Poll

Who'd rather have?

Kendrick Perkins
10 (33.3%)
Jeff Green
20 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Poll: Kendrick Perkins or Jeff Green; Bigger Impact in Green this year?  (Read 7676 times)

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
They were pegged to earn same salary. A quick pulse a poll on who CBers think would've made a bigger impact? Specially in the playoffs against Hawks, Philly, and Heat.

Offline BC1996

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
They were pegged to earn same salary. Want to get a quick pulse on who CBers think would've made a bigger impact? Specially in the playoffs against Hawks, Philly, and Heat.

It's certainly a fun discussion to have but Perk wasn't going to be on the Celtics this year regardless.  His value on the free agent market would have been considerably higher than what Danny Ainge was willing to pay.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
we beat philly and the hawks so who cares.

PP was dead by game 7 playing on a busted knee. Green with a season of play in the c's system would have really helped on Lebron. He showed flashes of really good defense on Lebron last year in the playoffs and can match him size wise and athletically.

KG was much more effective at center, lets not forget that.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Jeff Green - he would have been very valuable matching up against the small ball lineups of Miami and Philadelphia and even Atlanta.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
we beat philly and the hawks so who cares.

PP was dead by game 7 playing on a busted knee. Green with a season of play in the c's system would have really helped on Lebron. He showed flashes of really good defense on Lebron last year in the playoffs and can match him size wise and athletically.

KG was much more effective at center, lets not forget that.

Offensively KG flourished, yes. But he isn't the intimating force inside like Perk. Lebron and Wade think twice driving with Perk parked inside. Jeff Green was very little help last year for Celtics.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:07:33 PM by Change »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
They were pegged to earn same salary. Want to get a quick pulse on who CBers think would've made a bigger impact? Specially in the playoffs against Hawks, Philly, and Heat.

It's certainly a fun discussion to have but Perk wasn't going to be on the Celtics this year regardless.  His value on the free agent market would have been considerably higher than what Danny Ainge was willing to pay.

Salaries would be comparable. Green earning ~$2mil more this year as backup than Perk

Offline BC1996

• Oshae Brissett

It's certainly a fun discussion to have but Perk wasn't going to be on the Celtics this year regardless.  His value on the free agent market would have been considerably higher than what Danny Ainge was willing to pay.

Salaries would be comparable. Green earning ~$2mil more this year as backup than Perk

Yes but Danny Ainge had Jeff Green on a 1 year qualifying offer, which posed no threat to future cap space.  It essentially would have given Jeff Green an opportunity to earn a long term deal. 

Danny wasn't willing to give Perk a multi year offer at over $8 Million per year.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Yes but Danny Ainge had Jeff Green on a 1 year qualifying offer, which posed no threat to future cap space.  It essentially would have given Jeff Green an opportunity to earn a long term deal. 

Danny wasn't willing to give Perk a multi year offer at over $8 Million per year.

Ainge isn't committed to Green either?

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Ainge made the right call but could not forsee Krstic opting back to euro ball or green's heart issues.
The way to the nba finals in the east in sf play.  Put Green on our team as Paul's backup and boy is that an upgrade considering we have sasha, marquis and an undersized but tough pietrus this year.  Paul would come out and now you have green a 6'9" small forward who would be our best low post player.  I dare say PP could have taken a few games off once injured (in playoffs) and we start green and still get by philly & atlanta.

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Perkins is not the intimidator he once was.

All I have to say is, our defense has been pretty good all year, and with Bradley at the 2 and KG at the 5, our defense was legendary historical.

And one last thing...if we really are moving toward a Rajon Rondo ERA and if Rondo fans were excited with how well Rondo and Bradley played together...just wait and watch what Green and Rondo can do on a fast break.

Bradley is a developing player. Jeff Green is already developed and his size and athleticism is off the charts. If Green wants or needs to improve mentally or basketball IQ wise, he needs to play with Rondo and for Doc Rivers.

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

All I have to say is, our defense has been pretty good all year, and with Bradley at the 2 and KG at the 5, our defense was legendary historical.

And one last thing...if we really are moving toward a Rajon Rondo ERA and if Rondo fans were excited with how well Rondo and Bradley played together...just wait and watch what Green and Rondo can do on a fast break.

Bradley is a developing player. Jeff Green is already developed and his size and athleticism is off the charts. If Green wants or needs to improve mentally or basketball IQ wise, he needs to play with Rondo and for Doc Rivers.

Have people forgotten Jeff Green played for the Celtics last year. What is there to be excited about? His game is bland. To me Jeff Green is just depth.

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think krstic should get a mention in this.  Their circumstances don't cross over but to lose both guys from the one trade is just plain brutal. Imagine krstic in there instead of JO with bass coming off bench with green matching up with wade n Lebron.
Just makes me sick hoe bad our luck is. We have a first round pick too which is great.
To finally answer OPS question, I think green would have been much more valuable with his bench scoring and rebounding.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Have people forgotten Jeff Green played for the Celtics last year. What is there to be excited about? His game is bland. To me Jeff Green is just depth.
you saw a brief glimpse of a guy coming in and playing team ball, not jacking shots, doing what the team needed, i'd expect a big improvement if he is with celtics again

Offline BC1996

• Oshae Brissett

Yes but Danny Ainge had Jeff Green on a 1 year qualifying offer, which posed no threat to future cap space.  It essentially would have given Jeff Green an opportunity to earn a long term deal.  

Ainge isn't committed to Green either?

That's not relevant to what I'm trying to say.  I never said Ainge is or isn't committed to Green for the long term.  

What I'm saying is.....

1.  Ainge wasn't willing to sign Perk long term at market value.  He wasn't going to be here after last season even if Ainge hadn't traded him.  Jeff Green is an independent variable in this equation.

2.  Ainge had the option of extending a qualifying offer to Green, which was the initial plan.  He obviously likes the upside that Green can bring to the table.  However, I don't think Ainge could even make a decisive judgement on Green until he played a full season with the team.

Jeff Green is the exact type of player that Ainge was looking for going into this past season.  Lot's of upside without a guaranteed long term deal.    

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:28:24 PM by BC1996 »

Offline BC1996

• Oshae Brissett

you saw a brief glimpse of a guy coming in and playing team ball, not jacking shots, doing what the team needed, i'd expect a big improvement if he is with celtics again

You couldn't be more right with that statement.  Jeff Green was thrust into a difficult situation.  He was forced to learn a new defensive scheme at an accelerated rate that prides itself on discipline, focus and maximum effort.  He also had extremely high expectations to live up to.  Assuming we bring him back I'm almost positive that we will see a huge step forward in his game.  Give him a full season immersed in our culture and it will bring the best out of him.