Author Topic: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?  (Read 113835 times)

Re: Where's the best (and worst) places you ever traveled?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Anyone here ever vacation in Alabama?

The nominees for like a ten day thing in spring.....need guidance

Alabama
LA or San Fran or both
Hawaii
Iceland
Oregon/Washington....maybe there's a Twilight tour I can do and make Mrs. Eja happy
Tennessee
Detroit
New Orleans/Bama/Mississippi

I definitely recommend Iceland.
Can I eat whale there? That would bump it up a bit. Especially if whale is good. I keep looking for it here and not finding it

I ate no whale there, and I have no idea if it's available or not.

I can't actually remember what I ate, but I do remember it as one of the most magical places that I've ever been. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 08:35:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Alabama
LA or San Fran or both
Hawaii
Iceland
Oregon/Washington....maybe there's a Twilight tour I can do and make Mrs. Eja happy
Tennessee
Detroit

Can I eat whale there? That would bump it up a bit. Especially if whale is good. I keep looking for it here and not finding it

I can't actually remember what I ate, but I do remember it as one of the most magical places that I've ever been.
Magical? How magical are we talkin here?

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Alabama
LA or San Fran or both
Hawaii
Iceland
Tennessee
Detroit

Magical? How magical are we talkin here?

It's a little difficult for me to put a degree on magical, but swimming in the natural hot springs in January, while it was snowing on my head was an amazing experience.  The dusky, grey color of the sky during the few hours of light during that time of year was beautiful.  The sudden wind gusts that traveled through the streets of Rejkavik were exhilarating. 

We were only there for about three days, and we never left Rejkavik, but it is definitely a place that I want to go back to and spend more time exploring. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Ok. Iceland just went up a notch

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
You can use Icelandair to go to Europe. I believe they have this system where u can have a layover in Iceland for up to 7 days without any extra fees. Basically, on ur way to France, u can stop by Iceland, enjoy for a few days, then continue to France. 2 for 1 deal.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
You can use Icelandair to go to Europe. I believe they have this system where u can have a layover in Iceland for up to 7 days without any extra fees. Basically, on ur way to France, u can stop by Iceland, enjoy for a few days, then continue to France. 2 for 1 deal.

That's how we did it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Best: St. Croix (lived), Orlando/Captiva Island/Clearwater/Keys (Florida), Boracay/Quezon/Cebu (Philippines), Monhegan Island/Five Islands/Sebago Lake/Bar Harbor/Katahdin/Sugarloaf/Allagash River (Maine), New York City (lived), Washington (DC), Seattle (WA), Hamburg/Berlin (Germany), San Diego/Carmel/Monterey (California), Iceland, Kahoolawe, Molokai, Kauai (Hawaii),, Bermuda, Alaska, Montreal, Galapagos/Quito/Salinas (Ecuador), Machu Picchu (Peru), Veracruz (Mexico), London, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Reno, (shamelessly love Reno - what can I say?).

Worst: Camden (NJ), Gary (IND), Dorchester, Jamaica Plain (MA), San Juan (PR), Guayaquil (Ecuador), Harrisburg/Pittsburg (PA), Bridgeport (CT), Warwick, Cranston (RI), Bakersfield (CA), Skowhegan, Lewiston, Rumford (ME), Sau Paulo (Brazil), Cite Soliel (Haiti), Milwaukee (WI), Cleveland/Akron (OH), Baltimore (MD), Lima/Cusco (Peru), Makati/Paniqui/Santa Cruz (Philippines), Ruskin/Jacksonville/Eatonville/Palmetto (FL), Whitehorse (Yukon), Thule (Greenland), Scottsdale (AR).

Bucket List: Holy Land (Israel, Jordan, Palestine), Paris, Venice, Switzerland, Prague, Austria, Rome, Greece, Sicily, Crete, Australia, New Zealand, Rio De Janiero/Amazon River (Brazil - got sooo close), Egypt, China (Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Anhui, Hainan), Taiwan, Russia, Ukraine, Africa (Kilimanjaro, Madagascar, Serengeti, Sahara), Japan (Tokyo, Fuji, Kyoto, Okinawa), El Salvador, Cancun (Mexico), Trans Canada by train, Tahiti/Fiji/Bali/Tonga/Palau and I'm planning to move to Vanuatu (South Pacific) in the not-too-distant future, (seriously - already set in motion).

Oh, yeah ... also (for BL) Darwin, Minnesota, (Biggest Ball Of Twine), Pittsfield, Maine (Biggest Non-Stick Frying Pan), Alma, Arkansas (World's Largest Spinach Can), Garden City, Kansas (World's Largest Hairball), Beaumont, Texas (World's Largest Fire Hydrant - popular stop for Great Dane and St. Bernard owners), and Long Beach, Washington, (home of the World's Largest Squirting Clam). I can dream, can't I?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:53:23 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2013, 01:17:11 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The Best:

So far, Lake Tahoe. It's just nice out there.

The Worst:

Shenzhen, China. We went on a tour. The jade stores there does not let you of their establishments unless you buy something.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2013, 01:36:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Best travel experience: Key West

I've been mostly everywhere along the East Coast. From Maine to Florida, by plane train and automobile. The best I've seen is Key West.

It's touristy, and that kinda sucks. Bring money. Bring so much money. My wife (then GF) and I spent about 3 grand all things considered (probably closer to 4 actually) in the course of a week when including lodging (rented a condo for a week, best idea ever, $900). There are two things you must do while there that won't be in any guidebook:

1) Take the fast boat to the Dry Tortugas, and bring or rent snorkel gear. Amazing coral reefs, amazing fish, amazing straight out of Pirates of the carribean historical tour. I could've spent a week there, but since it was a military fort and prison, that might have been in poor choice. Im 100% sure it's haunted.

2) Rent a car, it MUST BE A CONVERTIBLE. Drive from Key West to Homestead Florida. Homestead sucks, but there is a place there called 'Robert Is Here'. It's a fruit stand that specializes in central and South American fruits that they grow on site. Get smoothies, preferably 2, one drank on-site, one drank on the way home. It's 100 miles of bridges weaving among the keys each way, and you should stop for meals coming and going along the way at a place with a waterfront view. Always get fresh fish. Maybe it's because I was 25 years old and in love, but I've never known a better time.

Key West Positives: Historical stuff, beaches , great nightlife, friendly people (AS LONG AS YOU BRING MONEY), more booze than John Daly could shake a empty vodka bottle at, and no open containers laws.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 02:58:14 AM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
i live in sacramento, so i will give a west coast take on this:

Reno is terrible

Lake Tahoe is wonderful

Carmel/Monterey is heavenly

San Fran is overrated and Overpriced

Maui, HI is just Magical. Best vacation/location i have ever been. not over priced, scenery is amazing, tons of things to do, and great people.

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2013, 07:01:16 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Lots of best places...usually the first time I go Anywhere.

A few worst places...usually on the way to the best places,  ;) .  For example, we are now on a trip, are in Winfield Kansas presently, at a bluegrass festival.  The trip here was wonderful...we drove from Clearwater, Florida stopping to see friends on the way.  In Louisiana we missed a turn and ended up on 7 miles of dirt road to get back to our "chosen route"...and after three miles noticed a swarm(?) of huge black spiders crossing the road!  That had to be one of the worst places...sort of like being in a horror movie!  I advise you to stay away from dirt roads in Louisiana.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
I'm from the Europe, the Netherlands so unfortunately never been in the states.

Best places:
- Rome
- Berlin
- Munich
- Croatia's coast (Split, Dubrovnik)
- Amsterdam (and no not for smoking, where everybody directly thinks about)
- Sevilla (andalucia in total is beautiful, im studying there right now)
- Chitzen Itza, Mexico
- Copenhagen
- Stockholm
- Norway because of the landscape, but it's so expensive
- Lisboa

Bucket list:
- TD Garden
- Boston in general
- San Fransisco
- South East Asia
- Paris
- Prague

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Alabama
LA or San Fran or both
Hawaii
Iceland
Tennessee
Detroit

I've been to Alabama. I remember it fondly, but I'm not sure it holds a candle to anywhere else on that list except for Detroit.

Tennessee has an incredible amount of music history if you're into that sort of thing.

LA is worth visiting if only to get a grasp on just how much of American culture comes from there. It's pretty incredible once you think about it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The Best:

So far, Lake Tahoe. It's just nice out there.

The Worst:

Shenzhen, China. We went on a tour. The jade stores there does not let you of their establishments unless you buy something.
What exactly do you mean they don't let you out?  Do they do this to everyone, or just tourists? Can you just put it on the credit card and then dispute it?

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I've loved a bunch of spots some of my more memorable and distant trips:

Railay Bay and Ko Phi Phi - Thailand

Fraser Island (stars at night was one of the most amazing sites ive ever seen)and Whitsunday Islands - Australia

All places I don't want to go back but need to go back to. Will be severely dissapointed if I don't make it back in my life time.

I do still have plenty of places to travel including a lot of Europe.

Hopefully Brazil for WC this summer and Munich next years oktoberfest. Maybe those will get bumped up on best place to travel
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:48:10 PM by CelticG1 »