Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 400472 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #705 on: November 14, 2019, 08:18:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I love Luka.

Dude smiles a LOT.

Will probably give you the shirt off his back and then turn around and bury a dagger three in your face.

« Reply #706 on: November 14, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 603
I love Luka.

Dude smiles a LOT.

Will probably give you the shirt off his back and then turn around and bury a dagger three in your face.

I don't like how the league is kissing up to him already. I hate superstar treatment to any players.

« Reply #707 on: November 14, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I love Luka.

Dude smiles a LOT.

I don't like how the league is kissing up to him already. I hate superstar treatment to any players.

He deserves it - dude is almost unreal.

One of the most talented players I've seen come into the league in a few years.....reminds me a ton of Larry.

Dude almost carved us up by himself the other day, too....once DAL gets enough pieces around him, look out.

« Reply #708 on: November 14, 2019, 08:32:31 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
I love Luka.

Dude smiles a LOT.

One of the most talented players I've seen come into the league in a few years.....reminds me a ton of Larry.

Dude almost carved us up by himself the other day, too....once DAL gets enough pieces around him, look out.

He's fine on his own. Don't need extra preferential treatment, especially from the refs.

« Reply #709 on: November 14, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
That pass was Bird-Like.....

« Reply #710 on: November 14, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I love Luka.

Dude smiles a LOT.

He's fine on his own. Don't need extra preferential treatment, especially from the refs.
You're right, but it's sadly the state of the NBA. Harden & Giannis get it the most in my book.

Sadly not sure it'll change anytime soon
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #711 on: November 14, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
I don't think Ben Simmons has regressed. I believe his stats are down due to the makeup of his team. More hands to feed on offense and more rebounders competing for boards.

Philly are outrebounding teams by 7 boards a game so far this season after out-rebounding teams by 4 last year. This makes sense. They have phenomenal size. Embiid and Horford together. Then Tobias Harris and Ben Simmons on the wings (both PF size players). Then Josh Richardson (SG size) at PG.

Simmons' assists are down a bit from 7.9 to 6.6 but part of that is down to their bad shooting to start the season. Another part due to their dodgy spacing (team makeup). And another part due to having so many hands to feed. All 5 starters are quality offensive players who need to touch the ball and be involved in the offense. It is more of a shared load now than before. Same with Simmons' points per game.

I don't think those stats (ppg, rpg, apg) show regression. It is more about the team that they have now and how that group operates. More size. More rebounders. More perimeter defensive assignments for Simmons. More hands to feed on offense. More of a shared load. Dominant defensive group with dodgy spacing limiting their offense.

Does this argument hold true for all his advanced stats too? It looks like all of his advanced stats are down also... also I am not necessarily sure I buy the more mouths to feed argument. JJ Reddick shot 13.5 times a game last year and so did Jimmy in his time in Philly that is about 26-27 shots freed up every game (this is almost exactly what Horford and Richardson are going for) . On top of that Embid has missed 4 games so far of 11 (Horford also skipped one) so he has definitely had times to shine and some games with even more opportunity. Seems like just kind of a blind defense of simmons with no substance.... he has been bad compared to last year.

Some advanced stats like wins shares and PER would be greatly effected by this, yes. I don't know about some other stuff like box +/- (I don't think that one should be effected).

His offensive rating and defensive rating are both down. Also curious why you think Horford and Richardson are more mouths to feed than reddick and butler?
Defensive rating on basketball reference? Defensive rebounding plays a big role in that. Offensive rating would be effected too by lower assists and reduced scoring.

Yeah, I have been thinking about what you wrote - that was a good point, Horford & Richardson vs Jimmy B and Redick - I am not sure what to think about that.

When I wrote my initial comment, I was thinking mostly of the team Philly was before the trades. When Ben Simmons had more free reign.

Tobias Harris only played a small portion of the season with them last year after arriving at the trade deadline (1/3rd of season). Jimmy Butler played 2/3rds of the season.

I was interested in what Simmons numbers were after the trade deadline so I looked them up and they were very good. Similar to his numbers prior to the trade deadline. Then I looked at his numbers in the playoffs and his numbers are similar to what they are this season. Not sure what that means.

That Philly team post trade deadline had same issue at this year's team = lots of hands to feed and not enough touches / shots to go around. Some guys had to sacrifice last year. They will this year too.

« Reply #712 on: November 14, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It could be as simple as Simmons has stagnated/not gotten much better and that the league has learned how to make him less effective. If the league has figured out how to limit Simmons and his lack of growth gives him no new skills to counter the measures being used against him, you will see similar but slightly less good overall stats, much like what is happening.

« Reply #713 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
RJ Barrett destroyed Luka!  :o

« Reply #714 on: November 14, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
RJ Barrett destroyed Luka!  :o
How so :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #715 on: November 14, 2019, 09:43:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
It could be as simple as Simmons has stagnated/not gotten much better and that the league has learned how to make him less effective. If the league has figured out how to limit Simmons and his lack of growth gives him no new skills to counter the measures being used against him, you will see similar but slightly less good overall stats, much like what is happening.

Yea, and you have to wonder what is Simmons deal. Baynes and Lopez were able to add a three point shot in their 30’s. Heck even someone like Drummond has extended his range. It’s tough to not look at Simmons going back to his LSU days and think there is something with him already thinking he is a superstar. I could be totally wrong, but he seems to really believe his own hype

« Reply #717 on: November 14, 2019, 09:50:48 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #718 on: November 14, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Yea, and you have to wonder what is Simmons deal. Baynes and Lopez were able to add a three point shot in their 30’s. Heck even someone like Drummond has extended his range. It’s tough to not look at Simmons going back to his LSU days and think there is something with him already thinking he is a superstar. I could be totally wrong, but he seems to really believe his own hype

I was watching the cavs 76ers game and even Tristan Thompson was able to hit 2 threes! Its kind of jarring that Simmons wont even take them.

« Reply #719 on: November 14, 2019, 10:37:51 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Clippers are shooting themselves in the foot with load management. Its hard to develop chemistry when your best players are not playing with each other.