Author Topic: Danny's type of players for the 2008 draft  (Read 17282 times)

Danny's type of players for the 2008 draft
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
If you look at most picks danny has made during draft time it has been players who are in great condition foremost.

this draft is going to be the same pattern

Look for danny to pick between these four players

pf/c JJ hickson - athletic, good offense, decent defense, nba body

pf/c Devon Hardin - Top athlete, he can be intimating on defense, putbacks

pg mario chalmers - has credentials winning it all last year in the ncaa, very good athlete

sg/pg lester hudson - rodney stuckey part 2

The lesser known Hudson and hardin were impressive in the nba draft camps this past month(check out draft express)

boils down to these 4 and it works out for the celts too cuz we do need a pf/c to supplement pj brown and scott pollard leaving next season and/or sam cassell and eddie house(i strongly believe house won't be back next year) leaving and we need another pg

in my opinion ranking these 4 players

1) chalmers
2) Hickson
3) hudson
4) hardin

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:42:49 PM by Redz »

Re: Dannys type of players for the 2008 draft
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I really like Chalmers. I think he's going to be a quality backup point guard with the possibility of becoming a starter.

With Rondo and Pruitt already here I see no point in the Celtics drafting him. If they were to move Pruitt I'd be happy with Chalmers.

Out of all the positions on the court, the point guard position is the one I'd least like to have three players that young. Especially with neither Chalmers or Pruitt proven as championship caliber backup point guards. I'd dislike having those three and then adding another veteran like resigning Eddie House. It'd be a waste and it would be hard for them to develop because they wouldn't have court time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 04:52:04 PM by Who »

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:29:24 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Pruitt is an unknown quantity as far as ever being an NBA-caliber point guard goes, though.  I could see Danny taking another shot at a PG.  He took two SGs back-to-back a few years ago, in Delonte and TA.  I wouldn't rule it out.

I'd leave Hardin alone, though.  Bigs with motor problems seldom work out (Skippy Blount; Thomas Hamilton).
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

Re: Danny's type of players for the 2008 draft
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:54:33 PM »

Offline Manzana

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I am guessing that DA will draft an international big or other player to stash them over in Europe for a couple of years.. but I don't think that is a very original thought of mine.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 05:13:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I am guessing that DA will draft an international big or other player to stash them over in Europe for a couple of years.. but I don't think that is a very original thought of mine.

I disagree, he has no history of doing that and I don't see him doing it now...my guess is he brings in a guy with 3-4 years of college experience who can step into the NBA next year as a role player, not a guy who needs time to develop with a higher ceiling - guys like West, Allen, Powe, Gomes, Baby all fit this mold, and I don't see Danny going away from it
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I'd leave Hardin alone, though.  Bigs with motor problems seldom work out (Skippy Blount; Thomas Hamilton).

I think you are being a little harsh on Hardin.  He was a 4.0 high school student who chose UC Berkeley over Gonzaga, Oklahoma State and LSU because of the high level of academics.  He has been inconsistent, but I think that may be due to injuries in the recent past.  Hardin would be a solid pick IMHO.

I also disagree a bit with the OP -- I don't think it is quite right to say that the defining characteristic of who DA selects is their physical condition.  EG: Chris Richards is arguably in much better physical condition than Glen Davis, but DA passed on Richards.....

My guess is that DA will look for a shooter/ scorer or a big (in that order).  Cs have youth at the 1 (Rondo, Pruitt), 4 (Powe, BBD) and 5(KP), but no one at the 2 or 3.  (and of course one can never have enough big men)
Candidates:
Bill Walker
Gary Forbes
DeVon Hardin

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Question about Bill Walker. Does he still have the crazy athleticism from his high school days or did the injury's make him less explosive?

and I think he's questioning Hardin's drive not intelligence.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 06:15:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Question about Bill Walker. Does he still have the crazy athleticism from his high school days or did the injury's make him less explosive?
There's quite a few reports saying that Walker's athleticism is back. Appearantly he's looked great in workouts recently. Lost a lot of the weight he put on while injured.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 06:40:05 PM »

Offline IdahoGreen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think he'd bite on Brandon Rush if he were to slip to #30 (a slim chance, though).  Otherwise, I agree that Mario Chalmers and DeVon Hardin are good choices.  Both are defensive-minded and could be ready to contribute.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I love Gary Forbes and as a UMass grad, followed his career closely.  He has torn up the pre-draft camps and gotten on a lot of radar screens.  However, I am not sure he is a #30 pick.  Some people might not want to hear this, but his game is somewhat similar to Antoine's, which I like because I loved Antoine.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline sanfranfan

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
Danny's "Type of Players" is a silly statement in my view:

- Clearly the team is in a completely different place with a different focus this year as compared to past years
- "Players in good shape" ?!  Really?  Pretty thin. 

If anything I think Danny has shown that he is skilled at misderection and is capable of thinking outside of the box.  It is fun to speculate but we might be surprised again.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I love Gary Forbes and as a UMass grad, followed his career closely.  He has torn up the pre-draft camps and gotten on a lot of radar screens.  However, I am not sure he is a #30 pick.  Some people might not want to hear this, but his game is somewhat similar to Antoine's, which I like because I loved Antoine.

[dang]. I was so high on this kid till I read this.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 08:36:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think he'd bite on Brandon Rush if he were to slip to #30 (a slim chance, though).  Otherwise, I agree that Mario Chalmers and DeVon Hardin are good choices.  Both are defensive-minded and could be ready to contribute.

I would have put Rush at the top of my list, but I see him long gone by the time the Cs pick (I think he could go as high as the early teens, and I don't see him dropping past the Spurs at #26). 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
There's quite a few reports saying that Walker's athleticism is back. Appearantly he's looked great in workouts recently. Lost a lot of the weight he put on while injured.

Which means he likely will be gone before 30...which is a shame.

The thing is, even with the injury, he was often one of the most explosive athletes on the floor last year (and he was definitely still carrying extra weight).

I also think a major "Ainge guy" is missing here

Trent Plaisted - He is a big man with excellent athleticism, and a better overall feel for the game than Hardin.  To many people he is very much an unknown, but because he went to BYU, Ainge would be very familiar with him.  I think if none of the wings (Rush, Walker, CDR, Batum) fall to 30, and Danny doesn't fall in love with a euro to stash, then Plaisted would be right up at the top of the list.

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Listen chris richards might be slightly better conditioned than big baby but of course some skills has to factor into drafting a player. Richards has half of what big baby has in that department. richards potential is a backup fouler and davis a good off the bench player

Danny won't pick euro players thats for sure unless they have some height. I have yet to see euro player with as good as athlism as many nba players cept for maybe manu ginobelli. They are rare

Hardin can't run?? he is a top athlete i dunno what u are talking about who ever made that statement

there are some decent players bound to be at #30 and danny i'm sure will draft a good player with some athletism. Also there are rumors portland and minny have two early 2nd round picks and if danny thinks he can get a two for one deal like last year he will go through that route.

Might have to with our budget not being so great(only 1 million in cap opening up) and at least 3-4 players existing our roster almost definitely next year