Author Topic: Victor Claver  (Read 6528 times)

Victor Claver
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:32 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
as a little diversion from the excitement/stress of the Finals, i am trying to follow some of the draft stuff.

i really think there are enough prospects in this draft that Danny could land a really good player for us.

i have a hard time getting any solid feelings on the International players because we have not been able to see them like most of the college players, but this is one guy i am intrigued by:

Victor Claver

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/victorclaver.html

he is reportedly a high BBIQ 6-10 athletic, hard-nosed SF.....seems like all elements that we could use in a year or two...

the highlights look good too.

Re: Victor Claver
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Is he expected to come out?  Both draftexpress and nbadraft.net have him projected for next season, when we don't have a pick.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:27:09 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
uh, not sure.

Chad Ford has him as being IN...not sure when they have to decide for certain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut

here is another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAU51QdYWU

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
one thing from these highlights is that it seems like he has a good sense of spacing and finding open areas in the defense....something that is important in our offense..

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Apparently he's worked out for the Blazers. 

From the Portland Oregonian's blurb about him:

Claver, whom the Blazers came across during their scouting of Rudy Fernandez, also fared well on Saturday. He has three-point range, solid footwork and plus athleticism. Coach Nate McMillan seemed particularly impressed with his workout -- his first for an NBA team and one of "three or four" he has scheduled during his 15-day visit to the United States.

Notable: The 19 year-old is an early entrant to the NBA draft. He averaged 6.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 34 games for Pamesa Valencia of the Spanish ACB League last season and averaged 17.6 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists at the 2007 U19 World Championships. Helped Spain win a bronze medal at the U18 European Championship when he averaged 14.4 points and 6.4 rebounds.

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
looks like he worker out for Portland on the 7th....

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/06/predraft_report_day_3.html

if Pritchard already has his sights on him that is not good news.....another great talent evaluator.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Kid can get up a little bit and looks like he has a good shot. I haven't actually watched him play a game or anything but from the highlights he does look pretty impressive. Then again, I can't say that I see Danny drafting many Europeans in the near future. There's more and more of them who are deciding to just stay in Europe and make more money playing for a championship team there.

I doubt even half of the Euros from this year's draft will ever even think about coming over. I don't think any of the Euros outside of Pekovic, Jawai (Australian but plays in Europe) Batum, and Gallinari are even good enough to play in the NBA, and the best player in that group (Pekovic) isn't even likely to ever come over.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Apparently he's worked out for the Blazers. 

From the Portland Oregonian's blurb about him:

Claver, whom the Blazers came across during their scouting of Rudy Fernandez, also fared well on Saturday. He has three-point range, solid footwork and plus athleticism. Coach Nate McMillan seemed particularly impressed with his workout -- his first for an NBA team and one of "three or four" he has scheduled during his 15-day visit to the United States.

Notable: The 19 year-old is an early entrant to the NBA draft. He averaged 6.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 34 games for Pamesa Valencia of the Spanish ACB League last season and averaged 17.6 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists at the 2007 U19 World Championships. Helped Spain win a bronze medal at the U18 European Championship when he averaged 14.4 points and 6.4 rebounds.

Link.

you beat me to it.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:48:12 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
portland has the #33 pick, but they certainly have enough chips to move up if they want him...

you know the Spurs are going to be looking at him.

my bet is that this kid moves up pretty fast here if he stays in and doesn't have any big contract problems.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
coincidentally, i wouldn't be surprised if Wallace (at #28) is looking at this kid too. although SF is not a need for them...

one good thing is that the more that move up means that others will drop....

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Every player looks good in youtube videoclips. I'm afraid that, currently, Claver is not nearly as good as these mixes make him look.

Claver was a hot prospect last summer, after an insane production in the spanish league playoffs. In my opinion, he regressed during the last season; probably he was not that good in the first place. He has considerable potential, no doubts about that, but he's still completely unproven. I was expecting him to have a breakthrough season, but it didn't happen. Far from it.

Here are a couple of negatives you may like to know:

- He has no position. Right now, Claver is a combo forward who's not strong enough to play the 4 and isn't quick enough to play the 3. He played most of his minutes as a PF last season, but he doesn't have a post game, nor the strength to bang in the paint (in the much less physical ACB). As a consequence, he plays a lot in the perimeter, although his long range jump-shot is very streaky (he only scores from two spots - near the rim or beyond the 3 pt line; there's no mid-range shot in his game). He shot 2pts at 57% (2.8 attempts per game) and 38% from the line (2 attempts per game). Not bad - but far from good for european standards - but the numbers are somehow skewed, because;

- his inconsistency is outstanding. From times to times, he made really great and highly productive games. Others were so-so. But frequently he was a non-factor or a major liability in the floor.

- He's a good slasher (at least when he's trying to attack the rim, unfortunately that's something who doesn't happen in a regular basis), but only when he is being guarded by PFs or slower SFs, as he can beat most of them off the dribble, and has a good finish around the rim, frequently dunking on bigger players. He struggled almost every time I saw him being guarded by quicker players or when he was facing good zones. His footwork is underwhelming and frequently he messes up his first step and is called for travellings (I saw this happening all season, and every single time I watched him he show no signs of improvement. Btw, DX's Luis Fernandez is, IMO, a very good scouter and talent evaluator. Well, at least I agree with him oftenly on what he writes about players I also know. And I'm just a fan. But Claver's first step maybe excellent, as he writes, but it's also highly unreliable).

- Sometimes he looks that kind of player who has little confidence in himself, passing open shots and making dumb decisions. When his first shots don't fall, he shows some sort of mental weakness.

- Due to his poor footwork, he's not more than an average defender. He's fine defending inside (unless he's matching up against much bigger and heavier players - as he would be playing PF in the NBA), but he suffers when he has to face smaller, quicker players who play from outside. Radmanovic could do to Claver what Pierce is doing to Radmanovic. He has to improve a lot in this part of his game if he wants to play in the NBA.

- As you can imagine, all these issues affected his playing time. He started the season as a starter, playing major minutes. He ended it as a non-factor in the playoffs, playing 12 mpg (3 pts, 2 r, 1 a). For some months in between, he was a bench warmer.

- Pamesa's fanbase frequently questions his work ethic and his thoughness and desire to play the game. It doesn't help that, according to the local press, he (or his entourage in his behalf) has demanded to play as a SF next season (because it's the only position he can play in the NBA) and threatened to leave the club if they were hiring a new SF (something they already did). I'm not sure how much truth there is in these reports, anyway.

Of course, there are also positive things to say about Claver. He has lenght and a huge standing reach, he can rebound, good vertical leap, he's a very good finisher, he displays a lot of defensive awareness and effort, etc. etc. He already had some very good games in the best league in the world after the NBA. But he needs to be consistent and to improve his weaknesses; and during the last season, he didn't accomplished any.

To conclude:
- I believe he's just testing the waters and that eventually will drop out of the draft.
- He's not ready for the NBA.
- I wouldn't draft him with the 30th pick (if we keep it). We would need to stash him here, and in the best case scenario (living up to his potential), he'd go Splitter on us. But in Ainge I trust. (I'll try to find out if he's going to work out for the Celtics).

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 12:00:47 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I don't think any of the Euros outside of Pekovic, Jawai (Australian but plays in Europe) Batum, and Gallinari are even good enough to play in the NBA, and the best player in that group (Pekovic) isn't even likely to ever come over.

Sorry for the nitpicking, but Jawai plays in the Australian League, not in Europe.

While I agree that Pekovic is the best player right now (though it's debatable), Gallinari is 2 years younger and will be much better than Pek could ever be in the NBA, barring major injuries.

About the other players not being good enough, who knows? They're just prospects. Guys like Gallinari, Pek and, to some extent, Batum, are more sure bets: rarely players who have been productive at the highest level in Europe turned out to be complete busts in the NBA. Ajinca, Ibaka, Casspi, Claver, Asik, Edren, etc etc, are high-risk picks, surely, but sometimes it pays.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 05:07:54 AM »

Offline andrelo

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
as a little diversion from the excitement/stress of the Finals, i am trying to follow some of the draft stuff.

this is a tall, 19-yr SF with great physical and technical abilities, who plays good defense, and needs to improve his shot, and its comprehension of the game. tihs year his biggest problem has been its lack of minutes and that he played as a PF, where his production decreases. He is from te same zone of spain that me, I'm supporte of his team an I've seen him playing, and he's expecting to take part of the 2008 draft, with good workouts, he might be chosen between 20 and 25, I expect

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 06:34:03 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
uh, not sure.

Chad Ford has him as being IN...not sure when they have to decide for certain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut

here is another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seAU51QdYWU

Anybody guessed who is wearing number 13 in Claver's team??? Albert Miralles...do we still own his rights?  :P

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:18:57 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
He's out of the draft. Can't say I'm surprised. This kid needs to work his game and clear his head.