Author Topic: Dwight, CP3 etc. and the Celtic Future  (Read 7665 times)

Re: Dwight, CP3 etc. and the Celtic Future
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 12:51:28 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Max-contract players are not a great investment unless your team basically has no future at all.

Max-contract players are arguably a great investment if they would easily be worth a bigger contract if there is no maximum.

A max contract could be between 30% to 50% of a hard cap depending on how things work out next year.  That would make it impossible to have 2 max contracts and would ensure a single max contract player to be surrounded by scrubs.  While you may get great return on your investment from any single great player like Dwight Howard, it would be bad for the future of your team. 
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »

Offline mc34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 40
I love Delonte on this team, but I haven't heard a ton of talk about bringing him back. You'd think he'd want a bit of security, in other words we'd have to give multiple years to an extremely injury-prone player. I'd love to see him back but I just haven't heard a ton of buzz about it.

Dwight would be incredible here. If KG is still around we could maybe get a little mean streak going on Dwight. But we gotta keep Rondo, for sure

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I'm an enormous proponent of trading away Rondo, Ray, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, our rookie next season, two future first round draft picks, and the LAC pick in order to acquire Chris Paul and Dwight Howard.  Take back some moderately bad contracts like Ariza and Redick too.  I think that is the best chance at contending in the future.

If neither of those players are available, what is your plan B?

Keep acquiring assets while our window closes.  Hopefully they turn out to be a good player or we can package them into a superstar
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Chances are neither Dwight Howard nor Chris Paul are coming through that door.  Like the majority of fan bases, we'll have to pin our hopes on the acquisition of young assets through trades and the draft (buy low, sell high).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
 Rondo is our starting point guard for the next few years.  Bradley is a work in progress, but I see him being a backup point given time.  West is being groomed as Ray's backup.  Green is similarly groomed to backup Paul.  Baby has a high value as a trading chip with the kind of experience, energy and defense he brings.  I can see him being involved in a trade bringing in new talent, or staying in Boston playing significant minutes off the bench.  I see JO as a bit of a fixer-upper.  In the BEST case, he'll be able to give us 4-5 years and groom a young center with promise.  
   Who are some players we can bring in for "cheap" that can possibly develop into great players in green?
I like JJ Redick, Grant Hill(38 yrs old), Taj Gibson, Al-Farouq Aminu, Charlie Villanueava, Tyler Hansbrough, Chris Andersen, Drew Gooden, Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady.

I'm not sure if this is serious or not..JO around for 4-5 years?
all those guys you mention are scrubs or over the hill. I would rate Taj gibson and Hansborough and their's no way Larry Bird is letting Psycho T go from the Pacers.
I would also argue that the 'core' you suggested is a pathetic base of players to build a team around.
I'm in favor of keeping the big 3 for a reduced price (they'd accept this for the chance to win more hardware) and going after Dwight Howard and some upper level role players.
Keeping Rondo or Trading him for CP3 really doesn't bother me either way.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
   JO is 32.  32 + 5 = 37.  There are many big guys playing in the NBA around that age. Juan Howard, Kurt Thomas, Camby, Shaq etc. That certainly would be the BEST case scenario. 
   My question was which underrated player can we get for cheap who will help our team in the future.  That means I am LOOKING for people with poor reputation or thought of as over-the-hill.  You know, like how Ray was 33 ,over-the-hill, and couldn't play a lick of defense in 2007.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Why would Paul or Howard want to play with an aging team?
The joining the bandwagon era is likely over after next year

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I love Delonte on this team, but I haven't heard a ton of talk about bringing him back. You'd think he'd want a bit of security, in other words we'd have to give multiple years to an extremely injury-prone player. I'd love to see him back but I just haven't heard a ton of buzz about it.

Dwight would be incredible here. If KG is still around we could maybe get a little mean streak going on Dwight. But we gotta keep Rondo, for sure

Who's going to offer Delonte a decent sized multi-year contract based on his play this year? It's possible but it seems unlikely.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Why would Paul or Howard want to play with an aging team?
The joining the bandwagon era is likely over after next year

Apart, they wouldn't want to. Together, they wouldn't be an aging team.
CELTICS 2024