Author Topic: Let's discuss our offense  (Read 8616 times)

Let's discuss our offense
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I think we are deep enough into the season to conclude that points simply won't come easy to this years Celtics.  People on this forum have questioned Brad Steven's ability as an offensive coach.  It's important to realize that the Warriors and Raptors are the ONLY teams to rank in the top 10 in offensive and defensive rating. 

Brad has maximized the potential of one of the youngest teams in the league, especially in regards to Tatum and Jaylen.  I believe fans are beginning to have an inflated opinion of their capabilities because both have been put in spots that cater to their strengths.  Keep in mind that I am only talking about Jaylen and Tatum right now.  Both have Superstar potential going forward.

Brad recently mentioned that the team hasn't looked crisp for most of the season.  This is a problem because we need to work hard to score.  The honest truth is that Kyrie Irving is the only player on the team that can be labeled as a "professional scorer". 

My final takeaway is that our best chance in the playoffs is to regain our mojo as the top defensive team in the NBA.  The rankings say we are still #1 in defense but we aren't playing anywhere near our peak from early in the season.  The playoffs are going to be a grind with a bunch of close games.    The good news is that Kyrie, Tatum, and Horford have all been excellent at delivering big buckets in crunch time.  I can't forget about Terry either. 

Re: Let's discuss our offense
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Once Marcus Morris' minutes start going to Moose, the offense will improve.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Our offense looked great when Morris and Kyrie were out.
Now its back to iso basketball.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Our offense looked great when Morris and Kyrie were out.
Now its back to iso basketball.

It's really not that simple.  Effort has been an issue but this is really about our performance against elite competition.  We blew out a Knicks squad that only competes on their home floor.  Then we destroyed the Atlanta Hawks.  The game against Portland was far from an offensive masterpiece.

I'm not worried about the team slipping into isolation basketball when they play elite teams in the postseason.  Effort hasn't been a problem in marquee match-ups, with the exception of Toronto last week.  My real concern is that we wont be able to execute for 48 minutes consistently against elite competition.  The Celtics will need to grind out wins on the strength of their defense and clutch shooting.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Once Marcus Morris' minutes start going to Moose, the offense will improve.

Monroe gives us post scoring and offensive rebounding but I don't expect massive improvements.  Monroe is another tool that Brad can employ in the right match-ups. 

When push comes to shove it's going to be a grind in the playoffs.  High scoring games will not play to our strengths.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Tatum has hit the rookie wall.  I am not surprised nor disappointed.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
A few things:

1. this team is tired...with the All Star break being so much later, they are worn out.

2. Team counts on the 3 ball way too much. A lot of poor shot selections early in the shot clock from 3.

3. Ball is sticking way too much.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The C's offense is in need of ball movement.

Too often Kyrie looks for his shot too early in the clock. Just as IT did last year. It's not either of there faults, the Celtics again are missing that consistent second scorer.

When the season first began Kyrie was being much more of a PG-distributor, and this team rattled off win after win.

The Celtic are in need of a true PG at times, allowing Kyrie to slide to the 2 guard, giving other players touches.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'll throw my 2 cents in here.

we definitely are a tired bunch - I wish our guys didn't have to participate in AS weekend.

we are relying on a lot of young guys and no matter what happens at the end of the season it was really going to end only one way - and that was at best a 2nd rnd exit.

and that's really ok. I hope that these guys don't think that way but as fans I think that's an amazing feat for a team that got overhauled with a majority of younger players... that never happens.

with all that said i'm convinced this team doesn't have to be as bad as they are offensively. and I know many here won't agree but this team offensively looks the same as every brad stevens team... I see the trend.

guys have been encouraged to shoot long contested shots since his 1st season here and no one drives with regularity and when they do they rarely finish. I believe that happens because they don't do it enough. this sounds a lot like last yr's team and the team before that and so on.

another thing I see wrong with this offense and I've mentioned this before is after a def. rebound these guys look to get the ball to the PG too much. this allows the D to get back instead of giving us man advantage situations. it also bogs the offense down to a crawl and every possession ending in a guy having to make a miracle shot.

and I know why stevens has them playing this way - to limit turnovers because of the young guys. he's playing safe and I never agree with playing this way.

I think if JB and tatum got more open court opportunities we wouldn't see tatum struggling as much(regardless of the injury)... young guys need to see the ball go in.

also not sure why they don't run more plays for tatum early in games, get him integrated early. the veterans like kyrie and horford will find their spots JB and tatum need to know they're involved and it would also show a little confidence in them to get the team going early. 

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The C's are 21st in offensive efficiency in the league. The only playoff team with a worse rating than that is Miami at 25. Winning in the playoffs going to be very hard to come by when you are only playing well on one side of the ball.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
1. Kyrie Needs another consistent 20 plus point Scorer to take the pressure off... (there is a reason why he said the other day that he dreams of what life will be like playing with Gordon)
2. We give Jason a pass for hitting the Rookie wall and rightfully so... But he is not the only Rookie that we are depending on.  Brown is not a Rookie but he is a 1st-time starter...
3. Being the TOP team in the east this year put a ton of pressure on this young team..  We are constantly getting everyone's grade A best shot... It was eventually going to catch up...
4. A Focused Lebron has been destroying the East for almost a decade now... He has ramped up to that next level.. We should have seen this Arsewhooping coming a mile away...
5. Our problem is Youth and a lack of Experience... We can only solve that by playing...,

This team will be amazing. Just not this year...  We all knew next year was the year, Even with Gordon..  We will be a tough out but our Horses are just Ponies at the moment...  Just need time. 

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:11 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Great points by a lot of people in this thread.  I think an important thing to consider is the fact that Brad doesn't sacrifice defense for offense.  CBS is holding this group to the standard of a championship caliber team.  It's very difficult for young players to maintain 100% effort on the defensive end while scoring at an efficient rate.  Lot's of growing pains for sure.   

Right now the Raptors and Warriors are the only two teams who are elite at both ends of the court.  The Warriors are no surprise.  As for Toronto, they did an excellent job of piecing together a roster that complements Lowry and DeRozan.  I still don't think they will get past a rejuvenated LeBron squad but a 7 games series is possible.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:14:32 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kyrie and MM pound the air out of the ball when they have it. Need a lot more passing, standing out at the 3 point line all day isn't going to beat good teams!

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
This team lacks toughness. We have too many nice guys...we need more dogs. Kyrie and Horford are quiet leaders and need to be a more vocal. Last year's team had something to prove. This team is better but Kyrie need to come out form the beginning of games and be ready to play. When Rozier was starting we didn't have to over come these 20 point leads. Team is settling for too many jumpers and I rarely see cutters for easy baskets.

Has anyone seen the stat of when Baynes plays more than 20 mins...the Celtics are almost unbeatable. When Baynes plays less than 20 mins...the losses start piling up. Weird stat.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's discuss our offense -- we're missing our second best scorer, and without him, have only one guy who can consistently score 20 on any given night.  The next best scorer is a guy who comfortably scores at most 14-15 a night and is at his best when creating opportunities for others.

So, yeah.  Not a surprise that points aren't coming easy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain