm at, too. At pick #16, he was still considered a project and the fact that he could be stashed overseas was part of the decision as well. I don't think of him as a bust but, yeah, I'm disappointed he hasn't had a meaningful moment in a game in his entire career that wasn't dab related.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Pascal Siakam is not weak. Man. Imagine if we’d taken him.

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Considering we could've drafted the following guys, then yes, absolutely he is.

Of course with the exception of drafting Al Jefferson and Delonte West, who became key figures to getting KG and Ray and selecting Smart and Jayson Tatum, drafting is not one of Ainge's strengths. 

Here's who was drafted after "Yabu" that's turned into a more impactful player

-Caris Levert
-Pascal Siakam
-Malik Beasley
-Ivica Zubac
-Malcom Brogdon
-Dejounte Murray

If Ainge wanted to draft and stash, he could've done so with some of his 2nd rounders.

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Of course with the exception of drafting Al Jefferson and Delonte West, who became key figures to getting KG and Ray and selecting Smart and Jayson Tatum, drafting is not one of Ainge's strengths. 

-Caris Levert
-Pascal Siakam
-Malik Beasley
-Ivica Zubac
-Malcom Brogdon
-Dejounte Murray

If Ainge wanted to draft and stash, he could've done so with some of his 2nd rounders.

The Celtics literally had 8 picks that summer. Ainge stashed 2 of his 3 first rounders, and stashed 1 and traded 2 of his 5 2nd rounders. The final 2 second rounders (51 and 58) probably weren't movable and there's no one in that bottom 10 that I wish Ainge had taken.

He did ok to get Jaylen, this year's Clippers pick, and a piece of the Kyrie trade (Zizic) in all that considering the number of picks and roster crunch.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

-Caris Levert
-Pascal Siakam
-Malik Beasley
-Ivica Zubac
-Malcom Brogdon
-Dejounte Murray

Tiny Allen? Ryan Gomes ? Baby Davis? Leon Powe? Jaylen Brown? Jayson Tatum?

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Point of draft and stash in 1st was to avoid guaranteeing money and roster spots for the following season. Those guys listed were all 1sts except Brogdon and Zubac (both gone by the 40s when Demetrius Jackson was picked).

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
At this point he’s nothing more than a human victory cigar and salary filler.

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

No. The whole point of drafting and stashing Yabu and Zizic was to delay committing to first-round draft pick salaries at that time. There's no point in stashing players picked in the second round.

They drafted Brown and stashed 2 players for a year. That gave them the cap space to sign Horford and Hayward.

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2019, 06:10:21 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

-Caris Levert
-Pascal Siakam
-Malik Beasley
-Ivica Zubac
-Malcom Brogdon
-Dejounte Murray

Tiny Allen? Ryan Gomes ? Baby Davis? Leon Powe? Jaylen Brown? Jayson Tatum?

Please read my quote you responded to. I clearly mention Tatum. Brown was a good choice, although jury is still out on whether passing on Murray or Hield was a smart choice. The other guys you mention were okay like Leon and Baby. I never liked Gomes. Yes Tony Allen was good. Ainge has also passed on a lot of good talent. I'll call him an average drafter.