Poll

Who'd rather have?

Kendrick Perkins
10 (33.3%)
Jeff Green
20 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll: Kendrick Perkins or Jeff Green; Bigger Impact in Green this year?  (Read 7675 times)

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Perkins is not the intimidator he once was.

All I have to say is, our defense has been pretty good all year, and with Bradley at the 2 and KG at the 5, our defense was legendary historical.

And one last thing...if we really are moving toward a Rajon Rondo ERA and if Rondo fans were excited with how well Rondo and Bradley played together...just wait and watch what Green and Rondo can do on a fast break.

Bradley is a developing player. Jeff Green is already developed and his size and athleticism is off the charts. If Green wants or needs to improve mentally or basketball IQ wise, he needs to play with Rondo and for Doc Rivers.

Have people forgotten Jeff Green played for the Celtics last year. What is there to be excited about? His game is bland. To me Jeff Green is just depth.

I felt/feel the same way about him.

But reading his tweets and seeing him at some games during the season, it seems like he really wants to be a Celtic. I'm interested in seeing what he can REALLY bring to the table. I'm willing to say his half of a season with us was not the real Jeff Green.

If he still shows no improvement we can use him as trade bait at the deadline.

Offline BC1996

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Perkins is not the intimidator he once was.

All I have to say is, our defense has been pretty good all year, and with Bradley at the 2 and KG at the 5, our defense was legendary historical.

And one last thing...if we really are moving toward a Rajon Rondo ERA and if Rondo fans were excited with how well Rondo and Bradley played together...just wait and watch what Green and Rondo can do on a fast break.

Bradley is a developing player. Jeff Green is already developed and his size and athleticism is off the charts. If Green wants or needs to improve mentally or basketball IQ wise, he needs to play with Rondo and for Doc Rivers.

Have people forgotten Jeff Green played for the Celtics last year. What is there to be excited about? His game is bland. To me Jeff Green is just depth.

I felt/feel the same way about him.

But reading his tweets and seeing him at some games during the season, it seems like he really wants to be a Celtic. I'm interested in seeing what he can REALLY bring to the table. I'm willing to say his half of a season with us was not the real Jeff Green.

If he still shows no improvement we can use him as trade bait at the deadline.

Glad you are willing to give him a shot before making a final conclusion.

Let's not forget the fact that our locker room was in rough shape for the majority of the second half.  The Perk trade obviously threw Rondo into a funk and definitely shook the confidence of the Big Three.  Then we had to deal with Big Baby's implosion.  He stopped doing all of the little things that made him an effective player for us. 

Jeff Green, Kristic, Sasha, Von Wafer, and Troy Murphy were our main bench players going into the playoffs.  Wafer is the only player out of that group who was with the team at the start of the season.

I feel safe in saying that Jeff Green will have a much better opportunity to succeed with us next year.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jeff Green was borderline terrible in his short time here (why people keep forgetting this is beyond me).  I was thoroughly unimpressed.

That said, I'd be willing to keep him if we can't sign and trade him for a better player.  He does seem to really want to be a part of the franchise.  I would absolutely not give him anything more than a one year contract though.

Offline BC1996

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
Jeff Green was borderline terrible in his short time here (why people keep forgetting this is beyond me).  I was thoroughly unimpressed.

That said, I'd be willing to keep him if we can't sign and trade him for a better player.  He does seem to really want to be a part of the franchise.  I would absolutely not give him anything more than a one year contract though.

Yeah and Avery Bradley was being called a bum by the majority of this message board early in the season.  I'm a firm believer that his desire to be with our organization will result in him putting in the proper work to improve every aspect of his game.   He's a talented player and I don't think his short stint is reflective of his abilities.  I think Green was very much concerned about making the right play and "thought" too much on the court.  His first few years in OKC he played in a less structured system that allowed him to play freely. 

I think too many people aren't considering the fact that he was forced to completely change the way he played in only a few months.   

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah and Avery Bradley was being called a bum by the majority of this message board early in the season.  I'm a firm believer that his desire to be with our organization will result in him putting in the proper work to improve every aspect of his game.   He's a talented player and I don't think his short stint is reflective of his abilities.  I think Green was very much concerned about making the right play and "thought" too much on the court.  His first few years in OKC he played in a less structured system that allowed him to play freely. 

I think too many people aren't considering the fact that he was forced to completely change the way he played in only a few months.   

Completely different situations.  4 year vet vs. a rookie.  Green may in fact improve, but he already has a 4 year track record of being a non-factor (his play here was almost indentical to his play in OKC).  Bradley was an unknown.

I'm not rooting against the guy or anything, and don't dislike him at all.  I just have very little believe Green will ever be anything more than a role player.  If we can trade him for someone better, we should.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Jeff Green, because he would've provided scoring off the bench and also took some minutes off from Pierce...

He would've averaged 8-10 point easily off the bench and that was exactly what we needed. Our bench scoring stunk

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
Jeff Green in his much heightened role would have flourished in a way nearly as good as Bradley did.

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Nothing infuriates me more than the subject of Jeff Green.

He's an AVERAGE player. That's what my eyes tell me, that's what the stats confirm, and that's all he is.

Paying 9 million a year for an average player is about the worst thing a GM can do. The two most efficient contracts in basketball are rookie contracts and max salary contracts. Overpaying average players and clogging up cap space is the antithesis of making a smart GM decision.

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Jeff Green - he would have been very valuable matching up against the small ball lineups of Miami and Philadelphia and even Atlanta.

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Perkins.

When KG went out, the inside of the defense opened up.  There was no replacement out there.

The Celtics had usable depth at SF/SG.  Two different players came off the bench and contributed during that last series. 

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
JG.  He woulda filled in nicely and I think woulda had a serviceable year with all our injuries.  With us on the brink of playing his old team, he coulda been the x factor.  If this team was heallthy, sans Jermaine Oneal, we're lookin at a strong push to #18, given the scenarios that played out.  Fingers crossed for part 2:  The redemption!

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Jeff Green was borderline terrible in his short time here (why people keep forgetting this is beyond me).  I was thoroughly unimpressed.

That said, I'd be willing to keep him if we can't sign and trade him for a better player.  He does seem to really want to be a part of the franchise.  I would absolutely not give him anything more than a one year contract though.

Jeff Green was essentially the same player for Boston that he was for Oklahoma City.  Just look at his per 36 numbers.  Almost the same.  So if he was borderline terrible for Boston he was borderline terrible in Oklahoma City.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Jeff Green was borderline terrible in his short time here (why people keep forgetting this is beyond me).  I was thoroughly unimpressed.

That said, I'd be willing to keep him if we can't sign and trade him for a better player.  He does seem to really want to be a part of the franchise.  I would absolutely not give him anything more than a one year contract though.

Jeff Green was essentially the same player for Boston that he was for Oklahoma City.  Just look at his per 36 numbers.  Almost the same.  So if he was borderline terrible for Boston he was borderline terrible in Oklahoma City.

"Borderline terrible" is probably an overstatement, but "completely replaceable" is not.  OKC did not view Jeff Green as a big loss.

To me, Jeff Green is like a fourth starter for a baseball team.  He's not someone that's going to dominate.  You hope that he can win half his games.  Basically, you just want him to go out there and eat up some innings.  To me, that's what Jeff Green does; he can play for a while and not really hurt you, but he's not really adding a lot either.  He's pretty invisible.

And to those who are expecting huge improvement...  why?  He's played four full seasons - and gotten tons of playing time during those seasons (no "redshirt years," like AB last season).  Pretty sure he was at Georgetown for three years.  He'll be 26 by the time next season rolls around. 

Plus, he hasn't shown any improvement since his second season.  His TS% was pretty much identical in his fourth season (averaging OKC and Boston) as it was in his second.  His rebounding (never good) has gotten slightly worse.  PER's a flawed stat, but for what it's worth, it's gotten slightly worse.

Why's he suddenly going to morph into something better?  He's been pretty much the same player for each of his past three seasons - where's the catalyst for him to suddenly take the leap?

I hope Jeff Green does well, but let's forget that he was a #5 overall pick and think about the player that he's proven to be.  He's not terrible, but he's also not Paul Pierce's heir apparent.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Perkins.

When KG went out, the inside of the defense opened up.  There was no replacement out there.

The Celtics had usable depth at SF/SG.  Two different players came off the bench and contributed during that last series. 

Took the words right out of my mouth. You can always find a sg/sf to play good minutes there are plenty of them. Finding a good center who can anchor a defensive unit, clog the middle, and intimidate other teams by lurking in the middle and changing shots is not an easy thing to do.

When Perk got traded the Celtics lost their swagger. It has never returned. Perk is a much more valuable asset then anyone will ever realize.

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

"Borderline terrible" is probably an overstatement, but "completely replaceable" is not.  OKC did not view Jeff Green as a big loss.

To me, Jeff Green is like a fourth starter for a baseball team.  He's not someone that's going to dominate.  You hope that he can win half his games.  Basically, you just want him to go out there and eat up some innings.  To me, that's what Jeff Green does; he can play for a while and not really hurt you, but he's not really adding a lot either.  He's pretty invisible.

And to those who are expecting huge improvement...  why?  He's played four full seasons - and gotten tons of playing time during those seasons (no "redshirt years," like AB last season).  Pretty sure he was at Georgetown for three years.  He'll be 26 by the time next season rolls around. 

Plus, he hasn't shown any improvement since his second season.  His TS% was pretty much identical in his fourth season (averaging OKC and Boston) as it was in his second.  His rebounding (never good) has gotten slightly worse.  PER's a flawed stat, but for what it's worth, it's gotten slightly worse.

Why's he suddenly going to morph into something better?  He's been pretty much the same player for each of his past three seasons - where's the catalyst for him to suddenly take the leap?

I hope Jeff Green does well, but let's forget that he was a #5 overall pick and think about the player that he's proven to be.  He's not terrible, but he's also not Paul Pierce's heir apparent.

He is a role player.  A starting SF as a 4th option.  

He was a bad fit for the Celtics.