Author Topic: Garnett whacking Howard's elbow  (Read 7677 times)

Garnett whacking Howard's elbow
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I was watching Channel 7 news tonight and saw this clip of KG absolutely hacking away at Howard's elbow and got called for an offensive foul for it.  I have night class from 6:30-9:30 so have missed parts of a few games.  Anybody have video of this?  When was it?  Was it in game 6 as retaliation?  I've heard NOBODY talking about it, but KG was called a foul for it so it can't have gone completely unnoticed.  I saw it around 10:15-10:25pm and my dad says the same news should be on again at 11pm tonight.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Garnett whacking Howard's elbow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's been talked about here plenty. And yes, it was game 6. KG felt Howard was fouling him with his hand so he did a Karate Chop to deal with it. It was completely awesome.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »

Offline ReggieLewis#35

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
im not to good at copying videos but heres my best shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgSJHn3VYc4

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
im not to good at copying videos but heres my best shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgSJHn3VYc4

TP!  Thank you!  That's just great.  Howard did have his hand on him, but that Garnett was pleading some kind of case there is hilarious.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
Handchecks rarely called in NBA.  It sucks but its true. Tough luck KG.

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
The video is all over the Orlando forumz.  :P

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 12:54:53 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
As I pointed out on another thread, if you watch very closely from the side-view camera angle, the first time Howard had his hand on KG, he was forcefully digging his fingernails into KG's side ... that's what KG is saying to the ref after, and why he reacted the way he did. I mean, come on ... KG has been hand-checked literally thousands of times, and he wouldn't have reacted that way unless there had been something unusual about it. Howard was using a childish 4th-grade schoolyard tactic, and KG had had enough ... I would've done the same thing ... or worse.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:03:14 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
is this what phil jackson was referring to in his press conference today?  about how the Lakers don't "hack" at people and they are more "resilient", (aka they're a worse defensive team than the Celtics), as if this is something C's players do with any kind of regularity?

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:27:09 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
As I pointed out on another thread, if you watch very closely from the side-view camera angle, the first time Howard had his hand on KG, he was forcefully digging his fingernails into KG's side ... that's what KG is saying to the ref after, and why he reacted the way he did. I mean, come on ... KG has been hand-checked literally thousands of times, and he wouldn't have reacted that way unless there had been something unusual about it. Howard was using a childish 4th-grade schoolyard tactic, and KG had had enough ... I would've done the same thing ... or worse.

FINALLY.....Someone with a BRAIN....Geeze---I saw it as it was happening...Howard was totally DIGGING into KG's side---it was NOT a hand check---it was a DIRTY ploy by Howard to get a reaction/Tech on KG----What is wrong with everyone who CANNOT see this?...But, then again---I also saw Tyson's FIRST bite on Holyfield's ear--when nobody else in the room did---morons!!

What amazes me is that people don't stop to wonder the obvious: Why?? Why would KG, one of the players who has been hand-checked more than most anyone else still in the NBA, be reacting so violently to something that goes on ALL the time?? Just to make some dumb excuse to whack Howard's arm and make himself look like a fool and get a Tech in the process? Come on! This is a guy who has shown incredible restraint over and over. The guy was getting five sharpened little fingernail daggers being thrust in his side, and he was sick of Dwight's sissy tactics! He was saying just that to the official, (you can hear part of it and read his lips). The reason it makes such little sense on the face of it, is because there was much more going on than what initially meets the eye.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:28 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
It's been talked about here plenty. And yes, it was game 6. KG felt Howard was fouling him with his hand so he did a Karate Chop to deal with it. It was completely awesome.

It was, completely awesome. Howard hoodwinked everyone there though, including Van Gundy. He was being like a little brother -- provoking, getting smacked, whining to the ref, getting smacked again, Garnett looks like the bad guy who did what he did without provocation.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 01:54:54 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

FINALLY.....Someone with a BRAIN....Geeze---I saw it as it was happening...Howard was totally DIGGING into KG's side---it was NOT a hand check---it was a DIRTY ploy by Howard to get a reaction/Tech on KG----What is wrong with everyone who CANNOT see this?...But, then again---I also saw Tyson's FIRST bite on Holyfield's ear--when nobody else in the room did---morons!!

What amazes me is that people don't stop to wonder the obvious: Why?? Why would KG, one of the players who has been hand-checked more than most anyone else still in the NBA, be reacting so violently to something that goes on ALL the time?? Just to make some dumb excuse to whack Howard's arm and make himself look like a fool and get a Tech in the process? Come on! This is a guy who has shown incredible restraint over and over. The guy was getting five sharpened little fingernail daggers being thrust in his side, and he was sick of Dwight's sissy tactics! He was saying just that to the official, (you can hear part of it and read his lips). The reason it makes such little sense on the face of it, is because there was much more going on than what initially meets the eye.

You can see it at around 0:33 seconds on the video.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 02:16:16 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

You know what? Then KG got suckered. This stuff goes on every game. KG has little tricks he does to get under other guys skins as well. He should know better. It was a dumb move on his part. I love KG but it was foolish. I guess all us out there who have a little perspective are just blind. KG overreacted. These tricks go on all the time to get under players skins. It isn't the crime of the century.

And, not a personal attack, but the ALL CAPS thing...well, it can be a bit much to take some times. We get it. You are yelling everything.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:57:50 AM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't care if DH was digging his nails in or not.
A hand check is designed to feel for your assignment while watching the ball movement, not to let stronger players impede the progress of weaker sometimes more tallented players and gain an advantage!
DH was using his hand to   Hold  KG so he could not set picks or move without the ball.
I am glad he did it and I have done similar things on the court to force the officials to do their job.

blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You know honestly... I had a different opinion of it.

I don't know if Howard was digging his fingers into KG or not.  I don't think it mattered.  I think Howard had countless dirty plays throughout the course of the series.  He was elbowing people left and right.   He pulled Pierce to the ground, pushed Rondo, knocked out Big Baby... and those elbows were clearly dangerous.   From Howard's perspective, it is pure intimidation.  It tells opponents to be careful trying to defend him.  It makes opponents hesitate to battle for rebounds or body up on him.  It was working... Towards the end of game 5, our players were playing scared of Dwight.  Those elbows were in danger of getting in Boston's head.  All the hype leading up to game 6 was that the Celtics needed to send in a Scalabrine to "take out Howard".   

Within the first few minutes of game 6, that play happened and I like to think it was intentional.  KG is insane.  He's one of the most intimidating players in the league.  Instead of sending in Scal... KG finds some reason to flip out... and then literally flips out and overreacts.   They aren't going to toss KG for it 3 minutes into game 6... and KG had the "handcheck" excuse for his overreaction.  But what it actually did was tell Howard, "Look... play dirty and you may have to deal with a mentally deranged psychopath who will tear your skin off".   I think KG met mind games with mind games.  Message sent.   From that point on, Dwight wasn't going to intimidate ANYONE.   Game/Series over.

ANd yes... it was a handcheck.  And Boston rightfully had a reason to be frustrated with the lack of calls on Dwight leading up to game 6.  The NBA purposely fixed games 4 and 5 in order to extend the series and cash in on additional TV time.  KG whacking Howard solved 2 things.  #1 - Show Dwight that there were potential repercussions for his brand of intimidation and #2 - Overreact to a ref non-call, draw attention to a blatant missed call on Dwight, and make it clear that Boston wasn't going to sit idly by while another game was stolen from them by NBA shenanigans.   I can't read lips, but I like to think one of the things KG screamed to the ref was, "Call this game straight... or I'm going to break this kid's elbow... your choice".   The fact that no technical was called on KG was telling.   

KG is literally about to eat the ref in this picture... and the ref lets it slide.   Admission of guilt.  They know they fixed those games.  In Game 5, they tossed our best defense against Howard with a later recinded technical.  They were letting Howard get away with murder up until that point.   KG wasn't having it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:20:52 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 03:22:46 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
You know honestly... I had a different opinion of it.

I don't know if Howard was digging his fingers into KG or not.  I don't think it mattered.  I think Howard had countless dirty plays throughout the course of the series.  He was elbowing people left and right.   He pulled Pierce to the ground, pushed Rondo, knocked out Big Baby... and those elbows were clearly dangerous.   From Howard's perspective, it is pure intimidation.  It tells opponents to be careful trying to defend him.  It makes opponents hesitate to battle for rebounds or body up on him.  It was working... Towards the end of game 5, our players were playing scared of Dwight.  Those elbows were in danger of getting in Boston's head.  All the hype leading up to game 6 was that the Celtics needed to send in a Scalabrine to "take out Howard".   

Within the first few minutes of game 6, that play happened and I like to think it was intentional.  KG is insane.  He's one of the most intimidating players in the league.  Instead of sending in Scal... KG finds some reason to flip out... and then literally flips out and overreacts.   They aren't going to toss KG for it 3 minutes into game 6... and KG had the "handcheck" excuse for his overreaction.  But what it actually did was tell Howard, "Look... play dirty and you may have to deal with a mentally deranged psychopath who will tear your skin off".   I think KG met mind games with mind games.  Message sent.   From that point on, Dwight wasn't going to intimidate ANYONE.   Game/Series over.

ANd yes... it was a handcheck.  And Boston rightfully had a reason to be frustrated with the lack of calls on Dwight leading up to game 6.  The NBA purposely fixed games 4 and 5 in order to extend the series and cash in on additional TV time.  KG whacking Howard solved 2 things.  #1 - Show Dwight that there were potential repercussions for his brand of intimidation and #2 - Overreact to a ref non-call, draw attention to a blatant missed call on Dwight, and make it clear that Boston wasn't going to sit idly by while another game was stolen from them by NBA shenanigans.   I can't read lips, but I like to think one of the things KG screamed to the ref was, "Call this game straight... or I'm going to break this kid's elbow... your choice".   The fact that no technical was called on KG was telling.   

TP ... it was certainly much more than just a hand-check, but it was also the culmination of how much Howard had gotten away with to that point, the lack of calls being made against him, his dirty tactics, the hype from the media and people like us, (calling for some kind of retribution), and KG just plain being sick of all the favoritism in Dwight's direction. Whether he over-reacted or not is beside the point, I think ... he was sending a message to Howard and the officials, that he and the team had had enough ... and I loved it!

* BAHKU MUSIC *