Author Topic: 2024 Olympics  (Read 11992 times)

Re: 2024 Olympics
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 01:58:42 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Joel Embiid on the team makes them unlikable and unwatchable, really can’t stand the guy

What don’t you like about Embiid?

Personally I am disappointed that Embiid chose to the US over his home nation.

Embiid & Pascal Siakam would have been a formidable front court. I believe Nicolas Batum’s father was from Cameroon and he’s previously stated a desire to play for the african nation before he retired.

A competitive Olympics is what’s best for international basketball.
Is Siakam playing for Cameroon?  As I understand it, Cameroon still has to play their way into the Olympics by winning a 6-team tournament. 

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2024, 05:01:25 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Joel Embiid on the team makes them unlikable and unwatchable, really can’t stand the guy

Embiid & Pascal Siakam would have been a formidable front court. I believe Nicolas Batum’s father was from Cameroon and he’s previously stated a desire to play for the african nation before he retired.

Is Siakam playing for Cameroon?  As I understand it, Cameroon still has to play their way into the Olympics by winning a 6-team tournament.

No unfortunately not.

The best example of a nationalistic player is Buddy Hield. Hield remained committed to the Bahamas and I’m sure it helped bring in Deandre Ayton & Eric Gordon.

These small international teams need nationalism to help financially boost their programs.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 05:14:10 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2024, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

No unfortunately not.

The best example of a nationalistic player is Buddy Hield. Hield remained committed to the Bahamas and I’m sure it helped bring in Deandre Ayton & Eric Gordon.

These small international teams need nationalism to help financially boost their programs.

I completely agree. It also makes the tournament more fun. South Sudan did really well thanks the Lion Dengs support. I waist Banchero would also play for Italy too. Even Canada would have a strong team if their players played for them.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2024, 06:29:10 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

No unfortunately not.

It's certainly hard to deny the sincere Bahamian nationalism of Indiana-born, FIBA gold medalist for Team USA Eric Gordon, who has never lived in the Bahamas for a significant period or played for their national team before being allowed to switch in 2023 at the age of 34 - a point where most small shooting guards are at their absolute peak.

I get that he's a dual national, and he's probably proud of being Bahamian, but c'mon. Ayton and Heild have been with the Bahamian national team since 2016 and 2014, respectively. Who is 'bringing in' whom?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Well as someone who has multiple citizenships Embiid had the luxury of choosing who to play for, since all those countries wanted him to play for their program and he qualified. And he wants a gold medal, and figures his best chance is with Team USA. Self-interest is usually what drives these decisions. As for Buddy, DeAndre and Eric, if they all had a chance of being picked for Team USA I'm sure they would be picking that as well, because it's the best chance for a medal. As Kernewek mentioned, Gordon was born American but qualified for the Bahamas due to parentage. The same as Jordan Clarkson for the Philippines - he has no connection to the country, never lived there, doesn't speak the language, probably can't sing the national anthem - but he qualified due to a parent being Filipino. There's a certain amount of transactionalism with it, both from the player and the team.

I do get the sentiment of wanting the lesser teams to be more competitive, but it happens in all sports - France has a lot of players in soccer who also qualify for African countries due to ancestry but they're playing for Les Bleus because that's the best chance to win a World Cup.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D